SP4 4" coil vs 3" on N2

SP4 10" spider and higher mechanical linearity than N2

SP4 More long term thermal stability

SP4 Sealed capable vs N2 ported only

N2 More motor force

N2 Inductance ring that balances the inductance swing better

SP4 Slightly lower overall inductance than N2

N2 Well... its cool because its Neo

N2 It's expensive because its Neo (and constantly increasing in cost)

SP4 Slightly higher Xmax (coil limited)

SP4 Lower FS for those that think it matters

In general we created the N2 as the replacement for the older generation BTLs. We have seen the direction people are going with the BTLs and arranged the N2 specs to be closer to intended applications (huge, deep hitting, daily setups). Then creating the N3 to fill the void for the high motor force applications like extreme SPL or simply those that like that "sound".

The SP4 pushes things a little further in the daily driver direction. While the N2s have proven to work well in 4th orders, they simply don't in sealed. The SP4 does just that, and a little better than the N2 in 4ths. It still works great in ported, with the ability to have a heavier peak down low as well.

In testing it is a very solid sub that can take quite a bit of abuse. While not needed (none of the original test drivers we built had it) we do have the option for spaced spiders (2 on the top and 3 on the bottom) with a 1" ring between. In this configuration we have hand sewn on leads in between the spiders. In its standard configuration with 5 spiders and the gapped cone, it is a very stable platform (not a triple jointed sub. The cone is spaced about 1.125" from the top of the spiders. This stabilizes the coil better than the standard triple joint and is what we are doing on the standard versions of the SSD, Q, and BL drivers now).

So which is better? I dont know...lol If you need every bit of weight savings you can find, then the N2. If you are tech oriented and have to have innovation, then the N2. If you need an even more abuse tolerant speaker then the SP4 is for you. If you want big, SP4. Sealed, SP4. Even more thermal stability, SP4. They each have their merits. Choosing the "better" driver is up to your application.

I think the SP4 is in keeping with the times and applications people are heading towards. High excursion, stability, and thermal power handling... albeit at a cost of weight and depth over the N2 series.

Yesss! Thank you for posting this.

They both seem like great woofers. :fing34:

i think is a great daily sub and better than n2 in this aplication.

But in SPL applications ?

N3

i think is a great daily sub and better than n2 in this aplication.

But in SPL applications ?

It's not meant for pure SPL applications.

Quick questions:

So in a sealed box, SP4, with say about 2000W rms

how important is it to have the space spiders?

Cooling or a combination of both?

Why have a 2000w driver in a sealed enclosure?

High powered sealed option, not enough room for ported?

so what tuning do you recommend for the SP4?????

I got a specific question. In a daily setup tuned to have a fairly flat response in the optimum sized ported enclosure, which one would have the highest average output over the majority of the frequency range of lets say 28-65?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a used N2 and a new SP4... I love the 21 Warden I have but it's in a SUV. The next one is going in a trunk. I could use the weight savings. But I would like to be able to have more output and run a single sub setup instead of two Idmaxes.

Edited by Blak

I got a specific question. In a daily setup tuned to have a fairly flat response in the optimum sized ported enclosure, which one would have the highest average output over the majority of the frequency range of lets say 28-65?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a used N2 and a new SP4... I love the 21 Warden I have but it's in a SUV. The next one is going in a trunk. I could use the weight savings. But I would like to be able to have more output and run a single sub setup instead of two Idmaxes.

your vehicle will play kinda of a big role in that answer.... So, I'm just gonna say the SP4... lol

I'd like to know which one is better for what application. Seems like of course the SP4 is better in sealed but what about a reg. straight up ported enclosure?

does fi plan on making a 12" version?

Yes

when? id like 2!

Said their wrapping the 12 version up now & should be out 1st of the year.

12's are a good size. Their versatile

So is the Sp4 geared to being a more daily ground pounder? I have a Q 12" right now in a f150 EXT cab and I'm looking to upgrade. No comps in mind I don't really care what it meters or anything. Just one it to slam out lows. I like how my Q sounds just looking for :morepower1:

Edited by sweendog

SP4 Heavier

SP4 More mounting depth

SP4 4" coil vs 3" on N2

SP4 10" spider and higher mechanical linearity than N2

SP4 More long term thermal stability

SP4 Sealed capable vs N2 ported only

N2 More motor force

N2 Inductance ring that balances the inductance swing better

SP4 Slightly lower overall inductance than N2

N2 Well... its cool because its Neo

N2 It's expensive because its Neo (and constantly increasing in cost)

SP4 Slightly higher Xmax (coil limited)

SP4 Lower FS for those that think it matters

In general we created the N2 as the replacement for the older generation BTLs. We have seen the direction people are going with the BTLs and arranged the N2 specs to be closer to intended applications (huge, deep hitting, daily setups). Then creating the N3 to fill the void for the high motor force applications like extreme SPL or simply those that like that "sound".

The SP4 pushes things a little further in the daily driver direction. While the N2s have proven to work well in 4th orders, they simply don't in sealed. The SP4 does just that, and a little better than the N2 in 4ths. It still works great in ported, with the ability to have a heavier peak down low as well.

In testing it is a very solid sub that can take quite a bit of abuse. While not needed (none of the original test drivers we built had it) we do have the option for spaced spiders (2 on the top and 3 on the bottom) with a 1" ring between. In this configuration we have hand sewn on leads in between the spiders. In its standard configuration with 5 spiders and the gapped cone, it is a very stable platform (not a triple jointed sub. The cone is spaced about 1.125" from the top of the spiders. This stabilizes the coil better than the standard triple joint and is what we are doing on the standard versions of the SSD, Q, and BL drivers now).

So which is better? I dont know...lol If you need every bit of weight savings you can find, then the N2. If you are tech oriented and have to have innovation, then the N2. If you need an even more abuse tolerant speaker then the SP4 is for you. If you want big, SP4. Sealed, SP4. Even more thermal stability, SP4. They each have their merits. Choosing the "better" driver is up to your application.

I think the SP4 is in keeping with the times and applications people are heading towards. High excursion, stability, and thermal power handling... albeit at a cost of weight and depth over the N2 series.

So is the Sp4 geared to being a more daily ground pounder? I have a Q 12" right now in a f150 EXT cab and I'm looking to upgrade. No comps in mind I don't really care what it meters or anything. Just one it to slam out lows. I like how my Q sounds just looking for :morepower1:

Yes, I highlighted that part for you on the above quote! If your looking for higher power handling, the SP4 is your subwoofer of choice!

Sweet thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. Originally I was going to get a N2 but the prices of NEO are flying up. So is the space spider just for more power handling? and is there an estimate on what the cooling option will add to the handling?

Sweet thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. Originally I was going to get a N2 but the prices of NEO are flying up. So is the space spider just for more power handling? and is there an estimate on what the cooling option will add to the handling?

The spaced spider aids in mechanical linearity of the voice coil.

WOW!!! I think i might have to sell my 4 BL 12's and get 2 SP4 15's......I like the low of the lows but have never owned a set of 15's.