little_yellow

fi bl 10 wiring issue

Nicks graph is Just like yours but your terminals are positioned differently.

yeah that was my bad. i have it wired properly now. it reads 1.6 ohm on the dmm

so is the problem solved?

nope. still sounds the same. nothing has changed from the 3 different ways that i have wired it now.

mike- yeah i know lol. and it seems like im getting good answers from alot of people but not ones that are making it sound better lol

nope. still sounds the same. nothing has changed from the 3 different ways that i have wired it now.

mike- yeah i know lol. and it seems like im getting good answers from alot of people but not ones that are making it sound better lol

lol...man i wish i was right there in front of your install...that way i could really help lol...but im sure you will get it....with the help of all of the knowledgeable guys on here

i wish you were here to lol. i wish there was a stereo store closer to me. i just dont understand how i cant seem to figure this out. i have done around 15-20 installs and never had a single problem with them. this is my biggest yet but still lol.

Ok so what's the verdict with the box?

Have you tried running a jumper wire from a friends amp in another car to see if they still sound the same?

Have you ran jumpers for the 2 10's in the other box from a completely separate vehicle to see if they still sound the same?

alberta near edmonton.

i did try running my subs on someone elses system. they made the sound. i tried running 2 of them in a much much smaller box roughly 1.3 cubes per sub. still made the noise. wasnt as bad but could still hear it. ran my setup off 2 rockford subs. i couldnt hear it making the noise. thanks for the wiring diagram. nice to get one straight from the supplier.

Edited by little_yellow

Just did some quick figuring:

If you literally lop 10" off from the back (including the port going straight into the box), that will give you 6 cubes net (after sub and port displacement), and your port will be 30" long giving you a 31 hz tuning. So 1.5 cubes per sub will on the high end, but at least it's the high end of recommended. And a 31 hz tune is great for Bl's to get nasty low and still be very loud (my box is tuned to 29 and is straight up nasty).

does anyone have anything to say about this? i dont want to chop up this box get it all back together and someone mention it wont sound good because i did something wrong again.

ill keep a 3 inch gap on the port and keep the back side of the port the same length? i have some time off tomorrow so i would like to start working on it seeing as i have ran out of options with wiring.

still confused how its not moving any air out of the port tho. you would think it would move some air. even in the other box i tested it in didnt move much air. but the main thing is..... is that box design change any good? not saying there is anything wrong i just want to make damn sure before i go about working on this yet again.

is the way my box goes over the fenders messing with the port at all? just something else i was looking into

IMG00015-20110904-1549.jpg

im kinda looking for a answer from you nick!! lol.

Edited by little_yellow

You still have something messed up somewhere..some how..some way.

Especially if it has done the exact same thing in two different boxes.

For one, the one you have is big enough to bury a horse in..that's one issue.

Odds of you having 4 10's..that do the exact same thing (making a 'weird' noise) when there is nothing to make a weird noise other then a potential dustcap coming loose (which we have not had that issue since we changed a few things) is slim to none..we do not have problems with things and speakers do not do what you are seeing, unless something is wrong. I.e. 2 subs working in the box, others along for the ride. You still have ~600 watts a sub now which is not enough at all.

What about taking one sub out of the box, putting it on your tailgate or whatever and playing it free air with a 25Hz frequency track? (do not get stupid with volume knob on this you will shred parts quickly)

Every single sub we make is tested before it leaves...the odds of you having 4 that "make noise" and they all make the same noise says that there is something up with the install itself. Either you still have settings messed up, the amp is going out, you may still have something wired wrong (missed a terminal in the box from the sub and you have a few positives and negatives messed up and out of phase)..you are not going to yank them past mechanical limitations with the amount of power that you have. Especially considering it takes 400 watts free air to get an X series woofer to full excursion :)

I'm not sure what else to suggest to you honestly, there is something wrong somewhere. If I was there I could probably figure it out in a few minutes.

im sure you would. so what about the box issue? im willing to fix that right now. are the dimensions correct for the changes that miles made is the port volume going to be correct.

the amp going out is not something that crossed my mind seeing as its a month old. what else would you recommend for a amp?

