dbsupra

Just how important is port area?

I've been searching on here and the internet about port area. I've seen anywhere from 12"/sqft to 25"/sqft.

Some say a smaller PAF will act more like a sealed enclosure and tighter sounding with higher power handling. A larger PAF will act more free air with a higher output at lower frequency but will sound loose and lower power handling.

I thought the box had more effect than port area does.

Where I'm at now. I have a single v1 sa8 in .63 net tuned at 37hz with 17"/sqft. I'm running a sax1200 at 2ohm gained down to 600wrms (clamped). I like the sound but seems that the output is a little lower than I expected. I really have my eye on the new v2 sa8 and would like to build a box for 2 of them running 1ohm.

I've been using Winisd and Torres calculator trying a few different designs. Depending on the size of the port and number has a big effect on port area (duh!) but just don't know what range I should be looking for.

I'm looking for a little more output, but like a punchy sound for rock/metal. I also listen to some dub, so like it to go low as well. Don't listen to rap at all. Not looking to chase any TL numbers or a one note wonder.

Any other info needed just ask!

Thanks!

You need more cone area.

I think you need to sell me your car and buy a CRX.

I can guarantee a 3 db gain.

Port area also depends on how much air the sub/s displaces.

Too little port area ends up performing like a leaky sealed box, which is not a good thing. Power handling increases because efficiency takes a dive, just as a normal sealed alignment would, in this hobby efficiency is extremely important as we normally have electrical system limitations. Power handling is primarily dependent on how large the internal area of the enclosure is, remember that also determines efficiency and possible air displacement.

Here is a helpful guide: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

That "punchy feeling" may be easier to attain with a sealed enclosure (but would lose output), not sure if sa8s are suited for that type of alignment.

It's a 8 inch woofer, you couldn't have expected that much? :shrug:

That's quick response!

Yeah, I had thought 2 would be more of what I was looking for.

I actually had a CRX a long time ago. This isn't for the supra tho. And everything is for sale at the right price!

Thanks for the link. I punched it in and it says I need a 6.2" port. That seems a bit excessive? I suppose I could go with a single 6" aero, but that would still be just below the min. Would 2 3" ports be roughly the same or would I need to calculate in area? It just calls it "diameter".

Stefan- it is punchy enough as is now. Just looking for more output. I'm not looking for being hit in the chest with a bat, but more of a doesn't sound like a wet towel thrown over it. I tossed it in a .5cuft sealed box and thought it was awful.

Thanks!

That's quick response!

I actually had a CRX a long time ago. This isn't for the supra tho. And everything is for sale at the right price!

Thanks for the link. I punched it in and it says I need a 6.2" port. That seems a bit excessive? I suppose I could go with a single 6" aero, but that would still be just below the min. Would 2 3" ports be roughly the same or would I need to calculate in area? It just calls it "diameter".

Stefan- it is punchy enough as is now. Just looking for more output. I'm not looking for being hit in the chest with a bat, but more of a doesn't sound like a wet towel thrown over it. I tossed it in a .5cuft sealed box and thought it was awful.

Thanks!

39.3 inches of port area with two 3 inch ports..

88.7 inches of port area with one 6 inch port..

That's what I thought. Seems crazy. I used 16.5mm xmax that I found in the sundown tech section.

And no I wasn't expecting to smash the front window or do crazy hairtricks. But I've seen a lot of vids of a single 8 get down with crap flexing all over the place. My mirrors don't even vibrate.

Remember, port area is dependent on the displacement capabilities of the woofer being used.

That's quick response!

Thanks!

How are you coming up with these numbers?

That's quick response!

Thanks!

pi multiplied by the radius squared..

and i'm not sure how I got those, I just did it again and.. 44.4 with the two 3 inch ports lol.

EDIT: forget everything I just did with math, lol guess I'm tired.

28.3 with the 6 inch aero..

14.15 with the (2) 3 inch aeros.. I think.. and goodnight. Thanks for catching me Stefan. :suicide-santa:

Edited by Freshh

That's quick response!

Thanks!

How large of an enclosure are you able to use? If you have the space I'd suggest larger woofers if you're looking for more output. Generally the enclosure required for an 8" driver isn't much smaller than a comparable 10" because of the volume displaced by the port. Especially with low tuned enclosures.

That's quick response!

Thanks!

pi multiplied by the radius squared..

and i'm not sure how I got those, I just did it again and.. 44.4 with the two 3 inch ports lol.

EDIT: forget everything I just did with math, lol guess I'm tired.

:ehh:

That's quick response!

Thanks!

Your math is way off :P

Area = radius*radius*pi.

2 3" ports = 14.13 sq in.

1 6" port = 28.26 sq in.

I've been searching on here and the internet about port area. I've seen anywhere from 12"/sqft to 25"/sqft.

Some say a smaller PAF will act more like a sealed enclosure and tighter sounding with higher power handling. A larger PAF will act more free air with a higher output at lower frequency but will sound loose and lower power handling.

Where I'm at now. I have a single v1 sa8 in .63 net tuned at 37hz with 17"/sqft. I'm running a sax1200 at 2ohm gained down to 600wrms (clamped). I like the sound but seems that the output is a little lower than I expected. I really have my eye on the new v2 sa8 and would like to build a box for 2 of them running 1ohm.

I've been using Winisd and Torres calculator trying a few different designs. Depending on the size of the port and number has a big effect on port area (duh!) but just don't know what range I should be looking for.

I'm looking for a little more output, but like a punchy sound for rock/metal. I also listen to some dub, so like it to go low as well. Don't listen to rap at all. Not looking to chase any TL numbers or a one note wonder.

Thanks!

17 sq ft of port? fuck thats a huge port.

Thanks!

17 sq ft of port? fuck thats a huge port.

Did you miss the slash? 17"/sqft = 17 inches per square foot.

Which, by the way, is a stupid rule of thumb.

Did you miss the slash? 17"/sqft = 17 inches per square foot.

Which, by the way, is a stupid rule of thumb.

It just ended up that way.

Speaking of which, how important is that? The design I came up with so far has plenty of port area now, but the inch per sq ft is only around 15"