Sign in to follow this  
jrod1050

Soundstream Class A 10.0 Reference on a sub

Is there really any advantage to running this amp on a sub. I know alot of sound quality guys love this amp to use on tweeters and mids. I was under the impression that once this amp pushes out a certain amount of watts it switches from class a mode to an a/b amp. The only advantage i see is that its stable down to .25 ohms. Anybody that knows about this amp please comment

Link?

I guess the main thing is that there are more powerful class a/b old school amps out there for use on sub duty than the SS reference you have.

I was under the impression that once this amp pushes out a certain amount of watts it switches from class a mode to an a/b amp.

That is the way every class A/B amp operates, there's nothing special about the Soundstream Class A amps in that regard. There also isn't anything special about when the Soundstream Class A amps "switches" out of class A operation.....it really isn't at any higher wattage than a typical class A/B amp. Really, "Class A" here is nothing but a model name for Soundstream, there's nothing uniquely "class A" about their design.

But to answer your question.....no, there is no benefit to running it on a sub and actually would be disadvantageous due to it's likely lower efficiency compared to a typical class D amp, especially if it was loaded down to an extremely low impedance.

Thanks for the info impious. So this amp is really a class a fraud. lol. Whats the reason everyone talks so highly about this amp? Does it have great sound? I havent had the chance to hook it up yet. I saw it for sale and it was super cheap so I picked it up.

So this amp is really a class a fraud.

Calling or promoting amps as being "Class A" was a fad for a while. If I recall correctly there's only one "true" class A amp in car audio (and it was a tube amp), and less than a handful that stay in class A operation higher into their power output than typical. Class A in car audio is actually highly undesirable because they have a maximum efficiency of 25% and draw full current all the time, even at idle.

Whats the reason everyone talks so highly about this amp? Does it have great sound?

They are well built and designed amplifiers, but honestly most of the flattering talk about them now is probably more nostalgia than anything. I'm not too fond of amplifier sonics, so I wouldn't give them the attribute of having "great sound". I think part of their allure is because people think they are something they are not; namely, class A, just as you did.

While not class A it is an excellent amp. It's build quality is hard to find in today's world.

It's a 10+ yr old amp that still works and is still sought after by many. And not for the silly "A" label.

It will sound great for mids/ highs but be a waste on sub unless your going to load it down to make the power and then it would still be a waste. It wasn't really meant for a sub.

It's old and nice. If u were not trying to run class D for efficiency I would be running okd soundstream. I have owned nearly everything and the old SS is tops for many reasons.

There is a reason some amps outlive others