If you cut 10" off the entire box starting from the back (including the port going out), the port will still be 3" from the back wall, and the adjusted port length will be a better suited tune (i think i said around 31 hz) instead of the 27 i calculated your box was at now. IF after the box has been trimmed, that at least rules 2 things out:

1. box is fine

2. subs are fine.

So that only leaves a few things that aren't fine:

1. Amp is going out with the ohm load you have on it

2. subs are still somehow wired incorrectly

3. Headunit is sending a dirty signal past a certain volume (i think this is the case if it sounds fine up to a certain volume, them starts to distort)

4. There is a mysterious gremlin somewhere in your truck screwing things up when you're not looking

THEN, if after checking all of that, the problem still persists..... Buy another 2500 and show them subs some real power.

Edited by Miles

i dont think its the deck because if i adjust the bass knob on the amp it changes the volume that they distort at. i would rather sell this amp and get a aq3500 or something along the lines of that. is there any other amps that i could be looking at?

Check out db-r's website, last I checked there was a SAZ 3000D, SAZ 3500D and a SAZ 4500D. All of those amps would be a nice upgrade to your system imo.

Do one thing at a time though, and start with that box!! Don't get excited to buy another amp just yet, who knows once it all gets working you might find that it's loud enough for you!

nick keeps saying that its not enough. i didnt think under powering them would cause a problem. but im am powering them way under half so if i get the chance i wouldnt mind getting a bigger amp anyway. im looking into changing the box but i havent really had anyone say weather the box changes will be enough. im not starting anything till i know its going to be enough.

Try it, if it doesn't work, try something else. Quit being so dependent, you can figure some things out yourself, I'm not sure why you thought that box would be the proper size in the first place? :ughdunno: Trial and error can be fun if you have a positive mindset about it.

built the box for different subs. didnt plan on going with these till i looked into them. and the reason im so dependent is because i have exhausted all my other options. what do you do when you cant think of anything else????? do you sit there with your thumb up your @$$. no you ask for advice. thats all im doing. if the whole setup sounded good before and now it sounds like crap. im wondering why. all i changed was the subs. i have used 3 different wiring diagrams now so i know its not that. i have hooked 2 up in my box so they each had around 1300 rms. not a lack of power. changed the box.

when you run out of options you look for help. that is all im doing. im not cutting up my box just to, try it. thats not something im willing to try to not accomplish anything. i would rather have my options layed out in front of me before i start something that i cant go back from.

ok so i redesigned my box. shortened it up 10" off the back. let me know if i should change anything else.

subboxdesign.jpg

chopped it down a full 10 inches. sounds much better. i have to say im very impressed with these subs. they sound great on any song. still making a noise at a certain volume. going to see if has something to do with amp or deck settings. has o be something im missing. thanks for all the help.

For what it's worth, I had an amp that I was being hardheaded about saying nothing was wrong with it, and that oh, it just wasn't set right.

I got my SMD DD-1 in, hooked it up to the amp, it was shit. Produced a distorted signal with gain turned all the way down.

Good to hear you're getting some positive results by modding the box tho :)

made me sad to cut that much off it lol but it was worth it in the end. i know im in denial lol but i dont want to admit my brand new amp is crap. im looking into a bigger amp anyway. this one is no where near enough. i dont know waht i was thinking lol. any suggestions?

Sometimes you get defective stuff. Seems to happen to me all the time. You don't know anybody nearby with an oscilloscope or SMD DD-1 to check your amp out with? I'm rather a novice at this stuff myself so I'm not good on advice but seems to be (to me) if everythings hooked up correctly, what else is there at fault? Amp or radio ...

Sorry if you've said it elsewhere, but what amp, radio do you have?

How many cubic feet is your box now?