Sign in to follow this  
bassahaulic

Just had my internet service suspended by Cox

I forgot to take screen shots of all this so I don't even think I should post this. lol

But anyway, yesterday morning when I woke up, the internet wasn't working. I didn't know why, tried the usual stuff and nothing worked. I figured it was just another outage, as it happened a few weeks back.

So I waited until today to really start trouble shooting. I called Cox asked about an outage, they said there wasn't one and that the issue was in my computer as their computers said my connection was fine. I said ok I'll figure it out. I ran a few tests and some diagnostic stuff, came up with my DNS not responding. I was like WTF Cox. So I tried changing a few hundred settings and still nothing. Last resort was re-running the router setup program, so that's what I did. Had to download it to my phone, then transfer to computer as my computer had no internet.

I ran the program, it said it was all done and connected. But nothing could connect. So I tried going to the Cox site, it popped up with a page saying my internet access had been suspended due to copywriten material being on my computer. It said I had to remove the material, which was a single movie I downloaded over a year ago using a different service provider, and had to turn off all peer-to-peer sharing software, which I keep turned off 96% the time anyway.

So I deleted the movie, and click the button that said "Click here after you have removed material and turned off software to re-activate your internet". So I did, and my internet is now back on.

And I am currently installing a copy of LSU's firewall protection software, I DARE then to try to look on here again.

I forgot to take screen shots of all this so I don't even think I should post this. lol

But anyway, yesterday morning when I woke up, the internet wasn't working. I didn't know why, tried the usual stuff and nothing worked. I figured it was just another outage, as it happened a few weeks back.

So I waited until today to really start trouble shooting. I called Cox asked about an outage, they said there wasn't one and that the issue was in my computer as their computers said my connection was fine. I said ok I'll figure it out. I ran a few tests and some diagnostic stuff, came up with my DNS not responding. I was like WTF Cox. So I tried changing a few hundred settings and still nothing. Last resort was re-running the router setup program, so that's what I did. Had to download it to my phone, then transfer to computer as my computer had no internet.

I ran the program, it said it was all done and connected. But nothing could connect. So I tried going to the Cox site, it popped up with a page saying my internet access had been suspended due to copywriten material being on my computer. It said I had to remove the material, which was a single movie I downloaded over a year ago using a different service provider, and had to turn off all peer-to-peer sharing software, which I keep turned off 96% the time anyway.

So I deleted the movie, and click the button that said "Click here after you have removed material and turned off software to re-activate your internet". So I did, and my internet is now back on.

And I am currently installing a copy of LSU's firewall protection software, I DARE then to try to look on here again.

Is LSU's firewall protection software anti-cox monitoring or something? Because if Cox is your ISP, then there's no way of hiding w/e it is your doing no matter what program you are using. Only alternative you can do is a) stop or b) use other softwar applications besides an firewall protection (lol) that will only deter your ISP from monitoring your activity.

Is LSU's firewall protection software anti-cox monitoring or something? Because if Cox is your ISP, then there's no way of hiding w/e it is your doing no matter what program you are using. Only alternative you can do is a) stop or b) use other softwar applications besides an firewall protection (lol) that will only deter your ISP from monitoring your activity.

With LSU's software, no one from outside my computer can even see the name of it without my permission. I'll be using other ways to get music in the mean time as to I can cancel Cox.

With LSU's software, no one from outside my computer can even see the name of it without my permission. I'll be using other ways to get music in the mean time as to I can cancel Cox.

Just out of curiousity, I'm not picking on you or nothing, but how sure of you about them unable to monitor your activity? Are you on campus or rent a local apt? And who is LSU' ISP?

So why is Cox snooping around your hard-drive? I'm pretty sure that's not legal. Unless you downloaded it recently, through Cox, they should not have any knowledge of what you have on your computer.

How does LSU's setup work?

The only way your isp can't view what your downloading is if your using an encrypted vpn service.

