sundownz

Got my PSI Passive Radiator -- What For ?!

So I got up with Dave about making me a cool passive radiator... why, you might ask ? Well... first, I don't make passive radiators. Second... Dave does and he does good work. Third... fitting a port in the box for one SA-8 is a chore and very often not practical. So... the solution is a PR of course ! Dave can make these for other applications as well -- check them out at PSI Car Audio.

On the the photos :

CIMG5600.JPG

CIMG5601.JPG

CIMG5602.JPG

CIMG5603.JPG

* Adjustable mass for even lower tuning... we expect to be in the mid 30s with stock mass on this PR.

CIMG5604.JPG

The PR really looks great -- Dave's usual high quality work.

I'll get pictures and data up once I have time to make the box. This may become an officially suggested product for usage with SA-8s if it works as well as I think it will!

Edited by sundownz

Is the PR a 10?

Yes, you typically want a bigger PR than the woofer.

Haha I know, I just couldn't tell if it was a 10 or 12. Looking forward to the results.

Meh..... :suicide-santa:

That's one big f@cking dust cap on that PR. :o In for results. :peepwall:

CIMG5606.JPG

CIMG5608.JPG

Also took a quick video of the first time powering it up on the test bench... that is uploading. Just a quick one to show the sub and PR moving. I will get more and testing once I drop it in my car.

What's in the jar?? Is that some special sub potion??

Just a video of them moving -- not a ton of output sitting in free air like that + I was playing things just to make them move for testing. We threw it in a corner afterwards and it was pretty impressive :)

Can't wait to drop it in my car !

Edited by sundownz

Looks great!!! Juice it up!!

pr setups are nice similar output too ported, but a smoother roll off and smaller boxes.

I've ran nothing but pr's in my daily for the past two years.

I am REALLY pleased so far... plan to add some mass and do more testing. Tuning looks to be in the high 30s with no added mass, would like to see it in the low 30s :)

Uploading a few videos... so far on music in the 132-133 dB range on the dash and in the kick panel sealed and window / door open (all about the same) peaking at 40 or so Hz on the song I was using.

Will do some more testing tuning the PR down as well in the near future.

To me it sounds more like a higher SPL due to how well it handles material down into the 30s and I'm more than happy with it for all of my daily listening. I will definitely recommend these PRs officially for the SA-8s from now on.

Eqing the peak out, what's the usable bandwidth with this application?

I've yet to do an RTA on it... sounds pretty damn good, though.

Once I tune it down a bit I'll do a response graph on it.

I like!!!

Just curious if U would recommend these for the first gen SA8's as well.

Porting difficulties, and thus the PR, is due to it only being a single 8"? Going with 2 or more should make porting a bit more manageable, right?

Porting difficulties, and thus the PR, is due to it only being a single 8"? Going with 2 or more should make porting a bit more manageable, right?

Yes, it's much easier to manage the port with 2 or more.

This is a very interesting setup ... Very nice work Sir !!!