holley2346

Better alternative to a cold air intake

Like this much better than the K&N CAI, everyone needs one. Especially with the added weight of audio equipment. I'll have to shoot some better looking final photos sometime.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Edited by holley2346

looks great... wouldn't you need a better intake to feed that beast anyway??? :peepwall:

looks great... wouldn't you need a better intake to feed that beast anyway??? :peepwall:

If you are referring to having the filter mounted directly to the turbo, it hasn't proven to be an issue. My air intake temps are a few degrees above ambient. The inter cooler was quite large. Thanks for the compliments.

Don't turbos get very hot? I'd be wary of adding so much more heat when you already have added multiple alts.

Don't turbos get very hot? I'd be wary of adding so much more heat when you already have added multiple alts.

Underhood temps aren't too bad, I have no data to prove this other than my interpretation but the only time serious heat builds up is when you are WOT making passes or playing around in boost. I tend to play every now and then but 95 percent of my driving stays under 2#'s. Also note that when you get out of boost your egts cool down very quickly. They've been using kits like this for almost 10 years now, heat being a non issue.

i hope u installed a LOT more with that turbo than what u r showing us....

Although u did say u have an intercooler and never showed us that, hehe.

piggyback at least?, wideband O2?, A/F Gauge?, upgraded injectors?, using the right octane fuel?, wastegate?, BOV?,

How much HP increase? safe on tranny? internal engine?

i hope u installed a LOT more with that turbo than what u r showing us....

Although u did say u have an intercooler and never showed us that, hehe.

piggyback at least?, wideband O2?, A/F Gauge?, upgraded injectors?, using the right octane fuel?, wastegate?, BOV?,

How much HP increase? safe on tranny? internal engine?

Forgot to take a picture of my pillar. It's a little dark now, anyway triple gauges in the a pillar... wideband, fp, boost. Injectors are 60# at 2bar and I think 76# at 3bar. Pump gas 93. Blow off valve and wastegate..... not sure how I'd run without a gate, I think I'd be around 25 psi for about 1 second before the heads lifted.

Boost increase in these motors is 20-25 hp per pound of boost, I'm currently running 6 pounds to prolong the life of my stock 4l60e. I am trying my hardest to find a 4l80 to swap in, add some mathanol injection / head studs and crank it up to about 10-12 pounds. Stock bottom ends on these engines have been holding up very well.

The fourth image down is showing the intercooler mounted in the grill....

I'm sure theres more I didn't think of, just let me know. Rest assured I installed everything the right way, no corners cut.

Edited by holley2346

OK! just makin sure for both you and others who know nothing about turbos....

Didn't want somebody seein your pics and go, Hey, i'm gonna go get a Turbo and some downpipes, etc.. and an intercooler and that's it, lol....

OK! just makin sure for both you and others who know nothing about turbos....

Didn't want somebody seein your pics and go, Hey, i'm gonna go get a Turbo and some downpipes, etc.. and an intercooler and that's it, lol....

Yeah I completely understand. I guess I didn't do much of a job at doing a write up, just showing off a little spoolin from the tahoe :).

If anyone is thinking about doing this and has any questions, feel free to ask on here or pm's.

Note that the kit is only the start. You also need to purchase the proper injectors / fuel pump, a wideband gauge at a minimum, a good tuner, and hook up exhaust to the downpipe.

Thanks

Edited by holley2346

Wideband gauge is useless without a wideband 02 sensor. Not too many people know this and very few vehicles have wide band O2s.

With that being said, very nice! I love turbos! What are the turbo specs? Who did the tuning and what software did you use? Just so you know, you must take a a video of a cloud of tire smoke. It's the ONLY way to prove it works.

BTW, post some pics of that "little red" car next to the hog.

Wideband gauge is useless without a wideband 02 sensor. Not too many people know this and very few vehicles have wide band O2s.

With that being said, very nice! I love turbos! What are the turbo specs? Who did the tuning and what software did you use? Just so you know, you must take a a video of a cloud of tire smoke. It's the ONLY way to prove it works.

I thought most wideband gauges came with the sensor, my mistake.

The turbo is a 70mm, I don't remember the size of the housings off the top of my head. Tuning was done by Vengeance Racing in Atlanta, Ga. And I'm sorry but as long as the 4l60e is in the truck with all that weight in the back there shall be no glorious white smoke haha.

Thanks for the compliments!

Edited by holley2346

BTW, post some pics of that "little red" car next to the hog.

Phone isn't wanting to agree with me at the moment.

The turbo is a 70mm, I don't remember the size of the housings off the top of my head. Tuning was done by Vengeance Racing in Atlanta, Ga. And I'm sorry but as long as the 4l60e is in the truck with all that weight in the back there shall be no glorious white smoke haha.

If your gauge came with the proper sensor, that's awesome. Most are just the gauge. What brand is it?

Have your tuner increase line pressure in the trans and it should hold it fine. We did that on my buddy's Camaro and it held 500 at the rear wheels for 3 years and it got beat daily. Of course you may only be able to do that with at the valve body, but IIRC, it's adjustable electronically.

If your gauge came with the proper sensor, that's awesome. Most are just the gauge. What brand is it?

Have your tuner increase line pressure in the trans and it should hold it fine. We did that on my buddy's Camaro and it held 500 at the rear wheels for 3 years and it got beat daily. Of course you may only be able to do that with at the valve body, but IIRC, it's adjustable electronically.

Don't laugh but it's a glowshift. For the price I had to try it, and it actually is DEAD ON compared to what EFI Live's logging showed. I just left a lot of torque management in the tune to save the trans, line pressures are elevated but not high. We set them a little high at first, and the ride was way less than satisfactory with jumpy shifts and belt slippage on the triple alts.

We pretty much got it dialed in and am proud of the time slip with a 4.8 and all the audio inside the truck... at least a thousand pounds worth.

Don't know if I posted it, will post again just to verify.

photo%2525283%252529.JPG

I'm content... for now.

Some pics of the truck since I didn't include them;

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Edited by holley2346

That's pretty good considering the small engine and I'm guessing you're somewhere in the area of 6K lbs?

That's pretty good considering the small engine and I'm guessing you're somewhere in the area of 6K lbs?

I'm not sure.

Stock curb weight is 5,636 pounds

Yellow Tops 43.5x4

Box I'd say Roughly 500 pounds including 1 inch threaded rod and 1/4" steel plate

Crescendo 3500's 30?x4

Fi BTL's 50?x4

Sundown 100.4 18 pounds

Sundown 100.2 15? pounds

Total: 6663 pounds? without gas, me, 24's, and a turbo kit.

Edited by holley2346

Not bad at all, looks great, runs good and loud as fawk = winning!

haha nice i got cummins diesel turbo on my civic... very fastttt on 20psi