Sign in to follow this  
BrianSmith

Frozone's Plan

So here are the plans for my second audio upgrade I have a 2010 xb that i've self taught everything from engine work to visual

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djfrozone/

Pics relevant.

Here is my current setup

Pioneer AVH p4100dvd

RF Prime R300-4

Visionik 350 mono

Infintiy 6022i

103t tweeters

RF p1-110 sub wiht factory box.

Ebay wiring amp kits i found and yea.

I'm looking to do it right this time. The RF i have is a nice sub. clean sound, but nothing to write home about. it wont make u go "well shiiiiiit"

I heard about the SA-8 from a friend on Scionlife. saw a video of it in a lil CRX and decided that is more than enough for me. not triying to win shows. but at times i just want to hear bra snapping bass.

What im looking to do is build a box for my trunk so it will look nice at a show (not sound comp) an amp to handle it. If i can im putting an infinty 475 amp and orion hcca components in and moving the 6022is to the back. ( i think if i did my calcs right that should be enough power.

With that said. Im debating on a one sub or two sub system with the SA-s. I need the box to be portable since im a dj i move stuff in and around my car alot. or creating a false floor so that i never have to remove them. i can just use a cover.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23874_MB-Quart-ONX1.1000D.html thats the amp im thinking about

side question. does wiring really make that big of dif? In the dj world. an xlr cable is an xlr cable no real difference. is it the same with amp wiring kits? or speaker wire?

i worried that at your experience level that a single 8 maybe not fit your bill. see just because its a great sub does not mean it will sound good thrown in the back of your car.

somthing tells me that the CRX you seen is a pro. and thats why he yielded those results

BUT with that said... if your willling to put in what it takes to yeild those results then ok. EI, money time and skill.

shitty box + awsome sub = shit,.

awsome box = shitty sub= goodness. 90% of the time.

^^^ i was thinking along the same lines. a dual sa-8 setup would be good. or how is the sa-10? cause 1 ten might more cost effective than two 8s and possible yeild better results? I def want to build it right. or have it built right. as far as music i range from bonobo , skrillex, bad bad not good, to Big L

that was the video.

2 8's would be louder then 1 10 if done correctly ,.

but i think a single 10 would fit the bill better for you .

im not addressing EVERYthing in each of your topics because others have input aswell......

i keep adding to your post to keep it alive,. in hopes other will join in.

The video that you shared is for SPL (loud) only, would not yeild good sound that you will be wanting. I have a pair of the SA8s in a box tuned to 33Hz that gives great sound and will get very loud(for 8's) on a 1000 watt amp. I would recommend going with a pair, or move up in size if you are wanting a single sub.

Thanks for sharing your pics and Good Luck with your build!

I dont really have that much space. i will try to get measuerments later. but say your average box you can get at best buy. What im trying to build if i make a box will be something like that. if i go with the false floor it will be like

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208807

im also thinking cost wise. i expect whatever i do to last. i can roughly get two 8s for 190. or one ten for 135ish. i just wish i could hear em in person

i would not suggest a false floor for output,.

im gonna go way out on a limb and say a single 10 sealed would not only give you the small encloser you need and a good sound for the type of music you listen too. IMO.

i installed a single SA 12 in a sealed box on a jl 500/1 in the trunk of a ROADMASTER! and it was very nice.

First thing to do is to get measurements and determine how large of an enclosure you will be able to fit in your car.

Based on the information given an 8" isn't for you. It seems as though output is your goal and I don't think a single 8" would meet your expectations. Once you figure out how much space you have to work with people will be able to give you some recommendations.

To answer your question abut the wire, yes, it's the same idea Any good cca wiring will work assuming that it's the correct gauge. Welding cable works just fine for power wire.

All I will say is: Don't watch that video and think because they metered a 149db that you can get similar results, especially on music.

ok thanks guys i will come back with the measuremtns of the trunk and what not. What would be amazing is two tens but then that might be overkill. I think a single ten. plus a new box for the rockford 10 would look pretty good. though im not sure if i could due to them being different wattsage

I didn't see that you already have a sub. What are the specs on the factory box? If it's a poor quality pre fab I suggest you build an optimal ported enclosure for it if your available space allows. You might be surprised by the improvement depending on the quality of what you currently have. Remember, install > equipment :)

I don't see a listed tuning or volume. Hard to say if it's optimal for your goals or not. Maybe someone else here is more familiar with RF's prefabs. What exactly don't you like about it? Knowing what it is you are looking to improve will help.

i hopped in my buddys alero and he has two 12's dont know what. granted they were VERY loud and shook the whole car. They didn't sound that clear. I like the RF because while it dont get to heavy/loud without it rattling. its clean. it has a very clean bass. the ones u can feel not here. which i love about it. my whole setup is very clean. its not loud and you wont hear it out in the parking lot but it is there. so i want to keep that theme of clean but powerful going. i like the RF its done very well but i just want a deeper sound. when i pump my system up and just jamming hardcore on the highway i want to reaallly feel it. (hence why i may be getting those orions from a friend for componets) idk what tuning to do. its got a freq thing on the amp. i turned it 3/4 of the way and haven't really touched it since

i hopped in my buddys alero and he has two 12's dont know what. granted they were VERY loud and shook the whole car. They didn't sound that clear. I like the RF because while it dont get to heavy/loud without it rattling. its clean. it has a very clean bass. the ones u can feel not here. which i love about it. my whole setup is very clean. its not loud and you wont hear it out in the parking lot but it is there. so i want to keep that theme of clean but powerful going. i like the RF its done very well but i just want a deeper sound. when i pump my system up and just jamming hardcore on the highway i want to reaallly feel it. (hence why i may be getting those orions from a friend for componets) idk what tuning to do. its got a freq thing on the amp. i turned it 3/4 of the way and haven't really touched it since

Don't rule out a model of drivers because you heard them in one setup and they didn't sound good. Installation and amplifier settings can make any driver sound terrible. :)

^^ interesting. so maybe what i will do first is build a box for my current sub and see how that sounds. Either way if its not enough i could most likely use the same box for an sa-10. (wildly speculating)

Without being familiar with the RF pre fabs it's hard to say if a new enclosure would offer any benefit or not. If it's a good box and you still desire more output increasing cone area will be the most efficient way to meet your goals. You need to decide what compromises you are willing to make.

btw thanks so much for being so helpful right off the bat. Very helpful guys thank you very much. Excited to really start putting stuff together.

Sign in to follow this