///M5

Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit

Sick of networking BS between my XP & Win 7 machines with some on a domain and some not, so I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade.

My hardware (i7 quad) is fine to support it, plan on just adding another hdd so that I can switch boot drives if necessary.

The computer will run:

Internet - primarily

Office suite - Word/Excel/Powerpoint

Interface with my Canon video camera & DSLR with associated LIGHT editing

Act as a home automation machine - currently 90% of what I have will run on either

Absolutely no gaming atm

Pretty simple tasks, but what I've read knocks the 64 bit for some availability and capability of running some programs. Curious if there are other limitations as well.

Anything over 4GB of ram you will need 64bit, I've been running 64bit for as long as I can remember. I have yet to have any problems with compatibility because you can run it in 32bit compatibility mode for that program.

I'd suggest a 64bit operating system because you could later upgrade to 4,8,16, and even 32GB of ram. I presently have a similar setup on my laptop Win 7 Quad I7 and 8GB of ram with 2GB of video ram and it's speed as all get out.

While I am asking about Windows, curious if anyone has anything other than the Archos 9 tablet to recommend that will run native Windows 7 as well. I'd prefer a 7" screen, but can go bigger if I have to. I need this for a remote control.

I would run 64 bit hands down just for the ease of backwards compatibility.

No input to add on the tablets

I'd go for 64bit, I haven't ran into capability issues.

Asus has this: http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Slate_EP121/

12" lcd

Acer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215081&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Tablet+PC+-+Tablets-_-Acer+America-_-34215081

10.2" lcd

Viewsonic: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7294885&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

This one can run either windows 7 home or android.

10" lcd

I don't know much about any of them, but If I was to chose solely on the computer, I'd opt for Asus.

Those are just a few that I found when googling "windows 7 tablet" :P

Those would be "big" remotes and expensive. Thanks for googling, I did that as well but found no 7" ones.

As for the 64, sounds like a unanimous, but perhaps I should word the question slightly differently to make sure. Any downfalls with 64?

Is the difference of Professional to Home Premium just the log in for domains?

As for the 64, sounds like a unanimous, but perhaps I should word the question slightly differently to make sure. Any downfalls with 64?

Nope

No. 64-bit has been around for a long time, Microsoft is just catching up. There used to be a time where everyone worried about drivers and such for the Microsoft OS. However, that time has passed. You will only see benefits going to a 64-bit operating system. Like other have mentioned, it's backwards compatible so you shouldn't run into any issues even with 32-bit programs and drivers.

64 bit all the way.. I fought it for a bit ... I converted with Vista Ultimate to the 64 bit arch ... Now running 7 Ultimate 64 bit and loving it... Driver support is not an issue unless you are using older product... Camera won't be an issue BTW.. Any old hardware that you're using around the house?

Tablets... I don't like them ... Are you just using it as a remote control for your PC???

This: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-language-Multi-touch-Scrolling-Supporting-Kp-810-10a/dp/B004KOBCWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318461030&sr=8-2

The tablet will ONLY be a remote control with a GUI that I lay out. That is why I want it small.

Just ordered the 64 bit Pro. Figured if I didn't I'd find a reason to remote desktop in the first week and be pissed. Only $40 more than Home, probably a no brainer.

Thanks for the help. :)

Oh, still open for 7" touchscreens that run native Windows. If you see any (in particular that aren't fucking expensive) I'd love to know :)

Looks like most of the smaller display tablets run android and you don't find Win7 until you get up to a 10" lcd.

Why does it have to be windows? The market is flooded with Android tablets at good prices, what particular program are you trying to run?

Why does it have to be windows? The market is flooded with Android tablets at good prices, what particular program are you trying to run?

Running custom home automation software.

Android "works" but the interface is either through a software translator client or and RDP. While both are functional, it then won't replace the hard buttons on my remote as the lag will kill you when trying to use FFWD on the DVR to skip commercials. I need a very non-latent connection direct to my machine to insure I can do this. Pretty much for everything else an Android is fine and I can easily use my phone for it, but that doesn't allow me to be rid of the IR/RF push button remotes. Considering the rest of the interface is so sexy, that isn't something I want to keep laying around. (currently what I am doing).

Of course since I have a current solution (and usually have my laptop on my lap anyways) I am not in a rush, but figure that I am not near as tech savvy as many of you on here and flat out don't notice when new stuff comes up and was hoping someone on here might.

I have gone back and forth on posting a build log on what I am running, but considering it is also controlling/interfacing with my security system I have chosen not to atm. Maybe once I integrate some CCTV and other goodies I will anyways though.

Having stuff like the temperature of the pork butt that is sitting on your charcoal smoker on your remote is rather wicked :) Knowing what room has what music playing, where the lights are on in the house, which doors are open, what the sprinklers are doing, what temperature which zone is at and such doesn't suck either.

Sounds pretty fun, just have to set up the sprinklers to fire with the beat of a song playing. :D

My relays aren't that fast, but in college I put together a light controller to do that. Too cheap to buy one, lol.

My relays aren't that fast, but in college I put together a light controller to do that. Too cheap to buy one, lol.

Ever build a 3-axis cnc? Just a small one with a router, 3 motors for movement.

Ever build a 3-axis cnc? Just a small one with a router, 3 motors for movement.

Um, no. I'd take one if you are offering.

Way to be on topic Stefan :P

Android "works" but the interface is either through a software translator client or and RDP. While both are functional, it then won't replace the hard buttons on my remote as the lag will kill you when trying to use FFWD on the DVR to skip commercials. I need a very non-latent connection direct to my machine to insure I can do this. Pretty much for everything else an Android is fine and I can easily use my phone for it, but that doesn't allow me to be rid of the IR/RF push button remotes. Considering the rest of the interface is so sexy, that isn't something I want to keep laying around. (currently what I am doing).

Of course since I have a current solution (and usually have my laptop on my lap anyways) I am not in a rush, but figure that I am not near as tech savvy as many of you on here and flat out don't notice when new stuff comes up and was hoping someone on here might.

I have gone back and forth on posting a build log on what I am running, but considering it is also controlling/interfacing with my security system I have chosen not to atm. Maybe once I integrate some CCTV and other goodies I will anyways though.

Having stuff like the temperature of the pork butt that is sitting on your charcoal smoker on your remote is rather wicked :) Knowing what room has what music playing, where the lights are on in the house, which doors are open, what the sprinklers are doing, what temperature which zone is at and such doesn't suck either.

Thank you for making me feel less lazy :P Us poor folk gotta do things the old fashion way.....

Thank you for making me feel less lazy :P Us poor folk gotta do things the old fashion way.....

None of it was expensive, just a lot of work to implement.

What all are you using software wise? Just curious.

I don't know shit about computers or the software, but I am running 64 bit and have no issues. I've loaded some extremely old and new software as well with zero issues. Actually, this is probably the most stable OS I've ever used.