Hell-Razor

6 8" woofers

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which subs?

• DC lvl 2 8s
    • SA 8s

After rocking a DC lvl 5 15" now for about three years or so it has finally gone on me. I blew the voice coil the other day and well its time to move on... I know I can recone it and probably will do that and sell it, its time for something different.

I am thinking about 6 8" subwoofers for about 300 square inches of cone area. Seeing as I am limited on trunk space, the box will equal about 4.3 cubic feet and that will give me enough room for my amp and bats. With the lvl 5 on full bore, I was staying in the mid to lower 14v so I figure I am good on electrical for now. I will be pushing these 8s with a SAZ-3500D and probably wire the subs to .66. If I do that I will have at least one more battery put in the trunk.

My idea is for the woofers to fire into the cab, a 8" flared port 18.5 inches long will give me a tuning of about 36hz and seal it off from the trunk. This isnt going to be a spl box but more of a ground pounding box.

My issue is I am unsure about what brand to go. DC has always been good to me, but I hear the SA-8s are brutal in themselves. What do you guys think?

The new SA 8 V2 looks great and would be my choice of those 2. If there are any Soundsplinter Orphans left, 6 of those would be sweet and wire to 1ohm while being much cheaper.

SA-8 for sure. Just a stronger woofer.

Lets open this topic up a little bit more, how about any 8s across the market? I talked with denim and he recommended the Orphan 8s.

Before you buy anymore equipment, do you know why your Level 5 blew?

Mike of SoundSplinter is nearly giving away his remaining Orphan 8's (RL-i 8 cousin).

Mike of SoundSplinter is nearly giving away his remaining Orphan 8's (RL-i 8 cousin).

If I was in the market for some 8s, these would be in my top choices.

OP, Do you have some space restrictions that aren't allowing you to use 10" or 12" drivers? Reason I ask, less drivers with more cone area = similar if not more output and less costly.

Yes sadly. A few things to be honest

1) I somehow hit "loud" on my cd player without realizing it. No idea how long its been like that so I was clipping

2) The box was too big

3) I lowered the SSF and decided to play chopped and screwed stuff hitting at 24-28hz.

I know I talked to you Denim about this earlier. The only 8s I can find from soundsplinter are running at 200$ a pop

OP, Do you have some space restrictions that aren't allowing you to use 10" or 12" drivers? Reason I ask, less drivers with more cone area = similar if not more output and less costly.

Yeah I do have space restrictions. Instead of going for pure power (lvl 5 15) and calling it a day, I think I want cone area instead of power this time around. I would like to try and keep this as cheap as possible without getting like 20$ woofers from best buy or something lol.

Yes sadly. A few things to be honest

1) I somehow hit "loud" on my cd player without realizing it. No idea how long its been like that so I was clipping

2) The box was too big

3) I lowered the SSF and decided to play chopped and screwed stuff hitting at 24-28hz.

I know I talked to you Denim about this earlier. The only 8s I can find from soundsplinter are running at 200$ a pop

Yeah I do have space restrictions. Instead of going for pure power (lvl 5 15) and calling it a day, I think I want cone area instead of power this time around. I would like to try and keep this as cheap as possible without getting like 20$ woofers from best buy or something lol.

What are your space restrictions?

12 8s. :) orphans baby. They are going for like 90 a piece from Soundsplinter. You should jump on it.

there you will find the info on the orphans

Very nice. I just hope they have enough for me when time comes.

The only thing that scares me is they are 6 ohm....

Six 6 ohm speakers wire to 1 ohm so no problem there.

39"w, 18.5h, 17"d

Couldn't you fit 3 12s, have more cone area then 6 8" drivers, and spend less money?

39"w, 18.5h, 17"d

Couldn't you fit 3 12s, have more cone area then 6 8" drivers, and spend less money?

that box, not including any displacement would be about 7 cubes. I have not looked into the 12s option. I would like to fire forward and have not looked into any 12 options that would handle ~ 1k a pop. I dont think I would have enough room for port and woofer firing forward.

in order to fire the port and woofers forward, my calculators show that 6 8s would be the most cone area possible. =(

in order to fire the port and woofers forward, my calculators show that 6 8s would be the most cone area possible. =(

that's nothing to be sad about.

i got too hear a Toyota Camry with three sa-10's ported forward firing sealed off from the trunk on a 3k, doing mid 140's on music.

six of those orphans and if you get 3k to power them wouldl be straight. you would have more cone area than two 12's, but

less overall xmech, as they will only have a peak to peak of close to 2", and a 12" will have closer to 3" even with that the extra cone area will help off set the xmech deficiency which will only come into play on the very low end anyway.

no, those are not the SA-8s they are the E8s

The new SA-8s havent been released yet

There is a deal going on on the SA-e8s today I saw. Are these the infimous "badass" 8s sa makes or are these a different style? Please respond asap, I have the cash now if they are!

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-E8v2.html

The e8 is a lower power handling and less excursion compared to the sa-8

The current SA-8 from Sundown are sold out unless you can find a dealer or online dealer that has some in stock. The SA-8v.2 will be a bit before production begins.

The SoundSplinter Orphans are a hell of a buy.