pmureika

Burp a sub

To burp a sub would I just go wth a bigger amp and turn the gain up and give it a burst for 5 seconds or so? :ughdunno:

Huh?

I think you need a sub with the best bang for your buck first. :suicide-santa:

:WTFBubble: is a bibber amp?

I'm going to take a guess and say "bigger" :ughdunno:

bigger

yes damn fingers.

yes damn fingers.

:roflmao:

Okay.

"Burping" is just a term people made up when running excessive amounts of power to subwoofers for a short period of time.

Normally burping is done for SPL competitions, say your run is thirty seconds (I don't remember what the run lengths are for: meca or usaci), so you pull up in the lane and they say go. You have thirty seconds to play what you think will meter the highest.

Most subwoofers can handle double, triple, etc their rms rating in short short periods of time. If the time length is short enough then the coils don't really get a chance to heat up, so to speak.

This allows you to use a bigger amp, more power, and get more output for your runs on the mete. For daily it means absolutely nothing except a cooked coil if your an idiot and don't bring down the power.

I hope that makes sense.

:rofl2:

yes damn fingers.

:rofl2:

Okay.

"Burping" is just a term people made up when running excessive amounts of power to subwoofers for a short period of time.

Normally burping is done for SPL competitions, say your run is thirty seconds (I don't remember what the run lengths are for: meca or usaci), so you pull up in the lane and they say go. You have thirty seconds to play what you think will meter the highest.

Most subwoofers can handle double, triple, etc their rms rating in short short periods of time. If the time length is short enough then the coils don't really get a chance to heat up, so to speak.

This allows you to use a bigger amp, more power, and get more output for your runs on the mete. For daily it means absolutely nothing except a cooked coil if your an idiot and don't bring down the power.

I hope that makes sense.

So If I want to burp the sub the life will be short.

Okay.

I hope that makes sense.

Depends on a lot of factors. Time length of run, power used, enclosure, amplifier settings.

I could see one person burp the same driver without ever needing recones for several years, while another person completely melts the coils and needs a recone in five minutes.

Okay.

I hope that makes sense.

Depends on a lot of factors. Time length of run, power used, enclosure, amplifier settings.

I could see one person burp the same driver without ever needing recones for several years, while another person completely melts the coils and needs a recone in five minutes.

Just trying to see if its worth trying to compete.

There are lots of different ways to compete, read the rulebooks, and use some common sense.

I never geared my setup for competing, but I did like to show up and just for kicks see what my daily driver was able to pull off. Of course a larger amplifier and higher tuned enclosure would have raised me an easy 5dbs, but I wasn't serious about comps.

If you are indeed serious about competing, you need to be able to build enclosures for yourself, and have access to an accurate meter for testing purposes.

Burp usually means running a "Tone" instead of music for roughly 30 seconds.

Yeah I guess I should have just said that. :facepalm:

Yeah I guess I should have just said that. :facepalm:

Just trying to learn.

Yea but not for 30 seconds!

User just has a window of 30seconds to post their best score...

On a meter, 2-3 full seconds is PLENTY to get maximum pressure reading.

When running a lot more power than recommended, the shorter the better.. but that's trial and error to figure out yourself.

There are only 2 things a user needs to control when burping-

Mechanical movement and Thermal environment.

Thermal is easy, do a burp, should be fine as long as it's 2-3 seconds only (let cool down after the burp)

Mechanical- do not let the sub bottom out, do not let it leave the gap, if your motor doesn't have a pole vent, you may blow your dustcap off(if this happens, replace dustcap and drill small holes in it next time)

I know you probably haven't heard about hardly any of this.. welcome to competing, :)

When running a lot more power than recommended, the shorter the better.. but that's trial and error to figure out yourself.

Thermal is easy, do a burp, should be fine as long as it's 2-3 seconds only (let cool down after the burp)

Mechanical- do not let the sub bottom out, do not let it leave the gap, if your motor doesn't have a pole vent, you may blow your dustcap off(if this happens, replace dustcap and drill small holes in it next time)

I know you probably haven't heard about hardly any of this.. welcome to competing, :)

:thanx:

There's the answer.

:drink40:

There's the answer.

:drink40:

:thanx:

Burping doesn't have to be 2x-3x the rated power either. It can be anything. And there are MANY ways to compete. :)

db Drag Rule Book

USACi Rule Book

NESPL Rule Book

MECA SPL Rule Book

I had a term lab but sold it for money. I thank you for the help now I just need something near MI.

Burping doesn't have to be 2x-3x the rated power either. It can be anything. And there are MANY ways to compete. :)

db Drag Rule Book

USACi Rule Book

NESPL Rule Book

MECA SPL Rule Book

I had a term lab but sold it for money. I thank you for the help now I just need something near MI.

You had a TL but don't know how to burp a sub.......... :WTFBubble: