sundownz

SA-8 v.2 Prototype Completed

Jacob,

Three Quick questions: What box size do you recommend for sealed/ported for these?

How much power can they handle on a daily basis? No SPL Deathmatches, just lots of loud clean bass on a daily basis :).

How efficient are they with 1W? Closer to the SA 8 (80 db) or the SD 10 (86 db)?

Thank You,

JPS

I don't expect T/S to vary dramatically from the current SA-8 -- the way we have them set up now works much better for bottom-end than a higher sensitivity design (I've tried it). The 1w/1m is sensitivity which does not = efficiency per-se on a subwoofer.

We rate them 400 RMS.

Ported @ 0.6 cubes

Sealed @ 0.3 cubes

Pricing is coming out a bit higher than expected due to the amount of aluminum in the frame, the large internal aluminum shorting ring, extra steel in the motor, added labor to assemble, and the doubled leads -- but I didn't want to make any compromises so it is what it is!

I wanted to keep it around ~150 MAP but it looks like it will be $185 MAP (same as an SA-10) -- of course we have to keep in mind there is really nothing else like this on the market to compare to price-wise. I have NOT added a penny to the price to cover what I paid in tooling -- I am pricing ONLY on cost to produce per unit so this is the best price I could possibly offer on this driver. I think when we see one of these standing next to an SA-8 v.1 it will pretty much explain itself visually.

So -- that being said I will likely produce an SD-2 8" to fill in the large price gap from the E8v.2 ($89) to this guy ($185)... so I'll start development on the SD-2 model soon to come in around the pricing level of the SA-8 v.1 as we know it today so we'll have a full spectrum depending on budget.

I have the pre-breakin specs as well -- they need a nice break-in period to get the more settled in specs. The Fs and Qts will drop as usual. Take note especially of how low the Le is now... this will extend the top-end response and reduce inductive distortion significantly from prior models.

D2 Specs:

SA-8%20v.2%20%28Rev.%202%29%20dual%202%20ohm.JPG

D4 Specs:

SA-8%20v.2%20%28Rev.%202%29%20dual%204%20ohm.JPG

These will go through rigorous testing before approval for production. I am hoping we got it right the first time -- but if I am not 100% satisfied I will make more tweaks before doing full production. Stay tuned !

great product, great price!

well that costs little more, definitely worth its price!

;)

I'm sorry Jacob, but these graphs, you can not do it for the "NeoPro"?

is waiting for months that the data ...

Well -- the box with some of the re-cone parts arrived but the subs got separated. SO here are some photos @ the shop of some of the parts :thumbsup:

CIMG5454.JPG

* Progression of the baskets... to the left the original 12-spoke, then the 8-leg, and now the fully tooled Sundown frame!

CIMG5455.JPG

CIMG5456.JPG

* Wider new spider on the left and older spider on the right (we have round lead spiders in stock for re-cones)

CIMG5457.JPG

* 10mm wider with an entire extra roll on the outside.

CIMG5458.JPG

* Doubled up / large round lead wires.

CIMG5459.JPG

* First step -- bottom spider with no leads.

CIMG5460.JPG

* Second step -- spacer ring in place and center glue joint support ring (there is another behind the rear spider as well)

CIMG5461.JPG

* Then the top spider on top of the spacer ring -- there will be a steel bolt-on ring on top of all of this in production.

CIMG5463.JPG

* Logo in the basket base inside, under the spiders

CIMG5464.JPG

* Visible external logo

CIMG5465.JPG

* New gasket vs. old gasket -- hard to tell but the new one is slightly bigger so we had to tool it anyway so we put the logo in it too.

CIMG5466.JPG

So when is the oversized 6.5" version of this mini-beast gonna come out? :P

I am super excited... just unboxed the first one and took pictures as fast as I could... will have a free-air video up soon... more testing ASAP :

Group_1.jpg

* Newest @ left to the oldest @ right.

Group_2.jpg

Group_3.jpg

Group_4.jpg

Back_Side.jpg

Leads.jpg

Amazing! The bar you have set for 8" sub woofers has been risen to new heights!

:drink40:

Is there still going to be a X?

As if this perform as it looks, it should be good enough. Lol.

Also, did you ever say a estimated price? If not, got any round abouts? Like say, no more than $350.(As an example.)

Amazing! The bar you have set for 8" sub woofers has been risen to new heights!

^^^^ What 98GMC said!!!!

Is there still going to be a X?

As if this perform as it looks, it should be good enough. Lol.

Also, did you ever say a estimated price? If not, got any round abouts? Like say, no more than $350.(As an example.)

This is the SA-8 v.2 -- the X-8 is an even more dramatic design.

$185 is the estimated MAP price... not bad, IMO!

Edited by sundownz

For reference it was CRANKED -- I'm not sure what it would take to get that kind of throw in a box but it would be ALOT of power. At levels that the original SA-8 would be making bad mechanical noise this one is dead silent -- I was excited so I pushed it as far as I could right away in the video *laughs*

:lol2: Were does the line start to touch the hiney?

holly s^&% that thing moves and no noise. cant wait for the pre order killer job it's beautiful :fing34: