shadowm891

help setting amp

Well i got my custom vented box built at 2 cubic feet tune at 35Hz. Now i need help setting the settings on my amp for my single 2ohm dvc sa-12. Any ideal what i need to set my lpf and subsonic filter to.

i usually set mine around 100hz.

LPF depends on your preference, SSF should be about 3-5hz below enclosure tuning.

If you want your sub playing up to 100hz, sure.

currently I have my LPF set at 80hz.

are you running any components in your car if so what are those crossed at?

What does your front stage consist of?

Setting the LPF is preference based, but that's also because it's dependent on what speakers it's mating with.

For example let's say your front stage consists of a pair of 5 1/4" component set speakers with lack-lustering midbass, then perhaps setting the LPF to 100hz may be a good starting point.

Or your front stage consists of some bigger size speakers that have no problems playing midbass with some punch, then perhaps you should set the LPF lower.

The door speakers are 4" kicker speakers running on a 4 channel. And a pair of jbl tweeters on dash running on the 4 channel amp with a pair of pioneer 5.25 speakers in the back running off my deck which is a eclipse cd5030

I think I would set the lpf around 100 since you are likely not getting much output in the lower range. I would do some testing at a few different points but somewhere near 100 is probably a good starting point.

K thanks

i set my LPF to about 80hz and my subsonics set a little above tuning. I am tuned at 33hz my ssf is set at about 35 or so

what does ssf do? besides less output? sry for the thread jack

it stops lower frequency's from getting to you sub...so if you set it to 30htz it wont play below 30htz

LPF depends on your preference, SSF should be about 3-5hz below enclosure tuning.

There's a big problem with that. The SSF frequency will be generally be at somewhere around -3 dB to -6 dB depending on the type of crossover design used. If you have a -12 dB/octave LR SSF and you're setting it to 32 Hz, you're starting to drop power at around 43 Hz since it'll be -6 dB (or half voltage) at 32 Hz.

Maybe if you have a very steep butterworth crossover (i.e. -24 dB/octave), but even still, you'll start dropping power at 34 Hz (and your sub BARELY moves near tuning).

What amplifier does the OP have ?

The door speakers are 4" kicker speakers running on a 4 channel. And a pair of jbl tweeters on dash running on the 4 channel amp with a pair of pioneer 5.25 speakers in the back running off my deck which is a eclipse cd5030

Not exactly an ideal situation. 4" speakers in general will not have much output in the lower octaves and with your 5.25s in the back (and, odds are, not a whole lot better), a possible fix for this situation would be to have a set of dedicated midbass drivers set up in the kick panels.

I'm not sure what your fiberglassing skill or budget is, however, as it would add a significant amount of cost to the setup if you need someone to do the glassing for you.

what does ssf do? besides less output? sry for the thread jack

it stops lower frequency's from getting to you sub...so if you set it to 30htz it wont play below 30htz

To add to what Jmac said.....a SSF is nothing more than a highpass crossover with a very low crossover frequency. It abides by all of the standard rules for crossovers. Which means it doesn't "stop" anything. It simply attenuates frequencies at an increasing rate (the slope) below a certain frequency determined by the crossover frequency (which is the -3db or -6db point of the signal depending on the type of crossover/SSF). If the SSF is set to 30hz, the driver will still play frequencies below 30hz but they will be attenuated in level.

Where the SSF needs set really has more to do with the driver, enclosure, music selections and power than it does the arbitrary 3-5hz below tuning figure typically given as an answer. Though I understand why some companies suggest that.....to keep their return rate lower due to unknowledgeable customers setting the SSF too low instead of more conservatively and blowing things up constantly. Plug your driver, enclosure and power into any program which will graph cone excursion and look at excursion of the driver. WinISD would even allow you to graph the response and excursion with a given filter applied.....that will tell you a lot about what's going on.

^^ i like it to play at low frequency's!! so not bothering with that ssf! thanks guys and what ever happen to the OP?

^^ i like it to play at low frequency's!! so not bothering with that ssf! thanks guys and what ever happen to the OP?

He went away because you jacked his thread.

He went away because you jacked his thread.

:roflmao: