CarlSA8

Need my SA8's to beat a pair of 10's

Greetings, gents. I have an interesting goal where failure is not an option. Sparing details, a 'friend' of mine has a pair of DC level 3 10's being driven off a 3500 watt mono block, clamped around 2200. It hit 144 @ 29 hz and this is a rear-firing ported box in a trailblazer. This dude is a tool. Will not shut up about his setup and thinks he's unbeatable. Well again, sparing more details, I want to one-up his ass with 4 SA8's. Not only louder, but I want it to go lower.

Here's what I'm working with:

1996 Nissan Altima. The back seat is out and I hope to have the 4 SA8's sealed against the opening for maybe a 4th order? Or ported with just the subs blowing in? Sorry I'm down on my terminology, I've always been an SQ guy, so I'm only half brushed up on my SPL info. Anyway, I want to drive the 4 off an Audiopipe 3000d and hope to have each sub seeing ~600 watts at 2 ohms each. I'll have a Kinetic battery back there and such, I don't quite have my measurements for the trunk area yet either, but it's a good enough area for a few 8's. I want to tune the box real low. 28-32 hz, and I'm told .75 sq ft is a good number for these in a ported enclosure.

The advice I'm looking for is what box I should build. I like t-lines but also read they're more SQ than anything, ported I don't know if I shoot the port into the cab as well or out the trunk, sealed I'm told isn't great for these, etc etc etc.. So point me in a direction please. :)

I may be forgetting crucial information, but you'll have to excuse me as I'm on a bunch of medicine for an ass-kicking cold and can't quite think straight.

Where do you live? What amp does your friend have?

i'm from kansas city missouri. he's got an audioque 3500.1 sorry I left that out

Greetings, gents. I have an interesting goal where failure is not an option. Sparing details, a 'friend' of mine has a pair of DC level 3 10's being driven off a 3500 watt mono block, clamped around 2200. It hit 144 @ 29 hz and this is a rear-firing ported box in a trailblazer. This dude is a tool. Will not shut up about his setup and thinks he's unbeatable. Well again, sparing more details, I want to one-up his ass with 4 SA8's. Not only louder, but I want it to go lower.

1996 Nissan Altima. The back seat is out and I hope to have the 4 SA8's sealed against the opening for maybe a 4th order? Or ported with just the subs blowing in? Sorry I'm down on my terminology, I've always been an SQ guy, so I'm only half brushed up on my SPL info. Anyway, I want to drive the 4 off an Audiopipe 3000d and hope to have each sub seeing ~600 watts at 2 ohms each. I'll have a Kinetic battery back there and such, I don't quite have my measurements for the trunk area yet either, but it's a good enough area for a few 8's. I want to tune the box real low. 28-32 hz, and I'm told .75 sq ft is a good number for these in a ported enclosure.

The advice I'm looking for is what box I should build. I like t-lines but also read they're more SQ than anything, ported I don't know if I shoot the port into the cab as well or out the trunk, sealed I'm told isn't great for these, etc etc etc.. So point me in a direction please. :)

I may be forgetting crucial information, but you'll have to excuse me as I'm on a bunch of medicine for an ass-kicking cold and can't quite think straight.

KC MO

are you actually in KC or the surrounding area? We could model and make you an efficient enclosure.

KC MO

are you actually in KC or the surrounding area? We could model and make you an efficient enclosure.

Very tempting offer. I'm actually from Lawrence, but kcmo is just easier. lol

I do want to build this thing myself though. Since this kid designed and built his, I'm not about to give any ammo the other direction, ya know? And I'm plenty old and experienced enough to do it, just need some recommendations on box style and how to spec it out. Thanks for the reply

KC MO

Very tempting offer. I'm actually from Lawrence, but kcmo is just easier. lol

I do want to build this thing myself though. Since this kid designed and built his, I'm not about to give any ammo the other direction, ya know? And I'm plenty old and experienced enough to do it, just need some recommendations on box style and how to spec it out. Thanks for the reply

I'm From KC but currently stationed in Wichita Ks, if you need any help let me know.

