Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Help Choose Speakers

Car is a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire, I'm gonna drop an FI Q 10" or 12" (prob 12") in the trunk powered by a Sundown SAX-1200D or if not then an Audioque 1200D. I need to upgrade the 6.5" speakers and tweeters in the doors and was looking for some feedback from people who have some experience with them. They will be powered by the stock 6-channel amplifier. I will be disconnecting the stock 6.5" sub woofers and I can (hopefully) bridge 4 channels into the 2 speakers and the remaining 2 channels will power the tweeters. Im aiming for a SQ setup. Also I will be putting in a Pioneer MVH-P7300 head unit.

So with all that information which of these speakers is a good choice:

Rockford Fosgate R1653

Infinity Reference 6032cf

Kicker DS60

Or would I be better off spending an extra ~$20 and get one of these:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1S652

Infinity Kappa 652.9i

Kicker KS60

Am I looking at the right brands? Should I look at some other ones? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 40oz

IMO, I think you can do better unless your staying at a certain price range & those kickers get very harsh when played loud, well to me they do. However, thats a great site, have bought alot of stuff from them!

Other options ya might want to check out! (Also, checkout the SSA store!)

Diamond Audio.

Cadence.

Focal.

Mb Quart.

Moral.

Bravox.

Image Dynamics.

DLS.

CDT.

To name a few! Theres alot out there...

IMO, I think you can do better unless your staying at a certain price range & those kickers get very harsh when played loud, well to me they do. However, thats a great site, have bought alot of stuff from them!

Diamond Audio.

Cadence.

Focal.

Mb Quart.

Moral.

Bravox.

Image Dynamics.

DLS.

CDT.

Thanks for the input! So ill stay away from the Kickers then...and I am dropping a large amount (for me) on the sub and the amp for it, so maybe I shouldn't skimp on the speakers. I guess the max I am willing to spend would be ~$100

Diamond Audio.

Cadence.

Focal.

Mb Quart.

Moral.

Bravox.

Image Dynamics.

DLS.

CDT.

Thanks for the input! So ill stay away from the Kickers then...and I am dropping a large amount (for me) on the sub and the amp for it, so maybe I shouldn't skimp on the speakers. I guess the max I am willing to spend would be ~$100

Notta prob man! Yeah, def dont want to skimp to much on your speakers, imo it can make or break the over all sound of your setup & of course the install as well. Also, later on down the road, put an amp to what ya get & will make your speakers shine even more!

You do no want SQ. You just want it clear and loud.

What type of enclosure will the subwoofer be in? Sealed or ported?

If I get the 12" I will have it in a 1.0 cube sealed box.

Edited by 40oz

Have you considered a ported enclosure?

Have you considered a ported enclosure?

Yeah I have thought about it but I'm leaning towards the sealed as that is whats recommended by FI. Also I dont have the biggest trunk to work with.

Do you recommend me to go with a ported enclosure? If I do decide to do that I will definitely have to stick with the 10".

Edited by 40oz

If in fact hes lookin for "SQ"... Wouldnt a ported box kinda kill it being a sealed is going to have a broader range?

If in fact hes lookin for "SQ"... Wouldnt a ported box kinda kill it being a sealed is going to have a broader range?

This is why I was leaning towards a sealed enclosure as from what I can gather it is more appropriate for a SQ setup...not to say that it wouldn't sound good in a ported box or anything.

Although I do want to get everything right the first time around, the box is something I can switch up later on if I am unhappy with the outcome so I'm not particularly worried about this detail of the setup.

Edited by 40oz

Not in the least. A propertly designed ported enclosure can easily rival the response range of a sealed enclosure while providing much more output.

This is why I was leaning towards a sealed enclosure as from what I can gather it is more appropriate for a SQ setup...not to say that it wouldn't sound good in a ported box or anything.

Agreed with ya on that! Im far from an expert, but IMO (However ive never used a sealed box) I think your gonna be happier with a sealed box for what your wanting to do... :drink40:

Keep in mind aswell, when choosing your speakers.. Are you gonna go with a silk/soft dome tweet, or do you want somethin a bit brighter like a titanium tweet & so on...

Not in the least. A propertly designed ported enclosure can easily rival the response range of a sealed enclosure while providing much more output.

Very true! But, theres FQs thats not gonna quite really be as clear as a sealed. I truly dont know the full ins & outs with boxes, but just based on what ive read & so fourth...

Diamond Audio.

Cadence.

Focal.

Mb Quart.

Moral.

Bravox.

Image Dynamics.

DLS.

CDT.

Notta prob man! Yeah, def dont want to skimp to much on your speakers, imo it can make or break the over all sound of your setup & of course the install as well. Also, later on down the road, put an amp to what ya get & will make your speakers shine even more!

Well I believe the stock amplifier is 6 channels x 35 RMS for a total of 210 RMS. I was thinking if I could bridge 4 of the channels to power the 2 speakers feeding them with 70 RMS each. Then I would still have 2 channels on the amp and the 4 x 14 RMS from the head unit to work with. Do you think another amp would be necessary?

I doubt you can bridge the factory amplifier.

I doubt you can bridge the factory amplifier.

Yeah I didn't even consider this.

Yeah, like bass said.. I dont see you being able to do that, honestly I dont think you can from what I know of lol... Just take it step by step man, do what ya can now & upgrade when funds allowed :drink40: