Sign in to follow this  
An-i-no

Power VS. Cone Area for front stage...

I know that in the subwoofer realm, cone area reigns over power if you're trying to get louder. Does this apply to fronts too?

I recently got a new set of comps and I love em but they're not loud enough....well...that's misleading. I'm sure they'll get loud enough but I don't feel comfortable throwing 300+ watts on each side to get what I want. So I thought maybe running two sets up front would give me the loudness I'm looking for while still retaining the clarity of the sound.

I'm not looking for perfect imaging and staging because I know having four tweets up front will ruin that (or will it?) As long as its equally as loud in each ear, I'm happy. Will two (or more) sets of components fit the bill or do I just need better (or pro audio) speakers? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm...

What speakers (size as well) do you currently have? Where are they installed? What exactly are they lacking? Overall, just not loud enough? Highs loud enough, but not vocals and midbass?

How much space do you have / willing to fab to fit additional speakers?

More cone area will certainly increase output, but to a certain extent so can more power (assuming it's within the driver's limits).

What comps do you have? What amp are you using? Location of mids and tweets?

I have Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5 comps, mids in the stock location in the doors tweets are ear level on the door panel. They sound awesome, and you can hear it just fine over the bass at max volume but the details are drowned out.

I was thinking of doing another set up front with the mids in the kicks and the tweets....Idk yet. Would having one mid in the door and one in the kicks be a problem? My main goal is loudness really. As long as they sound as good as they do now with x2 volume I'd be extremely pleased.

I am currently running an AQ 4x90 bridged (~240wrms per side on tap. Not sure how much I'm really using) on the fronts. If I were to switch to two sets up front I would find a ~125x4 and use all four channels on the fronts.

You got them installed already? I didn't even know they had been delivered yet. I'm sure glad someone is enjoying them. :drink40:

You got them installed already? I didn't even know they had been delivered yet. I'm sure glad someone is enjoying them. :drink40:

Yep. They got here Saturday, I got em in yesterday, they're awesome. I forgot to pm you my bad. I just really don't wanna melt em lol

You should be able to get plenty of output out of them bridged on that amp with the gain low. I wouldn't expect them to last very long with 240 watts per side listening at high volume. It would be hard to find another mid or tweet to go with the rest if you smoke one. I'm not implying in any way that you don't know what you're doing, just would like to see you happy with this set for a long time to come.

You should be able to get plenty of output out of them bridged on that amp with the gain low. I wouldn't expect them to last very long with 240 watts per side listening at high volume. It would be hard to find another mid or tweet to go with the rest if you smoke one. I'm not implying in any way that you don't know what you're doing, just would like to see you happy with this set for a long time to come.

Exactly, which is why I'm thinking of snatching up another set I found and running both up front rather than trying to get the ones I have to be supercomps. Who knows, maybe they'll break in in a few days and shut me up?

You probably won't experience a large increase in output simply because the suspension softens up a tad. A 6.5" mid can only do so much.