Sign in to follow this  
AllenH427

Something really bad happened, help please

I was giving a friend a demo, nothing outrageous, basically just how I listen to it daily. In the middle of it, the bass got real quiet... I look back and I saw one (didn't see the other) sub was going crazy excursion. I start to smell a very bad burning smell coming, like big time, so something definitely happened. I check the amp, it's not hot, nor is smoke coming out, and the smell isn't really coming from the amp.

I get home, my amp is sitting at 1.9 ohms (usually always .7 ohm), then check my subs:

Coil 1&2: 1. imp was fluctuating like crazy 2. Coil was jumping a little between 1.7 to 1.9.

Coil 3&4: 3. imp was fluctuating like crazy. 4. Couldn't even get a reading.

I push on the subs, they aren't scratching. So now I know the woofers are toast... but now I'm wondering if it was the amp that caused this. It's pretty rare to see both subs go out at the same time.

Note: It was a little moist in my car today, but the amp wasn't moist (my trunk is sealed off from the cabin.)

What do you guys think? I have a little Fi X to test tomorrow and see how that goes.

Subs are 2 N2 BTLs (D .7)

Amp is AQ 3500.1

Edit: The sub that had crazy excursion is the one that didn't have a reading on coil 4.

Edited by AllenH427

I was giving a friend a demo, nothing outrageous, basically just how I listen to it daily. In the middle of it, the bass got real quiet... I look back and I saw one (didn't see the other) sub was going crazy excursion. I start to smell a very bad burning smell coming, like big time, so something definitely happened. I check the amp, it's not hot, nor is smoke coming out, and the smell isn't really coming from the amp.

I get home, my amp is sitting at 1.9 ohms (usually always .7 ohm), then check my subs:

Coil 1&2: 1. imp was fluctuating like crazy 2. Coil was jumping a little between 1.7 to 1.9.

Coil 3&4: 3. imp was fluctuating like crazy. 4. Couldn't even get a reading.

I push on the subs, they are scratching. So now I know the woofers are toast... but now I'm wondering if it was the amp that caused this. It's pretty rare to see both subs go out at the same time.

Note: It was a little moist in my car today, but the amp wasn't moist (my trunk is sealed off from the cabin.)

What do you guys think? I have a little Fi X to test tomorrow and see how that goes.

Subs are 2 N2 BTLs (D .7)

Amp is AQ 3500.1

Edit: The sub that had crazy excursion is the one that didn't have a reading on coil 4.

I've seen it happen multiple times. Your amp is probably fine.

Subs AREN'T scratching, mistyped that. And not sure how's it moist, my subs and dynamat was slightly misty.

Subs AREN'T scratching, mistyped that. And not sure how's it moist, my subs and dynamat was slightly misty.

You got some weird shot going on.

Lift up your carpet. Is the foam padding under it soaked?

Hard to say. But if the subs were truly at half or even less volume (no idea how loud your definition of "daily" is) and the subs got quiet then basically blew up then I would test out the amp for sure.

you lost a coil.

Recone the sub, should fix the problem... I am guessing the subs have been pushed much harder before and just happened to be a coincidence when the one sub chose to fail.

Just curious, what voltage does your battery/charging system maintain when "daily bumping?"

:morepower1:

You got some weird shot going on.

Lift up your carpet. Is the foam padding under it soaked?

My amps were moist yesterday as well, its not wierd just depends on the weather that day.

I have condensation in my vehicle all the time.

One of ur coils burnt up. Time for a recone

Okay, time to answer all of your questions going in order.

Tested the amp on my Fi X, amp works great. Took off the back plate, the inside looks perfect as well as sexy.

I did lose a coil. Subs impedance reads this outside of the box, and this is for sure:

Sub 1, coil 1- no read, coil 2- 0.7

Sub 2, coil 1- 1.9, coil 2- 1.9

Daily listening, the lowest I ever see the voltage get is 12.9... Usually it never goes below 13.3V.