steveo50

amp cut off but no volt drop?

soo i started my truck up at the bar,dude wanted to hear the system, cranked it up played a new cd i got. so my amp went into protect. i assume i clip at 26 vol on my head unit it goes to 30. i played it at 26. played the amp at what i would play it to do a demo with out distortion (by ear)and it went into protect! never had this problem AND i just put a xs 3400 under the hood it was at 14.5ish volts no drop....sooo like any ideas why this happened anything i should check or what not?

check all connections. and i mean ALL connections. amp to battery in the rear and the front. check your ground at all points.

and don't forget to double check the fuses and the sub! I hope you own a DMM (digital multi-meter)

yea i have a ddm the sub is deff at 2 ohm. ill have to check the fuses and the grounds. i assumed this is the problem that one of the grounds may have come loose or i did not tighten one down well enough. i was embarrassed every one was talking up my system for just being one 12 then it shut off.

yea i have a ddm the sub is deff at 2 ohm. ill have to check the fuses and the grounds. i assumed this is the problem that one of the grounds may have come loose or i did not tighten one down well enough. i was embarrassed every one was talking up my system for just being one 12 then it shut off.

Maybe a loose connection on the sub or a speaker wire grounding out some where. Like stated before check everywire!!! Let us know what happens.

ok i didn't think about a loose speaker wire ill look at that as well. what do you mean by speaker wire grounding out can you give me an example of this?

i checked all fuses all good just have to deconstruct my car and check the grounds now....yay!!!

Not enough amperage?

You would get a voltage drop then.

Hasn't been asked yet but does the amp ALWAYS go into protect every time it's turned on?

If so, disconnect the speaker wires and and turn it on, if still in protect I'd say something happened to the amp or maybe a loose speaker wire shorted causing damage to the amp.

did it come out of protect mode? When you restarted the car?

yes it did come out of protect mode after restarting the car.sorry for not stating that.