twocamvw

deathrows in a sealed enclosure?

i have a pair of deathrow 12's that i thaught i would have room for. but it looks like i dont have as much space as i planned for. so i was wondering if any one has used these subs in a sealed enclosure (i know its not recommended) and how did it work out. or should i just use one in a ported box and forget about using the two?? thanks in advance

Is it just me or do you find it funny that their advertised as a SQL driver, yet aren't recommended for a sealed enclosure.

No T/S specs so you couldn't model them either.

Sounds like you should just use one ported, :ughdunno:

A dilemma, oh fun.

The T/S spec were posted in the IA black and blue sale.

I had a DR 18" and they are a very musical and get very loud in a properly aligned ported enclosre.

Run 1 ported and you will be impressed by the sq and the output.

My brother and I installed a DR 12 in his truck in a sealed box. It is in about 1.3 cu. ft center console box and it sounds just fine to me. I liked how it sounded just as much if not more then when I had it ported in my car. I would not hesitate to run them sealed if you do not have the proper space for a ported box.

I had mine in a bandpass kinda a sealed box it works amazingly so I'm sure you can do it

decided to just use one. 2.2 cubes @32hz with 37.5sq" of port

Probably the best idea. I don't know the T/S parameters, but if IA doesn't recommend sealed enclosures then they are probably not going to perform optimally in sealed enclosures.....which means 1 ported would probably exceed the performance of a pair sealed.

I wish I would have known people were running Death Rows in sealed enclosures with good outcomes earlier. I would have bought a couple Death Rows instead.

I wish I would have known people were running Death Rows in sealed enclosures with good outcomes earlier. I would have bought a couple Death Rows instead.

"good outcomes" is subjective, the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, so why ignore them?

Yea its all personal taste on the out come may sound good to me you may think it sounds like some one ttaking a $hit

T/S Specs for the DR-12

FS - 37 Hz

RE - 4 ohm Series

QMS - 5.78

QES - .49

QTS - .44

MMS - 205.86g

SD - 480 cm^2

Vas - 29 L

SPL - 86.9

BL - 16.4

Xmax - 24 mm

It can be run sealed, but they come alive in a properly aligned ported enclosure. I would recommend running them in the recommended ported enclosure specs.

admittedly not having ever heard these in either applicator I would still like to add my 2cents

Personally I feel a single sub setup is the way to go unless you are going for at least 3, 4 ++ subs. Not sure about you guys but the little extra gained from the added sub is not worth it for me in the space lost not to mention the ease of deployment and trouble shooting.

So what I did is took out the two 12's and now I will add a 18 which pretty much makes my post useless. :woot:

T/S Specs for the DR-12

FS - 37 Hz

RE - 4 ohm Series

QMS - 5.78

QES - .49

QTS - .44

MMS - 205.86g

SD - 480 cm^2

Vas - 29 L

SPL - 86.9

BL - 16.4

Xmax - 24 mm

It can be run sealed, but they come alive in a properly aligned ported enclosure. I would recommend running them in the recommended ported enclosure specs.

With those T/S if my options were 2 sealed or 1 ported, one ported would be my suggestion. EBP around 76 and an Fs of 37hz.....they lean more towards ported enclosures, could be ran sealed but low end would suffer.

admittedly not having ever heard these in either applicator I would still like to add my 2cents

Personally I feel a single sub setup is the way to go unless you are going for at least 3, 4 ++ subs. Not sure about you guys but the little extra gained from the added sub is not worth it for me in the space lost not to mention the ease of deployment and trouble shooting.

So what I did is took out the two 12's and now I will add a 18 which pretty much makes my post useless. :woot:

Doubling displacement (2x the subs and 2x the power) increases output 6db, which in the subbass is going to sound pretty close to twice as loud. Not sure I'd call 2 subs compared to 1 a "little extra" gain, that would be pretty significant. Ofcourse it assumes a doubling of power to the subs as well.

T/S Specs for the DR-12

FS - 37 Hz

RE - 4 ohm Series

QMS - 5.78

QES - .49

QTS - .44

MMS - 205.86g

SD - 480 cm^2

Vas - 29 L

SPL - 86.9

BL - 16.4

Xmax - 24 mm

With those T/S if my options were 2 sealed or 1 ported, one ported would be my suggestion. EBP around 76 and an Fs of 37hz.....they lean more towards ported enclosures, could be ran sealed but low end would suffer.

Doubling displacement (2x the subs and 2x the power) increases output 6db, which in the subbass is going to sound pretty close to twice as loud. Not sure I'd call 2 subs compared to 1 a "little extra" gain, that would be pretty significant. Ofcourse it assumes a doubling of power to the subs as well.

I get ya, same amp just twice the subs. so optimistically 3db and out of a trunk may just be less. I could tell it was louder and had more presence, but its just not justified in most cases...(for me any way).

built the box for one 12, ported. it sounded good to me was fairly loud. powering it with a kicker zx1000. but i think im going to give up more space then i had originally planed along with my losing my spare tire and fitting both 12s with aero ports. and i have a 2nd zx1000 for when i do this.