dbsupra

Building a new box this weekend!

I'm starting a box for my new 12 this weekend. Using a 6" aero for this one. Most of my boxes in the past have been sealed or slot port.

Was shooting for 1.75cf3 after displacements and a tune in the low 30's. I'm limited in depth (~14") but had plenty of width (~56"). I came up with this design. It's long and shallow, similar to a truck box I built a long time ago albeit smaller.

Concerns: The length to height/depth ratio. Would it matter?

The distance between the sub and port inlet. It is currently ~4" from port to the closest edge of the sub tuned at 30hz. I can move it in more, each 2" decrease in length equates to about 1hz. Just concerned about unloading. Maybe it would be better to tune a bit higher to get more distance. I don't know that changing from 30hz to 32hz would be that noticeable and would gain me another 4" distance.

Thanks for the help!

Here is a pic of the box. Be easy, I've been using sketchup for 30 min

X-box.jpg

You MIGHT have a problem with "cancellation" because the port and sub are so far apart. You might want to look into a T-line box. There is software that can model this type of setup, but it is not free. WinISD will be off.

You have far to much port area. Try using a single 4" port, you will have much better results.

You MIGHT have a problem with "cancellation" because the port and sub are so far apart. You might want to look into a T-line box. There is software that can model this type of setup, but it is not free. WinISD will be off.

What makes you say that..

Tuning low, I would use 4" pvc instead of 6 and position the port lower to the bottom of the enclosure ... I'm not much on calculations, but that's just how I've seen them in most single cab trucks ...

Just a suggestion bro ...

They are low in regular cab trucks because in most cases there is just no other place for them.

I where designing this enclosure I would consider the application and do some figuring on how the enclosure will work with in the vehicle. That should show you the best sub/port placement as well as correct tuning.

I've also seen the 2" pvc ports ... Sub in the center, with one port on each side of the enclosure ...

Thanks for the replies.

This sub is a prototype and has a lot of xmax. According to calculations I needed 28sqin port area. A 6" aero was right at that.

The box wasnt deep enough to place the sub in front of the port. A slot port took up too much airspace.

I played around with 2 3" ports but couldnt get it to work right and not enough port area according to calculations. This sub has over 20mm linear. Its one Jacob cooked up a while back.

Thanks for the replies.

This sub is a prototype and has a lot of xmax. According to calculations I needed 28sqin port area. A 6" aero was right at that.

The box wasnt deep enough to place the sub in front of the port. A slot port took up too much airspace.

I played around with 2 3" ports but couldnt get it to work right and not enough port area according to calculations. This sub has over 20mm linear. Its one Jacob cooked up a while back.

I'm not sure what calculations you are using but you won't like the results of a 6" port.

I hope the best for you and that is right. Trial and error will reward you with what your looking for.