Sign in to follow this  
liljestrand

9800bt vs 800/880prs

So while doing research on the 800/880's I came across the 9800bt.

Now from what I can tell they are pretty close in head units with the main differences being.

9800 - color display, bt

800/880 - active capable, left and right equalization, im sure some more tuning options im forgetting.

Are there any more major differences in these 3 units?

I do know they both have burr brown 24 bit converters and 5 volt outs and lots of tuning options.

Now at the moment I'm not going to be running active. Eventually I want to learn how to properly go active and all the tuning that goes into making a good sounding system.

Any opinions?

Are there any more major differences in these 3 units?

The 9800 is a nice piece, I have not owned it. But I loved my 880, and will not sell it. ;)

haha...may have another lead on an 800 so crossing my fingers.

The color display seems nice and I don't really care about the bt, people can wait for me to call them back.

I am digging the "mono" tone of the 800's though.

I sold my 88 prs II (european model of the 800/880, the black one) and just bought a deh 9300 SD.

Less fancy tuning options, the only one I miss is the choice of the slope in the filters. But it sounds as good for me !

And now I can use usb, sd card AND my iphone without adding anything to the head unit.

That's what I wanted.

I sold the 88 for more money than I bought the 9300(with overseas shipping and taxes !) :).

The new Pioneer h u are less expensive now, than the old ones. But no remote, a cd instead of a big book for the "notice", more plastic materials.

good luck for your purchase.

Copper chassis on the 800. Duh. Lol.

I've never heard a radio with such a warm sound to it as my 800. Every component of the 880/800 is top of the line. Much less of a chance for noise induction because it doesn't have a lot of fancy features.

The EQ and Crossover abilities set the PRS ahead of the other a massive distance.

8 v I don't think so :peepwall:

I edited it. Idk I thought 8v. Soon. As I read I'm like wtf no it doesnt. Lol

My 8053 is 8v. ;)

Just checked the subwoofer output voltage. Like a few minutes ago. Here's what I got.

20111110_105357.jpg

damn work has photobucket blocked now...What did it read Drew?

Bass what would you say is a decent price to pay for an 800. I've found a couple. I know they are pretty rare and wont be cheap.

Edited by liljestrand

good luck jes... lol

I own both the 880 and 980. The 880 is capable of running active while the 980 isn't. They both require the adapter for ipod play, have Auto TA/EQ.

Now the differences are that the 880 is an active capable headunit, has the ability to change button color from white to blue, can be just like the 980 in audio capabilities if the use of 3 way is not selected and only using the 2 way feature. If you are looking for the best in SQ between the two with possibly upgrading to active then I would not look at the 980 anymore.

The 980 is bluetooth capable but I still would not use it for that nor would I buy it strictly for that reason as you will be very disappointed. The graphics are color on the 980 and from what I have been told is that you can get images uploaded to be on here (don't quote me on this though). I will say that the looks of the headunit are very attractive but the 880 and 800 are also very nice looking.

I will say they both have nearly identical SQ in regards to using a passive setup. The reason I switched from the 980 was because I was switching from passive to active so I put in for the 880 (should have bought the 880 instead of the 980 at the time but I was young and dumb).

Bass what would you say is a decent price to pay for an 800. I've found a couple. I know they are pretty rare and wont be cheap.

Not over $300 with iPod adapter for the 800 and not more then $250 with iPod adapter for the 880 personally.

That's used prices, if you find one BNIB, or in VERY good condition, bump that price by $50.

damn work has photobucket blocked now...What did it read Drew?

6.6v out of one of the two RCA's

Also, I can't find anything supporting the Burr Brown claim in the 9800BT. Maybe I'm missing it. :ughdunno:

Not over $300 with iPod adapter for the 800 and not more then $250 with iPod adapter for the 880 personally.

That's used prices, if you find one BNIB, or in VERY good condition, bump that price by $50.

^^this.... I need that damn adapter... got one Drew???

I will keep that in mind. Found various prices from 200 - 325. Problem is getting replies.

Bass about the bb dac. I was just going off of pioneers website.

Edited by liljestrand

^^this.... I need that damn adapter... got one Drew???

I do not have it. All I have is the one mine came with.