little_yellow

fi bl 10 wiring issue

so i wired up my 4 fi bl 1ohm dvc subs up to my kicker zx2500.1. have them all wired up to a 2 ohm load(checked with a ohm meter) and it doesnt sound good at all. i get it past quarter volume and it starts to distort and sound like crap. im positive its something in my wiring but i cant seem to find out what. i have no idea how to post pictures on here. i followed a rockford fosgate wiring diagram

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4204724#post4204724

not sure if im allowed to do that lol but there is a picture of how i wired it on there.

Edited by little_yellow

Wire up one sub at a time and check to see what happens. If the sub distorts how you saw it does then it may be your amp.

Check each coil of each sub also to check for any weird impeadences.

all the subs checked out at .7 to .9 of a ohm. checked them all before putting them in the box. ill try testing one or two individually. found a different way to wire it also. might try that if each sub sounds good on its own

Edited by little_yellow

i just quickly went out and hooked up one sub and its still doing the same thing.........didnt do it before with the other subs. new rca not near power. new deck. 4 weeks old. new amp. same time as deck and rca cables. im soo lost right now.

:fing34: I'm anxious to see what you find out! Let us know!

ok rewired it and still nothing different. could it have anything to do with break in?

i put a video on youtube of it. its hard to hear but near the end of the video you can hear how it gets louder and quieter. when it gets louder is when it distorts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1996yellow?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/pacUhsbpjlw

im rnning out of ideas. hooked it up to a different stereo and it did the same thing. it has to be my wiring. i was thinking one of the subs had a issue but all 4 of them do it when hooked up solo. so any help would be great because im beyond lost now.

Did you say you checked each one individually? If not, do that, I've seen on the forums a few times that sometimes one of the dustcaps isn't glued on propperly.

Have you used that box for other subs before?

Does the baffle of the box seem to move at all?

Have you used that same amp for the same wiring set-up?

Why are you running 4 10's in a 14.8 cubic foot box?

You do know that the biggest box you should be running is 6 cubic feet right? It also looks like you've got the coils wired out of phase.

used the box for 2 w7 in one side before i sold them. same amp and everything. i havent touched anything since i have the other subs in there and it sounded very good. nothing in the box moves. not even a little.......lol. i did test 2 subs individually and still the same. i thought it could be the amp but i ran long speaker wires to a friends truck and it still did it. so different amp headunit and truck all together. i think it could be something to do with wiring inside of the box. seeing as i have tried 2 different ways of wiring and still the same problem. it doesnt sound like a loose dust cap. and they all do it not just one. im going to pull one or 2 of the subs out of the box tonight maybe and see if anything went wrong in there but i dont see how it could have.

did you measure the ohms at the amp ??

yeah i did. read out at just under 2 ohms. i didnt think that the box could be too big????? its 14.8 cubes total. it angles in at the front and there is a divider in it. i think i figured it out to be about 5 cubes a side. is that still too big? how come my w7 sounded so good in there?

so my box in total should only be 6 cubes? total????? thats not good to hear. with all the time and money into this build.

so my box in total should only be 6 cubes? total????? thats not good to hear. with all the time and money into this build.

I believe he was referring to your net volume.

What is the current net volume and tuning?

Sealed box: N/A cuft | N/A cuft

Ported box: .7-1.5cuft | .7-1.5cuft

Sub OD: 11.000” | 11.000”

Cut ID: 9.250” | 9.250”

Mounting depth: 6.250” | 6.250”

Displacement: 0.16cuft | 0.16cuft

Really 1.1 cubic feet per 10 is optimal..1.5 is on the extreme large end of things.

You're over twice as big as it should be, and I still think you have coils wired of of phase because the subs are not moving in a box that is over twice as big as it should be (which is less then half of the mechanical compliance that it should have)..or you have your crossovers way out of whack and it's just playing 90+hz.

i checked the settings and it all seems to be good. it sounded good with the 2 w7 in there so thats why i was concerned with how this sounded. it doesnt get gradually worse as you turn it up. it goes from sounding good to bad with just one notch up. i may have to redesign my box it sounds like. im going to take the subs out of the box tomorrow and check wiring on them. i tried 2 different wiring diagrams on them. one from rockford and one from 12volt.com. sounds the same wired both ways so im not sure that there wired out of phase. they all move the same distance out and at the same time. they dont move very much because the volume is very low. i cant turn it up much at all before it starts to do its thing.

thank you for the help. i have another box that i am going to try 2 in tomorrow to see how it sounds. i just dont know why it sounded so good with the other subs and then this way with these.

What kind of head unit do you have? If you can check for clipping then do so.

But seems like your subs are out of phase. Happened to me before

Edited by orlando144

ill check wiring this morning. i dont have a way to check for clipping. i have a brand new pioneer AVH-P6300BT.

how do i post pictures on here? i have pictures of all my settings on my amp and headunit.

checked the wiring on them everything was good. put them in the old box that i used to have before the blow trough and it still did the same thing. volume went up to 9 but as soon as you turned it to 10 it made that sound again. is there any way possible that something is wrong with the subs? i know its basically impossible to have something defective to all 4 of them but im running out of options.

Edited by little_yellow

You aren't going to have something wrong with 4 subs man, post a picture of how you have them wired since you have them out of the box anyhow..like physical picture of the wires in the terminals.

Upload your pictures onto photo bucket, and use the image link, then just copy and paste it onto your post

that sounds like soo much work......where is the attach a file button? lol i wasnt trying to say that there is something wrong with the subs or blame the problem on them. im just wondering if there is a 1 in a gillion chance lol. the only other think i think it could be is my ipod. i should have mentioned that before but i didnt think about it till today. when i tried my subs on my buddies amp and stereo i used my ipod on his to test it out. i never tried a cd on it. i have never used a cd lol. i didnt mention it before. i didnt even think about it till this afternoon after my subs were out and fully disconnected. so im going to put it all back together tomorrow. ill take pictures of it all to show how its connected. and ill test it out on a cd or sd card. something other then my ipod.