Sign in to follow this  
haydenlake

Nuprene for sound dampning

I just bought 4 sheets of 40x55 at 1/8" thick(or something like that) of nuprene off of ebay for 40bucks. Supposedly its used in boeing airplanes and such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP..._Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Does anyone know anything about it? it's got to be worth over a buck a square foot so I'm not really worried about getting ripped off.

Once I get it I'll let you guys know what I think, should work well in a car. but I doubt that dynamat used that statement the guy had in his ad.

thanks,

b

Edited by haydenlake

I used 1/8" black Neoprene to cover the acrylic baffles in my doors...shown here.

door3kw.jpg

It very well may do the same job that Dynamat does (the stuff's heavy as hell), but the lack of adhesive could be an issue. Personally, with RAAMmat being as cheap as it is, no reason to try to half-ass it with a compromise.

The spray glue will cost you about $10 a can.

While its thick, i still prefer a deadner with adhesive on it already.

Deadening is a PITA anyway, even with the adhesive backing :)

Using Super 77 makes it even more tedious..and is much, much harder to get off your doors if you fudge up, vs. butyl rubber that can generally be pryed off with a heat gun and some persuasion.

As for the Boeing reference, I really, really doubt it. Maybe years ago, but it is way too heavy for them to use today. They use a constrained layer foam damping system throughout most of the plane, but the next time I am there I will ask again. You could always make a wetsuit out of it...

It might make a good layer instead of Ensolite or foam as it is extremely water resilient. It also has good mass so it would make a pretty good barrier, perhaps especially on the floor as the wet won't hurt it there either but for ease of use an adhesive mat wins.

I didn't spell the word wrong in re-typing the advertisement. Of course I know what neoprene is since I've been wakeboarding for 10 years.

Maybe the guy in the add spelled it wrong and I just bought a bunch of neoprene, but I searched google and nuprene comes up under a few difference medical supply places and looks pretty spendy.

I guess we'll find out when I get it.

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that I wouldn't be using a deadener, I'm just trying to find something to put on top of about two or three layers of (second skin, Ram mat, fat mat, dynamat, etc.)

I'm trying to find the best way to dampen a car for under $500

later,

b

As for the Boeing reference, I really, really doubt it.  Maybe years ago, but it is way too heavy for them to use today.  They use a constrained layer foam damping system throughout most of the plane, but the next time I am there I will ask again.  You could always make a wetsuit out of it...

It might make a good layer instead of Ensolite or foam as it is extremely water resilient.  It also has good mass so it would make a pretty good barrier, perhaps especially on the floor as the wet won't hurt it there either but for ease of use an adhesive mat wins.

I didn't spell the word wrong in re-typing the advertisement. Of course I know what neoprene is since I've been wakeboarding for 10 years.

Maybe the guy in the add spelled it wrong and I just bought a bunch of neoprene, but I searched google and nuprene comes up under a few difference medical supply places and looks pretty spendy.

I guess we'll find out when I get it.

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that I wouldn't be using a deadener, I'm just trying to find something to put on top of about two or three layers of (second skin, Ram mat, fat mat, dynamat, etc.)

I'm trying to find the best way to dampen a car for under $500

later,

b

As for the Boeing reference, I really, really doubt it.  Maybe years ago, but it is way too heavy for them to use today.  They use a constrained layer foam damping system throughout most of the plane, but the next time I am there I will ask again.  You could always make a wetsuit out of it...

It might make a good layer instead of Ensolite or foam as it is extremely water resilient.  It also has good mass so it would make a pretty good barrier, perhaps especially on the floor as the wet won't hurt it there either but for ease of use an adhesive mat wins.

In his ad he spelled it Nuprene and Neoprene, therefore I assumed Neoprene was right. When you google Nuprene, it really only references the ad you bought from which of course confuses me further. Not sure, but do let us know what it is like.

Id say the best way to dampen a car for under $500 is concrete.

But i dont think that would work so well in the doors, they could get a bit heavy

Id say the best way to dampen a car for under $500 is concrete.

But i dont think that would work so well in the doors, they could get a bit heavy

I'm not using concrete!

I emailed the guy and he said that nuprene stands for "new neoprene" which is differnet because neoprene is completely closed cell and nuprene is partially open and partially closed cell (and it was created specifically for sound dampning).

So I guess that's it, I'll try it and yet you guys know. But i haven't bought my next car yet. I'm still trying to decide on.

Subaru sedan or B9

Toyota, tacoma or tundra, or landcruser etc.

anything else that isn't bad on gas and I don't have to spend more than 20k to get a decent used one.

Partially open cell = retains moisture

I wouldn't use it, but that's just me.

As for the vehicle, I'd go for the Land Cruiser :)

If you get a B9 i'll e-slap you very hard.

That thing is pigishly ugly.

And that is comming from a guy with a caddy with laced wheels!

As to the part about the dampner being partialy open cell I'm not sure if I'm worried about that because Second Skin has partially open cell as well on some of their stuff too.

I'm at the office now but DHL says it just got delivered.

I dont have that car, its just in my sig.

Dont hate on the wires..:madsign:

As for the open cell thing, when was the last time you sprayed the interior of your car down with water. I highly doubt that will be a prlblem

in some cars water runs throuhg the doors :)

Some neoprene is damn heavy while others is quite lite. My we suit weighs aboud 1/2 as much as my vest but uses more neoprene.