We're currently forming a team

See sig.

Will do, man. And thanks again. I guess I can figure out the box dimensions myself, just undecided as to what style I should go for and where to shoot the port. Any ideas?

Very tempting offer. I'm actually from Lawrence, but kcmo is just easier.

Not far from me. I've got some relatives that live in Lawrence.

Not much help with your question, though. :ohnoes9:

It might be pretty tough to beat his score. He will probably have more power and he's in an suv whereas you have to defeat the almighty trunk. I'm not saying it isn't possible but you may have a hard time doing it. I'm sure you're up to the task though. Are you dead set on the SA8s?

It might be pretty tough to beat his score. He will have the cone area advantage, probably more power and he's in an suv whereas you have to defeat the almighty trunk. I'm not saying it isn't possible but you may have a hard time doing it. I'm sure you're up to the task though. Are you dead set on the SA8s?

Well that's where I'm saying I'd like to take out the back seat and seal the box against the opening between the seat and trunk. And would 2 ten's really have more cone area than 4 sa8's?

I guess I'm not 100% set on the 8's, just thought it would be even more of an ego-breakdown once it happens. I'm open to ideas. side note, I wish I had a big enough trunk for an incriminator 21... just can't happen.

You will have a little bit more cone area.

Sorry, I misread somehow and was thinking he had three 10s. Four 8s would be a slight cone area advantage over a pair of 10s. He'll likely just cry and moan that it took you 2 more drivers to win. How's the budget for this build? Also, are you only doing this to show up some guy?

Sorry, I misread somehow and was thinking he had three 10s. Four 8s would be a slight cone area advantage over a pair of 10s. He'll likely just cry and moan that it took you 2 more drivers to win. How's the budget for this build? Also, are you only doing this to show up some guy?

Lol not exactly. I've been drooling over the sa8's for over a year now. (I'm obsessed with 8's) But then this guy... well, I'm taking it as motivation and a high goal to set. As for budget, I have until summer to get it done and I make okay money. I just don't want to drop 4 bills on an amp when the Audiopipe will do an awesome job for $310. That's kind of the mindset I have with it.

From the competitions ive been to...

Ive seen subs firing inside and port firin inside meter well. The problem is gonna see how well the subs unload. Alot of testing has to be done. Doyou have acsess to a termlab?

I don't have access to one for R&D so to speak.. just have to hope for the best on comp day

An actual budget or at least roundabout figure would really help us to help you. Does your vehicle have any eletrical upgrades at all right now?

Plot the SA-8 T/S on WinISD and play around with tuning and enclosure size to see where you see the gain.

An actual budget or at least roundabout figure would really help us to help you. Does your vehicle have any eletrical upgrades at all right now?

For the bass alone, I'd like to not exceed $1000 I guess. But if it starts inching over that I'm not going to be upset.

Plot the SA-8 T/S on WinISD and play around with tuning and enclosure size to see where you see the gain.

Installing it now. Thanks

Why not making it an even playing field? 3 10's will be the same cone area... Get around if not a bit less power and design an enclosure that will stomp on his system

Why not making it an even playing field? 3 10's will be the same cone area... Get around if not a bit less power and design an enclosure that will stomp on his system

3 10's when he's got 2, he will cry about it. I'd like to do it with 8's and I know the SA's can pull it off.

Are you planning on building the enclosure and doing the install yourself?

Well that should save you a bundle. Are you keeping in mind that you're probably going to need 2-3 good batteries and possibly a ho alternator to have enough juice to maintain good voltage? Will you be using another amplifier for your mids/highs? Also, by "For the bass alone, I'd like to not exceed $1000 I guess" did you mean subs and amp only?

(2) SA 10s ported off a SAZ2500D and make him squeal like a pig! Of course box design is gonna be key as well as electrical.