J2phat4u

Dust Cap got hot today

Fella's, today i decided to put some volume to my FI BL 12's and noticed very quickly that the dust caps got hot. I know it has to be one of three things. Either the amp is giving too much power to the subs, The amp is clipping or the voice coils are wired incorrectly?? I never noticed this until today. Any ideas?

If it was fine before on moderate listening volumes, and now it's very very hot, then I'd guess clipping. But it is normal for the dustcaps to get pretty damn warm to the touch.

Also depends how long you were playing them to get them that hot. Everything is relative.

For a simple example, say you have a speaker with 1000watts rms, it could probably handle 2000watts fine, but maybe for only 30 seconds or a minute before it starts getting toasty. Or people do burps with massive amounts of power, but the burp is so short that the speakers handle it okay.

I have them on a Rockford Fosgate 2500-1bdcp thats sending about 3,400 to both subs. Maybe its too much power? I dont want to damage the subs since they are a few months new.

You really think they are getting 3,400Kw from your amp?

99% of the power put into your drivers is wasted as heat, that is completely normal.

I have them on a Rockford Fosgate 2500-1bdcp thats sending about 3,400 to both subs. Maybe its too much power? I dont want to damage the subs since they are a few months new.

BLs can handle a bit more then their rms, but enclosure and material being played will also have a large effect on this.

I'm guessing your birthsheet says 3400watts? So in a absolute perfect world, at most, each BL is receiving 1700watts each?

I'm not super familiar with RF bdcp amps, do they have the same power output at 4ohms that they do at 1ohm or 2ohm?

99% of the power put into your drivers is wasted as heat, that is completely normal.

3,400,000watts may be pushing it Duran. :P

:roflmao:

That's bitch power!

That's bitch power!

That's roughly 950 H/O alts, or god knows how many batteries... :ohnoes9:

No the birthsheet has it at 3,126 at 2 ohms and 3,546 watts into 1 ohm but that is measured at 14.4 volts. Not sure how they are getting though. I just never felt them really warm until today. I know they are power hungry and i got the voice coils tested today. They all read 1.5 volts so they are above the 1 ohm level i thought they were.

You mean Ohms? You have D2 coils if Re is about 1.4 ohms/coil.

No the birthsheet has it at 3,126 at 2 ohms and 3,546 watts into 1 ohm but that is measured at 14.4 volts. Not sure how they are getting though. I just never felt them really warm until today. I know they are power hungry and i got the voice coils tested today. They all read 1.5 volts so they are above the 1 ohm level i thought they were.

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

Well i purchased the dual 1 ohm subs so........something is wrong!!

They get warm when alot of power goes through the driver. It has nothing to do with gain settings, clipping or anything else.

Check the DCR when the driver is ice cold, or at least an hour or so after you play it last. This will give you a correct reading. Also, touch the leads of your DMM together, whatever you get (.1 etc) subtract that from the reading you get on the sub's voicecoil.

I also am wondering if the dual 1 ohm subs are just that or a little lower than 1 ohm? My amp is stable down to 1 ohm.

I also am wondering if the dual 1 ohm subs are just that or a little lower than 1 ohm? My amp is stable down to 1 ohm.

Depends on where the coil is from, for a D1 it varies from 0.7 to 1.0 ohms.

That's normal. My level 5 gets hot quick when I max out the gain (not full, maxed on the dd-1 which is rated at 3k). I back it down a hair and getting it warm takes 10-15 minutes of slamming. Plus my box is shit so lows heat it up quicker in my case and that is all I play.

Yeah i was playing some low end music and for the first time they got hot. I am going to put them in a different box and see how they perform.

Well the new enclosure arrived and i let them wang for a good amount of time yesterday. It was the old enclosures shabby design that made them get hot. They barely got warm yesterday and they were really dancing.

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

ive clamped 7116 watts with my 2 2500bdCP's strapped... but yeah i hear you on the birthsheet deal ive heard that there just randomly generated numbers

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

ive clamped 7116 watts with my 2 2500bdCP's strapped... but yeah i hear you on the birthsheet deal ive heard that there just randomly generated numbers

Whoever told you that is a moron, they actually bench test every amp.

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

Whoever told you that is a moron, they actually bench test every amp.

How do you know they bench every amp.