Sign in to follow this  
SoundSplinter

First Looks: Revamped RL-i 8" Driver

I think this little beast is screaming for a TL box,

it has the specs of the reccomended TL sub

sad thing is that I am already try to get box plan ideas for a sub I have nto even bought yet..

picture19bu.png

99" port, are you compensating?

low tuning and shallow box will do that

sad thing is that I am already try to get box plan ideas for a sub I have nto even bought yet..

picture19bu.png

wow, that port is freakin long

mmmmm??? a few hours and some mdf have left me a few centimeters from joy? just cant get the box small enough to leave enough room to work pedals safely and big enough to accomadate 'that' magnet? im gonna sleep on it, i usually think of something? but as for now no review? just a real weird looking box thats slightly too big.

> .....I presume high frequency extension is still rather limited on these?

Yes, it's certainly not a midwoofer - and I would say that crossing over below 100 Hz is ideal.  I will take some time with it up to 200 Hz and report back to ya.  It's a little hectic 'round these parts so if you don't hear from me by next week just drop me a reminder!

Any thoughts/plans of building one with a little higher extension? I remember there being some either TC2+ or TC2 8's floating around a while ago that had decent extension....up to around 500hz or so.

> .....I presume high frequency extension is still rather limited on these?

Yes, it's certainly not a midwoofer - and I would say that crossing over below 100 Hz is ideal.  I will take some time with it up to 200 Hz and report back to ya.  It's a little hectic 'round these parts so if you don't hear from me by next week just drop me a reminder!

Any thoughts/plans of building one with a little higher extension? I remember there being some either TC2+ or TC2 8's floating around a while ago that had decent extension....up to around 500hz or so.

That would make me redo everything!

If someone makes a TL for one then im stealing the plans.

Denim, flakko used that program for the eu700's he had. The enclosure sounded like poop. It didnt even sound ported.

Maybe true, but his port length is about right. When I read it first I had to go back and model up a box, I used a slightly smaller box (per Mike's rec'd on the web) and had a slightly longer port ~106" so it should be right. One heck of a box tho.

Maybe true, but his port length is about right.  When I read it first I had to go back and model up a box, I used a slightly smaller box (per Mike's rec'd on the web) and had a slightly longer port ~106" so it should be right.  One heck of a box tho.

Tell me about it, the one I mocked up for two is like 95% port. :)

Denim, flakko used that program for the eu700's he had. The enclosure sounded like poop. It didnt even sound ported.

I dont use it to build, I use it to get a rough idea, I would love a large folded horn for this beast,

I heard a HT with a pair of 8s in a folded horn (could have been TL not sure) that with my eyes closed had the presence of 12's,

I have no idea where I could put the RL-i, I just want one, err um maybe 8 in a bass race box :domoslay:

Maybe true, but his port length is about right.  When I read it first I had to go back and model up a box, I used a slightly smaller box (per Mike's rec'd on the web) and had a slightly longer port ~106" so it should be right.  One heck of a box tho.

is it the motor specs? or the low tuning that is causeing such a long port? (maybe both?)

I'm kind of headed that direction. I want try em out in the WO. I haven't given much thought to the TL as I don' think I can squeeze it in without some reconstructive surgery. :)

Edited by ramos

Oh man, These are coming out just in time for my new MR2's install! F*ck YESSSAH!

I wonder how long the wait list will be when I finally place my order : (

I dont use it to build, I use it to get a rough idea, I would love a large folded horn for this beast,

I heard a HT with a pair of 8s in a folded horn (could have been TL not sure) that with my eyes closed had the presence of 12's,

I have no idea where I could put the RL-i, I just want one, err um maybe 8 in a bass race box :domoslay:

i know, i was just telling everyone that it doesnt exactly work that well..

is it the motor specs? or the low tuning that is causeing such a long port? (maybe both?)

Small box + Low tuning = One long-azz port

yep, i only have a .6ft^3 and my ports need to be 20" long to just get 36hz.

thw ports dont fit inside :(

If I can get the sub to fit in my truck, I am going to have the port run completely out of the box under the rear seat. One long PVC tube, that way I can tell everyone I have a pipe organ in my truck.

wonder how much the response will be effected if the enclsoure was pushed upto 1.0 cubes and kept the tuning low...

Sound splinter listed enclosurfe specs on the 1st page.

With enough power this thing should do great in a HT application.

Thats depending on the room size though....

Indeed, I'm running a 0.7 cu ft selaed box on the new 8, powered with around 500 watts (and up to 1200 watts in limited fashion just for kicks), and she is quite beastly even in the sealed box. It surely doesn't get as loud on the low end as my 3.5 cu ft @ 25 Hz RL-p15 box, but its got enough muscle to be adequate for a small home theater. A proper vented box will be built this coming week for my living room and so I'll be sure to let you know what I think about that when the time comes. yesnod.gif

As for upper frequency extension on these drivers, they are performing quite capably up to 200 Hz (considerably better than the older RL-i8 to be sure). Unfortunately, my NAD a/v receiver has a madatory 200 Hz cutoff on the sub output, so until I do some tweakin' with my wires (or take a trip to the build house) I'm not going to be able to test it any higher than that. Hrmm.. unless I throw it in my car! Maybe I'll do that this week too if I can find the time grin2.gif

All in all, I am exceptionally pleased with this one helluva 8" driver drool.gif