Scooby

Dcon 10" OMG

Picked up a Dcon D4 for a really good price to throw into my little .6 sealed box. Wasn't expecting much,WELL I was wrong. I turned it up and it started to make my ears hurt and set off the neighbors alarm.Now I haven't adjusted the gain,etc,just wanted to make sure everything was working.Look like I have some fun ahead.

I do have a question...Should I run it with 450rms or the full 600rms. I have been told that 600rms is no problem?

Awesome! I'd stick with 450.

No real advantage to throw double rms on it for a daily install.

No real advantage to throw double rms on it for a daily install.

Exactly! You will love it at 450 though. Best driver you can buy at the price in my opinion.

Picked up a Dcon D4 for a really good price to throw into my little .6 sealed box. Wasn't expecting much,WELL I was wrong. I turned it up and it started to make my ears hurt and set off the neighbors alarm.Now I haven't adjusted the gain,etc,just wanted to make sure everything was working.Look like I have some fun ahead.

I do have a question...Should I run it with 450rms or the full 600rms. I have been told that 600rms is no problem?

Told ya so.... LOL ( Your sub recommendation page, posts #4 and #8 :drink40:)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! I'm sure you agree the word needs to be spread about these subs. So many people overlook them just because they're on the lower end of the scale of power handling. Not only do they get louder than one would expect, but they sound absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best subs that can be picked up for their price IMHO. My sister's 12" DCON just blows away everyone who listens to it. I agree with the others 450wrms will be plenty for it like Aaron said, there's just no need to run double rms to it for a daily setup.

Now, just wait until it gets a little more broken in. It will play a little deeper, a little louder yet, and sound just as amazing.

The driver is rated for 300 watts. While it may be able to handle more, be very careful. If something goes wrong, it's your fault. Thermal and mechanical damage is easily determined and not covered under warranty.

Thanks guys. My Alpine does 450 @ 4ohms and 600rms @ 2ohms. I don't think I can get a 4ohm load withe the D4. I do have a buddy who has a few amps that he may willing to sell/trade to get one to get the right wattage.If not,I'll hit the classifieds. I can only imagine how it will sound after I get everything setup. If you guys have any recommendations on an amp,let me know.

Edited by Scooby

Told ya so.... LOL ( Your sub recommendation page, posts #4 and #8 :drink40:)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!! I'm sure you agree the word needs to be spread about these subs. So many people overlook them just because they're on the lower end of the scale of power handling. Not only do they get louder than one would expect, but they sound absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best subs that can be picked up for their price IMHO. My sister's 12" DCON just blows away everyone who listens to it. I agree with the others 450wrms will be plenty for it like Aaron said, there's just no need to run double rms to it for a daily setup.

Now, just wait until it gets a little more broken in. It will play a little deeper, a little louder yet, and sound just as amazing.

Wow, we should hire you to do promotions. ;)

To me, the high performance per dollar and still made here in the USA is sweet!

Thanks guys. My Alpine does 450 @ 4ohms and 600rms @ 2ohms. I don't think I can get a 4ohm load withe the D4. I do have a buddy who has a few amps that he may willing to sell/trade to get one to get the right wattage.If not,I'll hit the classifieds. I can only imagine how it will sound after I get everything setup. If you guys have any recommendations on an amp,let me know.

You could always run it at 8 ohms mono if you liked that amp and did not want to stress the driver. But if you have some other options that fit the wiring and power level of the Dcon then see what he has.

Wow, we should hire you to do promotions. ;)

LOL, thanks, and why do you think I asked you guys to send me some flyers? I'm workin' hard to get the SSA name out around here!!!

Didn't think of running it at 8 ohms.Anyway to tell if the amp will do 8 ohms? How much power would I be losing?

The amp will be fine at 8 ohms, won't hurt a thing, but it's hard to say for sure how much power you'll lose.

The amp only gain's 1/3 it's 4 ohm rated output at 2 ohms. One could hope that doubling to 8 would have the same affect for 300wrms, but it could be as low as half the 4 ohm rating which would be ~225wrms.

I say just hook it up at 8 ohms and see what ya get.

keep it at 2 ohms and just back off the amp gain a bit or set it with a dmm. if the amp is rated @ 650W it doesn't necessarily mean need to set it at full power.

Edited by anthony.w

It's even more impressive given the fact it's cheaper or the same price as that of the competition being made in china or with chinese parts.

I also like the fact its made in the USA. I usually set the gain with a dmm.Ill get some pics when I can,work is taking all my time at the moment.

Didn't get a chance to play with it tonight and won't get to tomorrow either. Work is hectic right now. Should be able to get things sorted out and permanently installed Monday.

keep it at 2 ohms and just back off the amp gain a bit or set it with a dmm. if the amp is rated @ 650W it doesn't necessarily mean need to set it at full power.

:fing34:

Yeah man the dcon is an awesome sub. I had a 10" dcon d4 as well. I overpowered it and blew a rip in it (rip was from previous owner, ghetto fix) so I put some amazing goop and duct tape to fix the rip. It works great now! I have it installed in my uncle's 4runner. Running about 250 watts of clean power. By far best sub in the wattage range ive ever heard.

Yeah man the dcon is an awesome sub. I had a 10" dcon d4 as well. I overpowered it and blew a rip in it (rip was from previous owner, ghetto fix) so I put some amazing goop and duct tape to fix the rip. It works great now! I have it installed in my uncle's 4runner. Running about 250 watts of clean power. By far best sub in the wattage range ive ever heard.

Lol how much more ghetto can it be then "amazing goop and duct tape"?! :ughdunno:

But hey whatever works lol

Lol how much more ghetto can it be then "amazing goop and duct tape"?! :ughdunno:

But hey whatever works lol

Lol that was the point.

Got to play with the sub a little today. I still have to mount the amp after I get the rack for it finished. I was playing a couple songs and it sounded loose(if that makes sense).Not sure if it's a setting on my radio or not.Kinda reminds me of a sub out of phase,but it's not. It did sound better on different songs though.Maybe it just needs to be broke in more? The box has some poly fill and I'm not sure if that is making that big of a difference. Should I take it out? My buddy did come over with his setup that is basically the same as mine,except he is running an Infinity sub in his box. He wasn't so proud of his setup after he heard the Dcon. :roflmao: Going to finish everything tomorrow.

Edited by Scooby

Got to play with the sub a little today. I still have to mount the amp after I get the rack for it finished. I was playing a couple songs and it sounded loose(if that makes sense).Not sure if it's a setting on my radio or not.Kinda reminds me of a sub out of phase,but it's not. It did sound better on different songs though.Maybe it just needs to be broke in more? The box has some poly fill and I'm not sure if that is making that big of a difference. Should I take it out? My buddy did come over with his setup that is basically the same as mine,except he is running an Infinity sub in his box. He wasn't so proud of his setup after he heard the Dcon. :roflmao: Going to finish everything tomorrow.

LOL, that's funny, and kewl.

Your problem could very easily be an air leak, and not necessarily a seam on the box. I've seen quite a few times where the carpet around the sub mounting hole allows air to leak. Though most air leaks are accompanied with some sort of noise, they don't have to make any to leak. Terminals can also leak, but no matter what it is, a leak has my first suspicion as the cause.

LOL, that's funny, and kewl.

Your problem could very easily be an air leak, and not necessarily a seam on the box. I've seen quite a few times where the carpet around the sub mounting hole allows air to leak. Though most air leaks are accompanied with some sort of noise, they don't have to make any to leak. Terminals can also leak, but no matter what it is, a leak has my first suspicion as the cause.

Didn't think of an air leak. I'll look into that tomorrow. But still,it sounds excellent.