Sign in to follow this  
SoundSplinter

First Looks: Revamped RL-i 8" Driver

I presume high frequency extension is still rather limited on these?

c'mon dude? they're subs! you want mids? buy something else :ugh2:

:okasshat:

So, Mike.....I presume high frequency extension is still rather limited on these?

Hmmm...

Well let us know what type of abuse these can handle. I may think about quite a few of them on my 20.1 in the near future.

NG

I shall be hounding you shortly :D:)

Wow...great job. Im thinking one will do fine in my GF's Moms Explorer 0.8cuft @ 30Hz with 200w of power will sound nice... but me thinks me dont have enough port area in the box already built. hmmmm i have about 6sqin of port area, unflared. ill see what WinISD says my velocity will be.

Mounting depth?

5" or 0" if you invert :domoslay:

Doesn't quite work that way with 6.25" total under the rear seat of my truck. Add MDF and ???

fiberglass is your friend.

1" clearance for the surround and 1" for the pole piece is what i reccomend.

You can always mount the sub at an angle for more clearance.

Perhaps I can get 1" around if I put it in at an angle which would give me mostly an 1" for the pole vent too. I need to go get a piece of 8" pvc cut to 5" and play around.

> difference in performance will be between these new 8s and the proto 8s i have on my shelf?

Not too terribly much, save for greater efficiency and what I would consider a sexier look. You got a steal on those proto's, still haven't had the time to decide what to do with the stack of 'em I have yet! :P

> does kinda look like a TC9 motor,3" VC?

Nope, the new RL-i8 features a 2" voicecoil and the TC2+hp motor.

> .....I presume high frequency extension is still rather limited on these?

Yes, it's certainly not a midwoofer - and I would say that crossing over below 100 Hz is ideal. I will take some time with it up to 200 Hz and report back to ya. It's a little hectic 'round these parts so if you don't hear from me by next week just drop me a reminder!

> Mounting depth?

5.65" from the mounting flange to the rear-end, so I would suggest a solid 6" to allow for proper pole ventin'.

> Any words as to price when these become available?

Comin' at ya for $165 a piece single, or $149 a piece when buying two or more. The Dual 4 Ohm units will begin shipping at the end of this week, right after I get the webpages up! Waitlisters will be emailed tomorrow thumbup.gif

Edited by SoundSplinter

5.65" from the mounting flange to the rear-end, so I would suggest a solid 6" to allow for proper pole ventin'.

I can do .35", but it doesn't seem okay. Is it?

Damn. My cousin wanted a rlp 12, and I was thinking of sneaking in a rlp15 for me... I'm tempted to grab 2 new 8's for a work truck install....

A semi with 2 rockin 8's would be so sick....

Damn. My cousin wanted a rlp 12, and I was thinking of sneaking in a rlp15 for me... I'm tempted to grab 2 new 8's for a work truck install....

A semi with 2 rockin 8's would be so sick....

:fing34::fing34:

Nice looking subs mike... I might have to pick a few up, Just to have them.

hey mike, any idea how much volume the driver displaces?

i'm going to try fitting it in a box with internal dimensions 9"x9"x6" = 0.28cu ft. hopefully the driver's volume is under 0.08cu ft.... the sheer size of that motor structure makes me wonder...and drool....

sad thing is that I am already try to get box plan ideas for a sub I have nto even bought yet..

picture19bu.png

me too hehe...

denim, do you like that design program? every one i've used comes up with slightly different port length numbers so i've always done my chit by hand..

me too hehe...

denim, do you like that design program?  every one i've used comes up with slightly different port length numbers so i've always done my chit by hand..

I personally have never built anything from it, just use it to get ideas really