J2phat4u

Dust Cap got hot today

Bench testing would take much too long, they pull a few from every lot to test.

No the birthsheet has it at 3,126 at 2 ohms and 3,546 watts into 1 ohm but that is measured at 14.4 volts. Not sure how they are getting though. I just never felt them really warm until today. I know they are power hungry and i got the voice coils tested today. They all read 1.5 volts so they are above the 1 ohm level i thought they were.

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

ive clamped 7116 watts with my 2 2500bdCP's strapped... but yeah i hear you on the birthsheet deal ive heard that there just randomly generated numbers

Whoever told you that is a moron, they actually bench test every amp.

they do that to make you feel better about what you just bought...same deal with kicker..they don't test every one, a few out of the batch, average it..and vary it by a few watts here and there and hit :print:

they do that to make you feel better about what you just bought...same deal with kicker..they don't test every one, a few out of the batch, average it..and vary it by a few watts here and there and hit :print:

Pretty sure if you search around on caraudio.com Tracy from Kicker had even posted about that a couple times.

Could be wrong, but I think I remember him saying that.

No the birthsheet has it at 3,126 at 2 ohms and 3,546 watts into 1 ohm but that is measured at 14.4 volts. Not sure how they are getting though. I just never felt them really warm until today. I know they are power hungry and i got the voice coils tested today. They all read 1.5 volts so they are above the 1 ohm level i thought they were.

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

ive clamped 7116 watts with my 2 2500bdCP's strapped... but yeah i hear you on the birthsheet deal ive heard that there just randomly generated numbers

Whoever told you that is a moron, they actually bench test every amp.

yeah no shit u think they actually take the time and test EVERY single amp? :lol2:

Birthsheet = retarded

They are unrealistic.

Whoever told you that is a moron, they actually bench test every amp

yeah no shit u think they actually take the time and test EVERY single amp? :lol2:

Depending on their quality control it could be something like 1-1000 are tested, maybe lower if RF really watches their quality.

This has probably been said but 99% of the power that is applied to the voice coil is given off as heat.

(not sure on the exact number but subwoofers are extremely inefficient.

Well with the gain on the 2500-1 only halfway up the subs which are fully loaded are getting really warm in a few minutes of continuous slamming. Maybe i need to back down on the gains a little but i thought with the 4" voice coils and fully loaded the BL 12's would handle that power.

Your gain halfway means absolutely nothing.

Well with the gain on the 2500-1 only halfway up the subs which are fully loaded are getting really warm in a few minutes of continuous slamming. Maybe i need to back down on the gains a little but i thought with the 4" voice coils and fully loaded the BL 12's would handle that power.

you have to have your gains set and matched with the signal output of your source unit....no if and or buts about it...you cant just turn your gains up to half way or all the way like that.. im just saying

Edited by Leon Preston

i'd bet money you're clipping. I know i either am a bit or very close to it on my 3000d and i have 2v preouts on my deck which is low for most decks these days. my gain is at 1/2 right now so i would look at that first. on the forum there's a how to on setting your gains with just a DMM. its stickied in one of the forums....cant remember which one tho.

i'd bet money you're clipping. I know i either am a bit or very close to it on my 3000d and i have 2v preouts on my deck which is low for most decks these days. my gain is at 1/2 right now so i would look at that first. on the forum there's a how to on setting your gains with just a DMM. its stickied in one of the forums....cant remember which one tho.

Or you can just use your ears. :ohnoes9:

im curious how audible clipping really is, and how you can check?

im curious how audible clipping really is, and how you can check?

Generally you will always have distortion to some degree, normally if it's inaudible then it's likely not hurting anything, technically it all comes down power...

You can download some sine waves off the internet, load them into audio program, clip them, and play the files back to back.

If your dustcap gets hot pretty quickly and you start smelling coil, these are good indicators that your gain needs to be backed off.

I normally just play a mix of my daily tunes and set the gain to where it doesn't get any louder, starts to sound distorted, back it off, play some more music, and go from there.

It's not like all music is recorded at the same level, that's what the volume knob and headroom comes in handy. :)

I'm talking about daily setups, not competing, that's completely different.

Well maybe it was the break in time because they don't get warm anymore. I still have the factory deck in my SUV but have a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 connected to run all the external components.

Well I will be running a set of dual 2's now so my amp will be seeing a 2ohm load. Its still over 3,000 watts to both subs. It sounds so good though.

Spend $150 on a SMD DD-1 and never question your amp gain ever again

Ive set like 30 amps with mine, every system shows a gain in loudness and clarity, even if the gains were higher initially

I can play my N2s on 4k all day (3600 clamped) and they barely get warm, but they do, especially on loooong continuous basslines for like 30 minutes straight. Got a good alt, so my amps get plenty of voltage, and my subs see no distortion. Before when I just ran a single N215 I remember playing with my gains on a daily basis trying to tweak things. Now I can set it and forget it

^ In my opinion, no...

You mean Ohms? You have D2 coils if Re is about 1.4 ohms/coil.

D2 coils read 1.7-1.8 ohms

Not if it's a coil from Fi.

thats what all my D2 BTL N2s read.... 1.7 each coil

Sub gettin warm is fine. I too set my gains by ear, i don't think it is too dificult to listen for signs of stress.

^ In my opinion, no...

I would second that opinion.

thats what all my D2 BTL N2s read.... 1.7 each coil

Mine also read 1.6 but my DMM leads read .2 ohms DCR which leaves 1.4 net