Uncle D

Fi frankenstein???

I came across this Fi on my local Craigslist. I've made arrangements to purchase it today from the seller. However, it's not a true Fi in the sense that its been pieced together, apparently with a different motor. I was told its a dual 2 ohm and here is what's used to describe this sub:

10" FI in a new custom slot ported box the sub is a custom built sub using a blend of the FI H.BL and H.Q sub basket and cone to fit a fully custom TC sound motor

P1000766.jpg

P1000767.jpg

P1000768.jpg

Would have been nice if it were a complete Fi product, but it is what it is. Anybody recognize this creation and/or its components and does the description match the pictured sub's composition?

Also, I'm open to facts/opinions about its performance in its current state.

Thanks guys.

Google b-hive subwoofer motor. Tc sounds/audio pulse have used them as well

TC Neo motor with Fi soft parts. The motor is good and the soft parts are good, but without more info we have no idea if they actually make a good combination.

Personally I wouldn't buy it unless he were at minimum able to provide full T/S parameters for the subwoofer.

I picked it up along with the Rockford amp and hooked them up. Apparently the box is not appropriate for this sub I'm told but I'm not all savvy with this stuff just yet so to me it puts out pretty well. More than I expected.

But yes, I was told Neo motor. I don't think he'll be able to give me more info since he wasn't directly involved in the building of this sub.

I got the amp and sub in the box for $300. Better than the poozookas I just replaced this with. By like solid 10x's.

He said he had one box made based on the Q specs and it didn't sound right and so this current one is based off MTX 95/1(???)--too him still not right. Not too sure about all this terminology though.

I think I need to research making a box for this.

Edited by Uncle D

neo motor off of a lightning storm sub..and some random strewn together parts in lord only knows what fashion..

not sure what to tell you, i'd follow Q box guidelines though.

Yes, exactly the info he got from his buddy--Neo motor for lighting storm.

Here is what I was advised to shoot for in creating an enclosure:

Box specs: 2.25 -2.5cu.ft. w/45 square inches of port tuned to 42hz.

i would buy it!

42hz?... pretty high for daily.

Depends what you listen to.

Yeah seems like most the Fi cutsheets specify a tune to 32hz, so seems a little odd the recommendation, but this recommendation, I believe, is coming from the guy who had the sub built.

I was told the original box(the specs given above) had great sound, but was not in the greatest shape aesthetically so the seller I bought off of tossed the box assuming the box was based off the MTX 95/1, but it really wasn't a MTX spec'd box that the Fi originally sat in.

I picked it up along with the Rockford amp and hooked them up. Apparently the box is not appropriate for this sub I'm told but I'm not all savvy with this stuff just yet so to me it puts out pretty well. More than I expected.

But yes, I was told Neo motor. I don't think he'll be able to give me more info since he wasn't directly involved in the building of this sub.

I got the amp and sub in the box for $300. Better than the poozookas I just replaced this with. By like solid 10x's.

He said he had one box made based on the Q specs and it didn't sound right and so this current one is based off MTX 95/1(???)--too him still not right. Not too sure about all this terminology though.

I think I need to research making a box for this.

So you're not very savvy with car audio yet, but still decided to buy a frankenwoofer with thrown together soft parts on a motor and no specifications? Doesn't sound like a very rational decision to make. Without atleast having T/S specs you are not going to be able to build a proper enclosure for the subwoofer.

You're not going to be able to research making a box....there's nothing to research, it's a pile of parts thrown together to create a functioning subwoofer.

I wouldn't put that thing in a 42Hz tuned box if I were you, you're going to tear something up.

10's already suck for cone geometry as is..playing anything lower then your tuning frequency by a fair margin is going to result in you shredding stuff.

you say it is a duel 2 ohm sub.. but in those pics i don't see a second set of terminals.. can you confirm this?

also in the first pic I see 2 sets of wires going into the terminals and in the other pic I only see one set of wires going into the terminals?

you say it is a duel 2 ohm sub.. but in those pics i don't see a second set of terminals.. can you confirm this?

also in the first pic I see 2 sets of wires going into the terminals and in the other pic I only see one set of wires going into the terminals?

I can see the wires going into the second set of terminals in the second pic.

I pulled the speaker out to examine some things to see how far different the enclosure from something Q would sit in and I found couple things. First is the total port length of this enclosure is nearly 10" shorter than that of a Q. Also while this box is an inch taller and deeper than Q cut sheet, the Q is roughly 6 inches wider. So this enclosure is smaller and port is shorter than Q I haven't quite figured out the volume differences but I'm certain it's quite different.

I'm going to see if I can first look to scab in a piece to lengthen the port. If that totally sucks then I'll build a box to Q spec as long as the motor clears as it seems to be smaller in diameter but possibly longer so may sit to close to the rear running portion of the port.

Should probably pony up the dough for a woofer tester and get some T/S and then decide what to do.

I had some birch ply laying around so I built a box to the Q's cut sheet. I tried to putting it to the test last night and while I was running it at higher volume I heard a "clip" so I backed it down and ended the testing. It's apparent this Rockford amp isn't up to the task. Will fiddle more after an amp upgrade. This sub seems pretty capable though.

In regards to testing the sub for parameters, there are two shops in town, one did not have the sub tester and the other wasn't open when they were clearly supposed to be--within normal biz hours. Wanna see if they have a sub tester on hand.

Here's the enclosure uncarpeted.

IMG_0555.jpg

Beveled the edges of the port's walls.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

I had some birch ply laying around so I built a box to the Q's cut sheet. I tried to putting it to the test last night and while I was running it at higher volume I heard a "clip" so I backed it down and ended the testing. It's apparent this Rockford amp isn't up to the task. Will fiddle more after an amp upgrade. This sub seems pretty capable though.

In regards to testing the sub for parameters, there are two shops in town, one did not have the sub tester and the other wasn't open when they were clearly supposed to be--within normal biz hours. Wanna see if they have a sub tester on hand.

I think its going to be hard to find a shop with a woofer tester.

And even harder one that understands how to use it and what it does.

amen. I went into my local shop to try to pick up some 1/0, and they told me to buy 4 gauge welding wire because it handles up to 3k. Lul

amen. I went into my local shop to try to pick up some 1/0, and they told me to buy 4 gauge welding wire because it handles up to 3k. Lul

3k and 125amps!

3k...maybe if the run was only 6ft.