Adrian_D

Port flares for sale, 8" and 10" diameter pipe

I know some of you have been waiting for these and I can finally say they are ready smile.gif

Port flares to fit 8" and 10" Schedule 40 PVC pipe.

The flares are made out of fiberglass and fit perfectly on Schedule 40 pipe, without the need of couplers or rings thanks to an integral collar which goes over the pipe. Smooth transition from the inside of the pipe to the flare. Perfectly smooth interior.

Left 8", right 10"
IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

You can see here the collar and how far the pipe goes in the flare
IMG_1476.jpg

Shiny !
IMG_1475.jpg

European 8" version on the left, wetsanded with 600 and then shot with 2 layers of primer
IMG_1480.jpg

European 10" version (primered exterior) on the left vs US 10" version on the right, the US version of the flares is slightly bigger
IMG_1482.jpg

Pricing for the flares is as follows:

$75 for a pair of 8" flares as they come in the pics, I will refer to that condition as raw. Perfectly smooth interior, rough exterior.
$90 for a pair of 10" flares, same condition as described above

If you want the inside primered, add $5 per pair of flares. 

For Flanged versions add $5 per flare.

All prices are shipped prices.

Ordering is simple: you tell me what you want, and when they are ready to ship I will tell you my paypal to perform the payment. It has worked perfectly for 2 years on the european market *touches wood*

Keep in mind 2 things:
1. I only build these in the afternoon and right now it's getting cold, so it takes me roughly 3-4 days to have a pair ready if I'm 'out of stock'.
2. These ship from Europe, so it will take around 7-10 days to get them. And shipping is ~$25 per pair, that's why prices are what they are

*UPDATE 11/11/12*
Due to an increase in shipping costs I am forced to add $10 to the shipped price. New price is updated

Pics of them in use, first two cars pretty much killed the competition and the last is mine, which can do 151+ on the dash with only 3500w...

At one point I tested what a single 8" flare does and it gained 1.8dB. Just one, on the outside. And it's not the only case of a solid gain just by flares. They work :)

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_0368-1.jpg

DSC00185-1.jpg

You can find a testemonial here:

Seems like UpGradde reported similar gains to what I've seen.

If these are as nice as the pair in Upgraddes car you should sell lots of them. very nice work. I believe he got his from you.

If these are as nice as the pair in Upgraddes car you should sell lots of them. very nice work. I believe he got his from you. If not they look great anyway.

I've practiced a lot since I've built his, learned a lot of new things when building. Haven't seen his in person though, only in pics :)

Thank you for the compliment !

Excellent work sir. :)

Very nice! Where is the best place to get the PVC?

Thank you Aaron !

You guys should be able to get PVC pipe at local hardware stores. Lowes ? Home Depot ?

I cannot find anything bigger than 4" PVC pipe at my hardware store.. Just checked... :suicide-santa:

There has to be some place which stocks it. Plumbing / sewage section, big(er) stores etc. I asked which pipe to use and consensus was that schedule 40 is ok :)

Check out this place, they sell by the foot and carry the right stuff:

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-PIPE-SCH40-10inch

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-PIPE-SCH40-8inch

How do you advise in securing these to the box?

There has to be some place which stocks it. Plumbing / sewage section, big(er) stores etc. I asked which pipe to use and consensus was that schedule 40 is ok :)

Check out this place, they sell by the foot and carry the right stuff:

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-PIPE-SCH40-10inch

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-PIPE-SCH40-8inch

Thank you for that...

In the case of an external port which needs to be removable, I fiberglass them to an MDF ring so that the port will sit flush with the inside of the panel of the box. The ring is visible in 2 of the install pictures.

If you want them internal and flush with the outside of the panel, just cut a hole as big as the OD of the flare, set the panel on a bigger piece and put the flare in the hole. Fiberglass / epoxy / gorilla glue (?) the flare to the panel and when it's cured the port will be solid. IMO it's the simplest way to get them flush with minimal tools. And it's strong, I've never had problems with that way of mounting.

I will get a picture to explain the whole idea.

They're not flat enough to be able to screw them down? Want them internal, but able to be removed. :(

One option is like the external version but it takes a big ring to do it. Never tried to screw them on though.

I will make a jig this afternoon so that I can build them with a small flange, problem solved :D

So, if I want to permanently install it I can flush mount and seal it with like a silicon caulk or maybe great stuff and cut away the excess?

Yes, for a permanent install once it's solid in place you can seal it with silicone or foam. I'm at work now and don't have access to my pictures. But once I get back home I will update with relevant pics :)

Demand for 6" in Europe was very small, that's why I figured 6" is not a priority at this point. If there is demand I will build a mold for 6" too.

You can get other 6" aeroports through PSP or other port manufactures.

Indeed, PSP makes nice ports with good pricing.

Time for explanatory pics..

IMG_7065.jpg

Hole cut to flare outer diameter, extra panel screwed to the inside of the box so that the flare sits flush with box panel, fiberglass was then applied in 4 points, to attach the flare to the panel. I usually cut chopped fiberglass, mix it with resin and add it that way.

This is how it looks on the inside:

IMG_7341.jpg

If you want it flush with the outside and permanent, do it all mirrored.

Please excuse the look of the flares, they are my very first flares :)

Enough talk...time to get a flange going.

Looks great sir. Would you be interested if we did a combo buy for TeamSSA members who are competing?

As long as the people want a deal, SURE !

Shipping a good number of flares would also drop the price a bit.

And everything is ready for a flanged 8" flare tomorrow, if it goes well, I'll add a flange to the 10" too.