Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

SA-8 v.2 SPL Dual-1 Testing

I made a Dual-1 8-layer aluminum SPL coil unit for Sean with an extra spider... FS was 59Hz after some break-in so NOT good for a daily application. Due to the new ultra linear spider we have to get the FS starting out closer to the burp frequency as we lack the shift in CMS that causes FS rise with a less linear spider.

Best score to date of 152.4 "outlaw" style with 3kw clamped power -- the most we've ever put to an SA-8 to date. The sub was really only at about 1/2-2/3 stroke as well -- where the old SA-8s were hitting the triple joint on the top plate before this point.

We are very pleased as Sean's car mysteriously lost around 2dB a while back and we've had to come up with other things to gain that back... and now we've actually topped the old score without ever fixing whatever the mystery problem is (as we still don't know).

Just for good measure we also plan to test with two spiders (standard) and the SPL coil to see if we really needed the extra spider. We also plan to try adding more power since we have more stroke left.

I just put an SA-8v.1 in my car and was very impressed, this is just mental :fing34:

Impressive! Glad to see the mysterious missing db's reappeared!

They haven't reappeared.

This is just a score that is better then the previous because of changes, they haven't found the missing db's :P

They haven't reappeared.

This is just a score that is better then the previous because of changes, they haven't found the missing db's :P

:lol: I know.

I am extremely pleased...

We went from 152.5 to 153.3 changing from a 3500D to a 4500D -- this is essentially the most possible gain we could have had changing amps.

The 4500D is about 33% more powerful which in a perfect world would be just 1 dB gain... the fact that we gained 0.8 dB in reality on ONE EIGHT INCH woofer at this much power tells me just how much more we could still have in this woofer as it's just barely hitting any output compression vs. theory even still.

Also... we did do a dash score -- 6 Hz lower at 62 Hz :

149.9 dB

With a fresh charge it should be over 150 dB but we did so much testing yesterday that was all we got :)

It's over 150 dB on the dash now with the 3 spider woofer (which is quieter) due to some changes in the setup. Need to build another 2 spider woofer as we damaged the first one (4000+ watt burps on an eight can do that).

More details later on ;)

That is quite impressive!!! Waiting to see more!

:popcorn:

Nice score!

Sign in to follow this