The only way your isp can't view what your downloading is if your using an encrypted vpn service.

This

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. My friend works for the LSU Tech department and just brought it over for me to install. I'll make sure to ask him.

So why is Cox snooping around your hard-drive? I'm pretty sure that's not legal. Unless you downloaded it recently, through Cox, they should not have any knowledge of what you have on your computer.

You would be suprise to whats legal and whats not. If your suspected to be an terrorist, then govt law has the right to do has they please. You know how if you began to swerve, a cop may pull you over under "suspecian", same principal here, if they suspect him to be doing anything illegal, and he's on their network, it doesn't matter when or what happened at w/e time.

Well he already said he downloaded it over a year ago through a different ISP. Meaning, Cox infiltrated his hard-drive and illegally obtained the information. I would confront them about that.

dbl post fail

Edited by Sencheezy

You would be suprise to whats legal and whats not. If your suspected to be an terrorist, then govt law has the right to do has they please. You know how if you began to swerve, a cop may pull you over under "suspicion", same principal here, if they suspect him to be doing anything illegal, and he's on their network, it doesn't matter when or what happened at w/e time.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. My friend works for the LSU Tech department and just brought it over for me to install. I'll make sure to ask him.

Worst comes to worst, you could get a vpn service plan, but it may hinder your super fast download speeds.

You would be suprise to whats legal and whats not. If your suspected to be an terrorist, then govt law has the right to do has they please. You know how if you began to swerve, a cop may pull you over under "suspecian", same principal here, if they suspect him to be doing anything illegal, and he's on their network, it doesn't matter when or what happened at w/e time.

I doubt they suspect he is a terrorist. Also, if he hasn't done anything shady on their network they don't have any reason to go snooping around. Even then they can't just go breaking into your hard-drive. It would be like if the police entered your home without a warrant, whatever they find they can't use in court.

Friend of mine, who worked for Cox installing their Fiber optic lines, says that AT&T and Cox share a lot of equipment, so anything downloaded on one network, the other knows about.

I doubt they suspect he is a terrorist. Also, if he hasn't done anything shady on their network they don't have any reason to go snooping around. Even then they can't just go breaking into your hard-drive. It would be like if the police entered your home without a warrant, whatever they find they can't use in court.

lol I was using terrorist as an example. And the OP didn't give us any other information besides downloading a movie last year. For all we know, they went snooping because he could have unlocked his modem which in turn would explain his speed plus the investigation. And to your example, it happens all the time, simply because there are always "exemptions"

Friend of mine, who worked for Cox installing their Fiber optic lines, says that AT&T and Cox share a lot of equipment, so anything downloaded on one network, the other knows about.

Then they didn't necessarily access your harddrive (which could only be done if you installed some software) or do anything illegal, sometimes when shit is filed, it takes a long time to come around.

^More pointed towards Inkfx.

I still don't like the fact that they monitor what files you have and don't have on YOUR hard-drive. Something to me is not right about that. Especially since it requires hacking techniques.

Well its not only equipment, they share lines as well. If you really think about it, Everybody shares the damn lines at one point in time right? Well, just about. Most lines ran to houses and apts are distriputed from a local box. which At&T just about owns every one around here lol

I still don't like the fact that they monitor what files you have and don't have on YOUR hard-drive. Something to me is not right about that. Especially since it requires hacking techniques.

They are able to view all the data you send and receive, unless you use a vpn.

If they are accessing your harddrive, they are doing it legally by having you install software with a ToS.

Research "DCIM" law

MPAA and RIAA are the industries that protect the ISP's and movie companies.

If it was just a movie sitting in a folder somewhere he didn't send and receive anything. I'm just going by what he said in that OP about the file being from a different ISP.

Research "DCIM" law

MPAA and RIAA are the industries that protect the ISP's and movie companies.

Right, but it's still illegal to hack no matter who you are.

I guess at the end of the day we don't have enough information about what's going on. Until then it's a lot of assumptions and you know what they say about that word.