little_yellow

fi bl 10 wiring issue

So i just did some rough calculating, and i'm sure i'm off, but not off by much. I'm getting (for the whole box) 8.0 cubic feet NET and tuned to 24 hz (going off 8 cubes, and 80 sq in of port, and port being 40" long). If that's the case, no wonder it's not sounding good. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think i'm far off.

average playing the way i used to have it set up was around 30. never over 30 tho. mine only goes up to 40. the old ones used to go higher. when i calculated my box i had it roughly at 32-35hz. and thats what i was told by someone. im not saying they were right but thats what i had figured and what i was told.

im not trying to be a burden on anyone. im just very unhappy spending that much money on subs and it sounding like it does. i know it wont sound as good as its supposed to with the size but im worried about the sound the subs make when its turned up. i did try it in another box and they did the same noise. so thats why i dont want to hack this one up before i get a 100% answer. and thats also why im in no rush to make a new one seeing as i tried them in another box and it didnt change the sound any.

i do plan on changing the design of this box. i can hack about 10-13 inches off the back of it without changing too much. i can also make the port thinner shorter wider longer anything else. if someone feels ambitious and wants to take a stab at it they could design me a box :) lol. keep the front the way it is and change the port dimensions and how much they would like me to cut off the back.

like i said i am willing to change the box size. but i do want a 100% answer it is going to change the sound. which no one can say that because of the box i tried it in to see what it changed. i know im awfully repetitive but it seems sooo many people miss the simple things and re ask them lol. i have seem videos online of one bl 12 in a regular cab behind the seat box and it had more flex and was louder then anything i have ever had. now i have 4 and i get nothing out of them. i want to be loud! lol thats why i came here. i know your have a great reputation and sell amazing stuff. but i need to get this figured out or im at a huge loss.

Edited by little_yellow

Just did some quick figuring:

If you literally lop 10" off from the back (including the port going straight into the box), that will give you 6 cubes net (after sub and port displacement), and your port will be 30" long giving you a 31 hz tuning. So 1.5 cubes per sub will on the high end, but at least it's the high end of recommended. And a 31 hz tune is great for Bl's to get nasty low and still be very loud (my box is tuned to 29 and is straight up nasty).

Do you have a better pic of you wiring setup? Or can you explain exactly how you have it set up? Looking at the pic, if your red and black terminals do actually denote positive and negative, it looks like your wiring is the issue. From what I can tell it looks as if you have it wired like this.

whatyouhave.png

But it should look like this for a 2 ohm load.

whatyouneed.gif

Sorry for the rough first drawing. They don't have a wiring diagram for that setup. But I think your box is too big as well. I had a btl n2 12" in a ("professionally" designed) box at about 3.9 cubes, and it would hit the lows great, but it had no top end, and it start to sound distorted past a certain level. I just never pushed it past that point due to not wanting to possibly damage the sub.

that is the wiring diagram that i used and that is how i have it wired. the only thing to change from you picture that you professionally drew (sorry but i had to) both negatives are on the bottom and both positives are on the top

fiwiring.jpg

as you can see im also a professional lol. i know it gets a little mixed up because of the colors on the ring terminals. but its because of the way it used to be wired with the old wiring diagram. but all the bolts have red or black on them for the terminal. so i dont get it mixed up that way.

That's wrong, you don't have coils hooked up. Follow the diagrams I made below step by step and you will be correct. Every terminal should have wire in it.

296501_847158246233_31207891_39506455_628453511_n.jpg

296501_847158261203_31207891_39506456_775210471_n.jpg

296501_847158271183_31207891_39506457_1582408762_n.jpg

296501_847158276173_31207891_39506458_1501775042_n.jpg

If you take all of the wires off of the top of your box and take a picture of your studs I will draw how the wires exactly need to go on your picture.

after going through..and trying to figure what you've got goinig on wiring wise, I think you've only got 2 subs playing..if that

so now that's a 14 cube box..with 2 live subs..and 2 passive radiators throwing the tuning even farther off :)

Umm...you're going to hear 3dB of difference..possibly more with double the amount of power (assuming he has around 500 watts a sub now)

I'm sorry, but i can't hear a 3db difference well at levels above 135db.

And i am talking about music, no tones..

Umm...you're going to hear 3dB of difference..possibly more with double the amount of power (assuming he has around 500 watts a sub now)

That sounds like a personal problem. Lol!

Do you mean that if you heard 137 and then 140 back to back it would sound the same?

Or do you mean that if you heard 135 to start with and I rolled the volume up you wouldn't notice? Because it's a very big difference.

Apparently I've just got freakishly good hearing..

I can hear the power supply operate in my laptop as well as my flash light charger when it is plugged into the wall.

3dB is a huge difference to me.

after going through..and trying to figure what you've got goinig on wiring wise, I think you've only got 2 subs playing..if that

so now that's a 14 cube box..with 2 live subs..and 2 passive radiators throwing the tuning even farther off :)

I agree because in his video..it looked like only two where moving......just my .02

it does look like that i know. its the way the subs are angled in towards eachother. ill try to take another video tonight. im currently re wiring them to the diagram that nick gave me. thanks for all the help.

im not sure what you mean by every teminal should have wire in it. i know what you mean im not retarded lol. i just mean was that directed towards the way mine are wired? i do have a wire coming off every terminal. ill wire it up the way you have drawn then take a picture so you can see first hand.

The way you have your diagram wired is wrong..you are only powering 2 woofers and the rest is sort of along for a ride. You have 2 positives of one sub going to a negative of the 2nd one..(that is not series), you always series first, then parallel together, then series after that.

If you do it how I made the diagram, it'l work fine...

Again, if you take a picture of the top of the box with no wires on it and tell me which studs are + and - for each sub, I'll draw it on the picture.

Do you mean that if you heard 137 and then 140 back to back it would sound the same?

Or do you mean that if you heard 135 to start with and I rolled the volume up you wouldn't notice? Because it's a very big difference.

No, i mean if you hear one guys setup, then walk around for a bit and listen to other setups and then go the one that is 3db louder then the first one.

And who says you get a 3db increase, that is a maximal theoretical increase in reality it's closer to 2db then 3db..

Apparently I've just got freakishly good hearing..

I can hear the power supply operate in my laptop as well as my flash light charger when it is plugged into the wall.

3dB is a huge difference to me.

I can hear that too(and the high freq buzz of a old tv), but above a certain sound pressure level it doesn't really matters that much i can feel that it is louder but the sound isn't that much louder to the ear.(in my opinion)

EDIT: but nevermind, were offtopic.

Edited by kirill007

so did your wiring. only one problem. its a 1 ohm load being put on the amp. my amp is 2 ohm stable.

so did your wiring. only one problem. its a 1 ohm load being put on the amp. my amp is 2 ohm stable.

so what did it sound like?

currently swapping pictures. give me 5 min. red posts on the top black posts on the bottom

left and right coils respectively as they would be on the sub

my amp wouldnt run them. it cut out

IMG-20111025-00070.jpg

IMG-20111025-00067.jpg

IMG-20111025-00066.jpg

Edited by little_yellow

If I'm looking at it right you still dont have it hooked up right. You only have one coil on each sub hooked up(the coil on each right set of bolts). That's why u are getting a one ohm load.

You need to swap around the cables on the red bolts on each sub.

ok i see now my bad.

maybe i am retarded lol i looked at his diagram wrong.

Ok switched the wires on the negatives around. still getting the same sound out of it.

Edited by little_yellow