HawkEye

Would I Need A High Ouput Alternator?

Hey all.Things have changed recently so im not going to be able to do the big system I wanted.I was wondering if I were to buy 2 12" SSA Icons and power them with a AQ 2200,would I need a HO Alternator?I was planning on also buying a Kinetik HC 1800 for a extra battery in the back and a Kinetik HC 800 for under the hood.Im not 100% sure how big my stock alt is but im prety sure its between 100-125 amps.Any info or advice would be much appreciated.Thanks.

How long do you listen to your system full tilt? In short, yes.

I run nearly 4k on my stock alt.. however it's a stock 190 amp and I'm running two dekas in the rear. I trickle charge them every week or every other week.

I run nearly 4k on my stock alt.. however it's a stock 190 amp and I'm running two dekas in the rear. I trickle charge them every week or every other week.

I used to do the same on a stock 180amp alternator. It would last about 10-15 minutes before voltage would start dropping.

Is an hc800 the largest you can fit under the hood?

Unless you have restrictions in the back, there no real use for a larger battery in the front, I'd put a larger batter in back.

Many of my friends with big systems don't even run front batterys.. lol

Even with my 2 dekas I can start my car without a front batter lol

Is an hc800 the largest you can fit under the hood?

Unless you have restrictions in the back, there no real use for a larger battery in the front, I'd put a larger batter in back.

Many of my friends with big systems don't even run front batterys.. lol

Even with my 2 dekas I can start my car without a front batter lol

Yeah I know. I wouldnt even bother replacing then unless its bad and unchargeable.

I would only listen to it full tilt for like 4 mins or enough for 1 song and when I do I would be driving so my rpms would be up.When I do a demo for a friend or whatever I would make sure that I also have my rpms up.I could fit a bigger battery in the back so I should just do that instead of putting one under the hood?

My brother runs a SAZ3000D and a 2 channel off a stock battery under the hood and a Kinetic 1400 in the back in the spare tire well in his Caliber. He stays in the 13s on music at idle, but we did install a 230 amp DC Power alt. too. How much are you looking/willing to spend on electrical upgrades?

I would only listen to it full tilt for like 4 mins or enough for 1 song and when I do I would be driving so my rpms would be up.When I do a demo for a friend or whatever I would make sure that I also have my rpms up.I could fit a bigger battery in the back so I should just do that instead of putting one under the hood?

yes put a bigger batt in the back, dont even worry about your front battery... get a xs D3100 for the back :)

and i think you'd be fine with the stock alternator... but it wouldnt hurt to upgrade ;)

I would put a khc1400 up front and a khc 2000 in back and go with a 200 amp or more alternator. If the alternator cant keep up the battery will discharge and it can not maintain itself. When a battery gets left low for too long it becomes harder to recharge and an alternator IS NOT a battery charger.

Really depends on your goals. If you install an extra battery and monitor your voltage to make sure it doesn't fall deadly low you will be ok. If you only plan on listening to music for short periods of time and driving with your setup off a lot, you don't need to upgrade the alt. Basically it comes down to how much you want to spend. Sometimes installing an aftermarket alternator instead of another battery has advantages.

It really all depends on what you are willing to spend. The big three, adding batteries front and back, and adding a high output alternator will provide major benifits to your electrical system overall. I reccommend changing everything. However, you could get by with a big battery in the back and keeping your Rpms up.

Keep in mind, in some cases, a h/o alternator could be a cheaper solution than a medium-large battery bank :shrug:

ALRIGHT!!!!! :woot:

My big system plans are back!After talking with the parents,they gave me the ok for the system ive been wanting.Here is what it will consist of.Let me know what you guys think of it.

Subs = 2 12" SSA ZCONS

Sub Box = Made by either DC Creations or Alerion Customs

Sub Amp = 1 DC 5K

Alternator = 250AMP Singer Alternator

Wiring = All 1/0 guage wire.2 Runs from front to back battery + big 3

Batteries = 2 (Maybe 3?) XS Power D3100 In Back

I do have a few questions.What is the advantage of having 2 runs of 1/0 guage going from the front to the rear battery?Ive only ever used 1 run but the biggest amp ive had is a AQ3500D.1 and I read on DC's site that I need 2 runs.Could I get by with 1?

Would 2 XS D3100's be enough for the 5K?

What should I have my box tuned to?I would only listen to rap and stuff with alot of bass and I do plan on competing this summer.I usually tune to 33hz but isn't that a little low of a tuning for competing?

My last question is simple.Would it be possible for me to hit 150db?My car is a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.I very much appreciate it as im still trying to learn this car audio thing lol.

150 is a pretty high aim but possible. find a forum for you car and look on there i think its called vehicle resignation? or some thing like that. the tuning verys from car to car correct me if im wrong. tuning you box the the resignation (or what ever the word is) of your car will help in competing. i may be wrong because im still learning also.

I would recommend 2/0 wire or two runs of 1/0 wire. A 1/0 wire is capable of tranfering roughly 250 amps @12 volt for about 12 feet, any longer and the wire will become the limiting factor on how much power you can transfer. Here is a chart as a guideline. When in doubt, run bigger.

Don't forget to do the big3 also.

wire_sizing_chart2_titled_filled.jpg

Also, you can purchase 2/0 wire for cheaper than two runs of 1/0, if you havent already bought wire. Here is a good online source for wire.

https://weldingsuppl...F:OR:terms::PA2

150 is a pretty high aim but possible. find a forum for you car and look on there i think its called vehicle resignation? or some thing like that. the tuning verys from car to car correct me if im wrong. tuning you box the the resignation (or what ever the word is) of your car will help in competing. i may be wrong because im still learning also.

I think you're talking about the vehicle's resonant frequency. :ughdunno: