sefugi

'80 Corvette Install

I have a friend with a 1980 Corvette(fixed rear window). He has asked me give him a hand with doing an install. This vehicle will be primarily for his wife to drive, but not as an everyday driver.

His thoughts and input for the install are as follows:

1. Has a budget of around $1000.00

2. Has to have the space behind the seats for storage of the T-tops.

3. Does not want to do any cutting of the dash, doors, or have any type of pods on the floor or mounted to the doors.

4. Would prefer more of a quality sound vs bass heavy.

5. Wants anything installed to flow with the interior. Basically wants to keep the interior very close to factory appearence.

I have told him that with using the factory locations he will be somewhat limited to what we can fit, which will have an affect on the outcome.

He has picked what he liked for a HU so far.

MVH-P8200BT : http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8678-mvh-p8200bt-pioneer-3-in-dash-multimedia-receiver-with-usb-control-and-built-in-bluetooth.aspx

Without doing anything for modding the dash the factory location fits a 4x6. He had mentioned these: P6462 - JBL

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7987-p6462-jbl-4-x-6-2-way-power-series-plate-speakers.aspx

Don't feel totally happy with this as a choice, not the brand , but the possible limitations of the space to work with.

For amplification I recommended using a 4 channel amp(saving space that we don't have) that we could run the front stage off 2 of the channels and use the rear channels to power possible sub/subs off of.

Mentioned a Zed Draconia-II, but due to the price he started backstepping rather quickly.

Possibly a Sundown 100.4 depending on space...

For the rear section: I have suggested not to go back with the factory size 6X9s. Possibly some small subs or midbass drivers.

I have not seen the space that is useable for drivers, I know it will be limited.

Had mentioned building a false floor in the rear that could house a single 8" sub and flush mount the amp, but he does not want to do this. Puzzled me? :shrug:

Options thought about for the factory locations in the rear:

1. 2- E8 Sundown subs http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-E8v2.html

2. 2- Exodus EX-Anarchy Midwoofers http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=538

3. 2- JL Audio 6W3v3 http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6397-6w3v3-4-jl-audio-65-300w-4-ohm-subwoofer.aspx

Sorry if this post is somewhat long but I wanted to try and give effecient information to get some feedback on what some of you guys think or have for suggestions. This project should get started around Thanksgiving.

Open to all suggestions, ideas, thoughts. Nothing is set in stone at this point so kick out what's on your mind and if you have furthur questions I have not answered please ask. Thanks!

It kinda sounds like he doesn't really know what he wants to do with it at all. Except for the not modifying anything part, which REALLY limits the choices and possibilities.

One possible solution is to use a pair of those Tang Band 6x9 subs, as I think you mentioned. That would eliminate the use of a relatively large amount of space in that car. Also, you'll likely want to find an amp with a smaller footprint than the 100.4 as well. It's a pretty damn large amp that there apparently there isn't any real estate for. I've been at work since 3am, so any other thoughts or suggestions are a bit tough to come up with at the moment. Hell, for that matter what I've already said could be a complete 180 from what I meant, but I think a build in one of my favorite cars is pretty kewl in and of itself.

It kinda sounds like he doesn't really know what he wants to do with it at all. Except for the not modifying anything part, which REALLY limits the choices and possibilities.

One possible solution is to use a pair of those Tang Band 6x9 subs, as I think you mentioned. That would eliminate the use of a relatively large amount of space in that car. Also, you'll likely want to find an amp with a smaller footprint than the 100.4 as well. It's a pretty damn large amp that there apparently there isn't any real estate for. I've been at work since 3am, so any other thoughts or suggestions are a bit tough to come up with at the moment. Hell, for that matter what I've already said could be a complete 180 from what I meant, but I think a build in one of my favorite cars is pretty kewl in and of itself.

Yep, he does not have a direction or focus as of yet.

The Tang Band 6X9s would be an option: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-837

Thanks!!!

If I can talk him into some kind of false floor the size of the amp would be less of a problem, but I agree that the 100.4 is a little large for this install.

I am at a disadvantage at this point until I get the vehicle here (he lives in Montgomery Al, and I'm in Florida) so I can get a look at it to take some measurements on what space we have to work with.

Thanks for the input!!!

The 4x6's are the limiting factor. If he won't change the front mounting locations I wouldn't bother at all.

The 4x6's are the limiting factor. If he won't change the front mounting locations I wouldn't bother at all.

I am assuming that this is due to the capability of 4X6 drivers being able to produce enough exceptable midrange (deff. know they will not give any midbass)

And bouncing a mdrange is far from trivial. Too much of a compromise if you ask me. Personally i'd cut the door. Not like an 80 will ever be worth anything and I am sure a repro or junk yard card can't be that spendy

And bouncing a mdrange is far from trivial. Too much of a compromise if you ask me. Personally i'd cut the door. Not like an 80 will ever be worth anything and I am sure a repro or junk yard card can't be that spendy

I see the reflection in your point!

Cannot convince some of this.

Let me go charge up the battery for my Saw-Saw!! :P

If he thinks it'll be worth something get some other door cards to cut up. He'll always be able to sell the custom ones :)

Would be a good solution if he can get over the not cutting the door stigma. Thanks!

That headunit is great, Too bad he bought it new because I'll be getting rid of mine soon!

There are a lot of limitations in this build that will inhibit a proper install. I do like low budget builds though.

