Uncle D

Fi frankenstein???

Be carefull. You don't hear a "clip". You hear soft parts banging into things.....

Be carefull. You don't hear a "clip". You hear soft parts banging into things.....

Are you saying that's probably what I heard instead of an actual "clip"? It made the noise on a very hard hitting, tight bass note from Nelly's "Where's the party at?" lol

You can not hear clipping..your ears are not that good.

What you heard was most likely unloading or mechanical stuff of parts running into each other..

You guys sure about that? By clip you mean distortion right? I know you cant hear the very beginning of a square wave but at some point cant we all hear distortion?

Your ears are not going to be able to hear less than 10% distortion.

^^ And that's if your lucky....

What most people think is "clipping" is parts banging into stuff. It is very hard to hear clipping, especially with music.... And clipping doesn't make pop or clank sounds....

Most rap music is so compressed that the bass lines are already clipped in the recording....

God tell me about it..i got a few new tracks last week.

:suicide-santa:

I heard no distortion, what I heard was a loud pop/clank something of that nature. Took the sub out the box today and found this:

IMG_0580.jpg

Now I'm not 100% sure that was the problem, but looks pretty promising. It never made that "pop" sound in the old box so I'm thinking the dangling posts has a lot to do with it or perhaps the new box I made is just way out of tune.

What I also noticed was the screws that I got with the sub/enclosure seemed to distort the surround after it was all cinched down. My thought was an unevenness with excursion. I've remounted it with different screws and all is well now.

Hopefully no more pop. If there is still a "pop" what could that mean because I'm not putting to crazy a power to it--badly tuned enclosure?

Lastly, the leads from the cone going to the terminal seem to be have a braided sleeve. Should that sleeve also be well soldered to terminal posts?

Somebody has dropped that thing in the box and busted the terminal off of it..

Those need to be soldered through the terminal.

You're right, that somebody was me. :trippy: So that braided sleeve there should be totally soldered along with the braided lead running in the sleeve?

You're right, that somebody was me. :trippy: So that braided sleeve there should be totally soldered along with the braided lead running in the sleeve?

Yes

I appreciate the info you guys have shared here. I resoldered the leads, mounted and "test drove".

The Q enclosure also seems to have made quite an improvement.

And for kicks, a video.