burton907

Extended cab trucks - TOO much cone area?

I just recently picked up a 98 F150 extended cab PU, and I have always been curious as too if there is an ideal amount of cone area vs cab space available?

I am only planning on putting what ever i can fit in the place behind the drivers seat, so i have room for 2 people to still sit in the back. But i wasn't sure (if i could get it to fit) if 2 10's/12's in a daily ported box? At this point, it is just an idea but i am thinking about an Xcons. I'm looking for more SQ with some output when i really want to turn it up.

anyone have experience in a small cab space? I picture that much cone area in such a small cab space to be sloppy sounding. My last rig was a single 12" Q ported in a 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it sounded buttery smooth. I know sub, box, tuning is all dependent on how it sounds, but as a general idea I imagine a very sloppy, over whelming bleh sound.

Cone area should not effect transient response, a properly built and tuned box will sound clean... The issue with trucks is that it is completely too easy for subs to overwhelm the mids and highs in such a small enclosed area, so less bass is needed to achievable a similar "loudness"

I have a 21inch sub in my ext cab and it sounds damn good. Only thing is roof rattle when it's up loud.

Cone area should not effect transient response, a properly built and tuned box will sound clean... The issue with trucks is that it is completely too easy for subs to overwhelm the mids and highs in such a small enclosed area, so less bass is needed to achievable a similar "loudness"

ahh, yes. That is exactly how i feel about it. I have heard 2 different trucks with a system, but only one from the inside and it was a while ago. I couldn't pin point what i didn't like about it, but I believe this sums it up. I'll definitally be upgrading the speakers, so hopefully that will fulfill my satisfaction. I think I'm just going to go with a single 12" as i'm sure that will fill in plenty of the lows at half power with the ability to crank it if i wanted too.

Now the question is, which way to face the sub and/or port. I heard down firing in trucks is pretty succesful, but I don't have to do that if I choose not too, i have plenty of space in each direction. Time to do some research! Anyone have personal experience having the same setup in multiple different ways to compare?

Yea my boy has 2 15's in his it sounds pretty damn good. And he did subs up port up, hope this helps you.

Edited by YojO

I would do sub and port down. It's the best option based on the small amount of cone area.

Agreed on walling, that's an easy wall to start off with

I'd personally do subs fwd port on drivers side for a wall

Idk if you guys read his first post, but he said he wants to keep room for two people to sit in the back seat still...

Idk if you guys read his first post, but he said he wants to keep room for two people to sit in the back seat still...

haha thanks, I was getting a little worried myself that people didn't know how to read. btw, got any pictures or videos of your setup? I'm having crazy withdrawals from my old jeep and i was really close to putting a 15" btl in there but i had to turn around and sell it?

I would do sub and port down. It's the best option based on the small amount of cone area.

my only dilemma is with this is that I'm unsure if i can remove just the seat behind the drivers seat, or if its mounted all as one bench even though its split 70/30. I was just planning on folding the seat down, and have the sub mounted on top of the seat. Do you think it would be worth having it down fire off of the seat? it would be on somewhat hard plastic (with the seat folded down/open) and i just picture that absorbing all the sound and not allow the waves to bounce off of it very well

In my truck it seemed that a lower box sounded louder to the ear and hit the lows better.

I did 6 8's and they sounded just as loud if not louder then 2 15's I have now.....the 8's were definately louder on the lower notes. 8's were in a shorter box, seems like with a taller box it does something weird

I have subs forward/port up on driver side...maybe because the port is higher up closer to my head?

so by "lower" you mean height wise? that's an interesting thought, I kinda wanted my port and driver pointing out the side towards the passenger side, but i dont want to have it blasting right in the people in the back seats' face. I don't know if there would be room to do port and driver down firing, what if i did driver up/port down? for some reason i don't picture that working mechanically at all.

I have tried a few configurations in my tacoma.

sub and port up was pretty nice. Sub facing forward is just brutal if you have a lot of power.

Oh and I guess I better figure this out too because I am looking for a new setup as well and want to leave one side for a passenger in the back.

guess I better keep thinking. maybe keep the port low facing forward or to the side?

Anyone have more input on this I too have an extended cab truck and was planning on 1 12 on 1200 watts with icon 12 and sax 1200 d amp

Well I run 2 18's subs forward port forward on drivers side. And it's the best sounding system my truck has ever had.

port up or port side is the only way to go unless it is walled, sounds much better with the port not facing the seats (forward).

Sounds better or gets louder?

both, in my applications which are NOT walls. it is louder to ear, not sure about on a meter though.

Edited by ChevyBoy95