The stock dash locations may not be so bad. If you can convince the owner to allow small pods mounted nearly on-axis for Fountek FR89EX. I think they could cover the front stage decently.

I think the a single Sundown E8 would cover the substage effectively.

I would use a JL Audio XD500/3 amplifier. That gives you two channels for the front stage and one channel for the substage. The amplifier is very small. I have two of the XD (600/1 and 400/4) amps in my car now mounted under the driver and passenger seat. They are great amps.

You might have to cross the E8 much higher than normal. I doubt you would get much midbass out of the FR89EX's.

Small simple three speaker setup :slayer:

That headunit is great, Too bad he bought it new because I'll be getting rid of mine soon!

Thanks for the info, don't know 100% he has purchased yet. We have been communicating by e-mail.

There are a lot of limitations in this build that will inhibit a proper install. I do like low budget builds though.

The stock dash locations may not be so bad. If you can convince the owner to allow small pods mounted nearly on-axis for Fountek FR89EX. I think they could cover the front stage decently.

I think the a single Sundown E8 would cover the substage effectively.

I would use a JL Audio XD500/3 amplifier. That gives you two channels for the front stage and one channel for the substage. The amplifier is very small. I have two of the XD (600/1 and 400/4) amps in my car now mounted under the driver and passenger seat. They are great amps.

You might have to cross the E8 much higher than normal. I doubt you would get much midbass out of the FR89EX's.

Small simple three speaker setup :slayer:

Thanks for the ideas and the links.

May consider cutting the doors if he will go for it. Was originally wanting to do a single E8 in a false floor with the amp flushed with it, but he is fighting for a factory interior with an install that won't pay off.

Thanks for the info, don't know 100% he has purchased yet. We have been communicating by e-mail.

If not, my new one will be here in a few days, I'll sell you/him mine for a good price!

If not, my new one will be here in a few days, I'll sell you/him mine for a good price!

Already sent him an e-mail on this, send me a PM with info and I'll see what I can do. Would rather help a member here if I can.

If he thinks it'll be worth something get some other door cards to cut up. He'll always be able to sell the custom ones :)

Would be a good solution if he can get over the not cutting the door stigma. Thanks!

Well, after talking to him a bit about the driver location in the front he has decided to be open about doing something with the doors.

He said the doors have some large "map pockets" that stick out about 1.5" and if we can stay within that area he would be ok with it, so we'll see how that goes once we get going on it.

:woot: that'll help a TON

Now to find a somewhat shallow set of components to work in the space, am assuming I will have minimal depth to work with in the doors. Will be running passive with around 80-100 watts of power. Amp is still in question.

:woot: that'll help a TON

Now to find a somewhat shallow set of components to work in the space, am assuming I will have minimal depth to work with in the doors. Will be running passive with around 80-100 watts of power. Amp is still in question.

Have you decided how many speakers will be running and how many channels the amp will need? I'm guessing you need a 4channel or 5channel?

Infinity KAPPA FOUR (4channel)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17780_Infinity-KAPPA-FOUR.html

Infinity KAPPA FIVE (5channel)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17416_Infinity-KAPPA-FIVE.html

JL Audio XD700/5 (5channel)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_28013_JL-Audio-XD700-5.html

I've used all of those and they worked great. Not saying that's what you need to get, might be able to find a 5channel eclipse cheaper. So many options. :)

Sometimes to many options... Thanks for the links on products you have actually had experience with!

Now that he is leaning toward putting the drivers in the doors I think he will go with a component set up front and smallish sub in the rear, so a 4 channel will do the job.

Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. The owner of this vehicle has gone in a different direction. Went and purchased all his gear and I get to make it all work.

Front speakers: 4X6 going in the dash. Kenwood KFC-X463C

Rear speakers: compoenent set. HERTZ HSK 165

Single 8" sub: Kicker Comp 07C84

5 channel amp: PowerBass Xtreme XAX-5640FD

Wish me luck, the vehicle will be here anytime and I can get started. Not looking forward to this, but I promised I would help him out.

Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. The owner of this vehicle has gone in a different direction. Went and purchased all his gear and I get to make it all work.

Front speakers: 4X6 going in the dash. Kenwood KFC-X463C

Rear speakers: compoenent set. HERTZ HSK 165

Single 8" sub: Kicker Comp 07C84

5 channel amp: PowerBass Xtreme XAX-5640FD

Wish me luck, the vehicle will be here anytime and I can get started. Not looking forward to this, but I promised I would help him out.

Sad to hear. But I know you will make the best out of a bad situation. Why would he buy a component set for the back speakers? Hell I wouldn't even install rears in that car. Are you building the enclosure for the subwoofer?

Sad to hear. But I know you will make the best out of a bad situation. Why would he buy a component set for the back speakers? Hell I wouldn't even install rears in that car. Are you building the enclosure for the subwoofer?

Even before ///M5's advice I wanted him to focus on the front and put a small sub in the rear. He has been talking to some audio shop were he lives and the items you see are what they recommended. :suicide-santa:

I would have to agree about not installing speakers in the rear.

According to what he wants, I have the space in the cubby that is beside the battery to work with for the sub. Don't know how much space that will give but I know it's not gonna be much. I told him it may take fiberglassing to get as much space as we can or the sub would not preform correctly. He didn't like my guess-ta-ments on fiberglassing.

This is a c3 correct?

Your way to nice brother. Good luck with the install.

And remember ingnorance is bliss, so I am sure your friend will be happy with it.