Sign in to follow this  
04SDExplorer

How many batts for a 40.1

working on getting my system put back in, for the next season. Currently I have an xs power d6500 under the hood, a 270 amp mechman alt, big 3 in 1/0. I'm Going to go with d3100's for my secondary batteries. How many of them would be suffice to power the 40.1 @ .5ohm daily and keep my voltage stable? I was running just 1 2400 kinetik and my voltage dropped to low 12's very quickly. Hoping to stay in the 13's at full tilt.

3-4 man

Really? That many? I was thinking 2 would of been plenty but wasn't sure..i guess i'll see if i have the funds for a 3rd.

If you have to ask man........ :suicide-santa:

If you have to ask man........ :suicide-santa:

At least he ask before posting wondering why something is wrong haha

I'm no newbie, I've been running this amp for about 2 years. I'm just not familiar with xs batteries. At one time I had 3 kinetik 2400's running it and it did fine. Just thought since xs is "above the rest" I wouldn't have to run so many, that's all.

I don't use any fancy batteries in my system. I use two 1050 CA batteries that I get for $75 a piece. I also have a 40.1 and the voltage stays nice and high with no light dimming in my Jeep. I also use 2/0 gauge wiring and run my 40.1 at .5 ohms. That's my .02

Yeah, i think i'm gonna go with 2 and see what happens. I wish more people that actually own this amp and run these batts would chime in lol

I don't use any fancy batteries in my system. I use two 1050 CA batteries that I get for $75 a piece. I also have a 40.1 and the voltage stays nice and high with no light dimming in my Jeep. I also use 2/0 gauge wiring and run my 40.1 at .5 ohms. That's my .02

I don't get what cranking amps would have to do with car audio. You should be looking at amp hours or ah. Cranking amps were more of a deal when every car had huge v8 engines and were hard to crank over.

I don't get what cranking amps would have to do with car audio. You should be looking at amp hours or ah. Cranking amps were more of a deal when every car had huge v8 engines and were hard to crank over.

Cranking amps are very important, thats how much current the battery is capable of producing for 30 seconds. Very important thing to know especially in a competition situation

Cranking amps are very important, thats how much current the battery is capable of producing for 30 seconds. Very important thing to know especially in a competition situation

You are absolutely correct. The most important things in car audio, as far as batteries are concerned are

1. Cold cranking amps/Max amps (all the same)

2. Internal resistance (how fast a battery can discharge its power. A good Internal resistance is between 1.8 - 3 mOhms. Anything higher, requires too much work for the amp to draw power, anything lower, can cause the amp to drain power to fast and not keep a constant power output.)

In short, amp hour (ah) don't mean squat. Ah is only good for telecom purposes.

Example. A battery with a CCA of 900 amp/internal resistance of 2.2/ah of 90 vs a battery with a CCA of 900/internal resistance of 4/ ah of 102, I put my money on the battery with the lower internal resistance and lower ah every time.

Edited by Team Man-Up (Ray)

Odyssey has been the only company I seen show full specs on internal resistance in a up front chart... Not sure who else...

Install and monitor your voltage drop with 1.

stock alt in my van, with my 3000d running full tilt for 10 minutes im only dropping into the 12.3-12.4 range with a single d3100. i'd say go with 2 and you should be more than fine.

stock alt in my van, with my 3000d running full tilt for 10 minutes im only dropping into the 12.3-12.4 range with a single d3100. i'd say go with 2 and you should be more than fine.

Not very helpful. Lol. Is this at idle or 2k on the dash???

I'm interested in a little more info as well. That Caravan must have a bad ass factory alternator.

I'm interested in a little more info as well. That Caravan must have a bad ass factory alternator.

Sounds a lot like my Durango. It had a stock 180amp alternator. With a XS D2700 and XS D1200 it would run at full tilt for ~10 minutes before any voltage drop. Amps were Sundown 3500 and 100.4.

Sounds a lot like my Durango. It had a stock 180amp alternator. With a XS D2700 and XS D1200 it would run at full tilt for ~10 minutes before any voltage drop. Amps were Sundown 3500 and 100.4.

Were you gassing up the Durango ????

working on getting my system put back in, for the next season. Currently I have an xs power d6500 under the hood, a 270 amp mechman alt, big 3 in 1/0. I'm Going to go with d3100's for my secondary batteries. How many of them would be suffice to power the 40.1 @ .5ohm daily and keep my voltage stable? I was running just 1 2400 kinetik and my voltage dropped to low 12's very quickly. Hoping to stay in the 13's at full tilt.

Any update on this OP???

Forgot i made this thread, i went with 2 stinger spp-2150's. The lowest my voltage has dropped full tilt was 12.9v..i'm pretty happy, i think i'm gonna get 1 more just for a little head room.

Sounds like it's holding up to the 40.1 very well. trink40.gif

Forgot i made this thread, i went with 2 stinger spp-2150's. The lowest my voltage has dropped full tilt was 12.9v..i'm pretty happy, i think i'm gonna get 1 more just for a little head room.

nice!!!

I'm no newbie, I've been running this amp for about 2 years. I'm just not familiar with xs batteries. At one time I had 3 kinetik 2400's running it and it did fine. Just thought since xs is "above the rest" I wouldn't have to run so many, that's all.

Just curious, why did you sell your Kinetiks? Not to start any debate, but price aside I don't really know anyone who would honestly put any other batt above kinetik....They take abuse and put masses of power. glad everything is working out with the stingers though.

And for daily driving, AH definitely does matter, AH can give you a damn good idea of how long that battery will be able to put out power. This is one of the instances that Kinetik batts really shine as they have very good AH/amp output ratio's.

This is also why so many ppl can get away with running banks of optima's and deka's and so on, batts that you can find for less money and have good AH but not real high amp output.