So i want to upgrade. But not immediately. like. May not upgrade for a whiiile. But have chance to get a bigger amp.

so total hypothetical. I currently have an AQ1200 in my truck with full 4 gauge wires off stock alt and batt.

could I, run an 2k amp off of this set up. Never goin over like, probably quarter gain to half. (prollly long time before that amp would clip)

2k amp being a db drive okur 2k.

I know anything above 1.5k comes with 1/0 inputs. But could i run it off of the 4 gauge til i can upgrade the rest of the set up is my basic question.

Any of your guys' vast knowledge would be great!! thanks in advance!

I would not run that large of an amplifier off of 4 gauge regardless of the position of the gain.

I would, but not if you say half or a quarter. When setup to not exceed your supply its fine, but that may not be trivial for you considering how you asked the question

To be honest I wouldn't even worry about "upgrading" to a 2kw amp from a 1200w amp unless this is a competition SPL system. By the time you factor in power compression the audible difference between 2kw and 1200w is going to be minimal.

ya anything over 1500w i would use 1/0 gauge wire...

What M5 said is right..

But i say dont run it.If it exceeds your electrical capabilities why run it?. It will heat up fast and wont be as efficient. I had the same question/situation.. And it didnt work out too well. Its nothing but worries..

I wouldnt run it.

What M5 was sayin is what i was thinking. Like. If it was set up correctly. I could run the 2k off of 4 gauge wire. But then upgrade and take it up a notch. But. Entire electrical is gonna get upgraded eventually. Lookin into a deka batt to put in my truck soon-ish. Then i'll end up upgrading to 1/0 at the same time. and maybe upgrading to a decent 1500watt amp. whole system is gettin revamped eventually. lol.

Thanks for all the input guys!

if the gain is at 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4, that doesnt mean that fraction of its rated wattage, it depends on the signal voltage.

What M5 was sayin is what i was thinking. Like. If it was set up correctly. I could run the 2k off of 4 gauge wire. But then upgrade and take it up a notch. But. Entire electrical is gonna get upgraded eventually. Lookin into a deka batt to put in my truck soon-ish. Then i'll end up upgrading to 1/0 at the same time. and maybe upgrading to a decent 1500watt amp. whole system is gettin revamped eventually. lol.

Let me just clarify.

What I said was if you electrical and wiring will healthily support 100w then I don't care if its from a 100w amp or a 10,000w amp (assuming similar topologies & efficienies) as either will be fine playing that 100w.

*yes you can replace the 100w with whatever number you like

Let me just clarify.

What I said was if you electrical and wiring will healthily support 100w then I don't care if its from a 100w amp or a 10,000w amp (assuming similar topologies & efficienies) as either will be fine playing that 100w.

*yes you can replace the 100w with whatever number you like

Makes total sense to me.

Thanks.

I've decided to just say screw it. Gonna save up. buy everything and upgrade her all at once. stead of lil at a time.

thanks for all the advice guys!!