clab333

Quality or quantity

I think the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. That bein said would it be wiser to get a better quality 10" sub or a lesser quality 15" sub? Or is that just a favor of difference in a punchy 10 or versatile 15?

I would always say the Quality product over the bargain basement one. Also with todays technology integrated into the subs, a 10 can produce just as much "versatile" bass as you call it as the 15. But do some more research and make sure to make an informed decision so you wont have buyers remorse, or worse yet have to buy the same product again after failure.

As versatile I mean like pick up those low bass notes and keep up with the higher ones

Quality over quantity all day imo!

It would help if you defined your goals!

Lot's of choices from the vendors here on SSA.

SSA - DCON, ICON

Fi - Q

AA - Havoc

IA - Flatlyne

What kind of power are you planning on running to the sub?

Whatever need be really. Right now I have a 1200d mono hifonics and bouta get my sundown 1200d mono repaired. But I can always get an amp to match the sub.

With that kind of power the Fi - SSD 10" would be a great choice. The Sundown SA-10 is another option.

I like the ssd, would I be more suited with a 10 or 15? I listen to rap mostly, but other stuff here and there and I want sq mainly.

I like the ssd, would I be more suited with a 10 or 15? I listen to rap mostly, but other stuff here and there and I want sq mainly.

Go with the the 15"!

I agree with the comments above. Your money is better spent on a good quality sub right off the bat. Also, just because there's 1200 watts on tap doesn't mean you need to use that much power to get great output. You can pick up an SSA DCON 10 for $115 with a single 4 ohm coil and it will do you very well on output while sounding great. Plus it will be easier on the amp and your electrical system. A 10" Fi SSD would be a great choice as well except for the fact that when shipping gets added it will be a little over your $200 budget but well worth every penny.

If I had the choice of a DCON 10" or a DCON 15"

Obviously I'd pick the 15", more cone area and in the proper box can sound just as good.

It entirely depends on what drivers you are actually considering. If you are able to find a 15" driver within your budget that meets your performance, space and build quality objectives, I would choose the higher displacement potential of the 15" driver 100% of the time.

Also, there's nothing more "punchy" about a 10" driver.

It entirely depends on what drivers you are actually considering. If you are able to find a 15" driver within your budget that meets your performance, space and build quality objectives, I would choose the higher displacement potential of the 15" driver 100% of the time.

Yes huh. It's smaller and it moves faster, duh. The 15s are low and slow and pound out the mad lows.

Yes huh. It's smaller and it moves faster, duh. The 15s are low and slow and pound out the mad lows.

Be nice Mr. Tirefryr.

OP, like others have said, I would chose build quality over quanity. The main reason is because I have taken the cheaper route before with less impressive outcome. Long story short, if I had waited one more moth, a week, or w/e the case may be so I can afford the higher quality sub, or for anything in life really, you don't wasted money, you have no regret, and your confidence builds in your decision making skills. You achieve the gratitude of making a wise decision as a person, as long as your results meets your need.

There is no replacement for displacement .

I think the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. That bein said would it be wiser to get a better quality 10" sub or a lesser quality 15" sub? Or is that just a favor of difference in a punchy 10 or versatile 15?

As versatile I mean like pick up those low bass notes and keep up with the higher ones

It'll be a daily setup in my altimas trunk. Goin for sq over spl.

What 10" would you recommend for sq in the 200 dollar range?

Whatever need be really. Right now I have a 1200d mono hifonics and bouta get my sundown 1200d mono repaired. But I can always get an amp to match the sub.

It really depends on how much space you're willing to dedicate then.

A 15" will typically (not always, but typically) require a larger enclosure than a 10" subwoofer. If you're looking for punchy bass, you're likely going to be best off with a sealed enclosure that's on the small side of the design parameters or a ported enclosure that has a decent output in the upper-double digits.

A sealed enclosure will offer better transient response (not a big deal with rap, so don't worry about it), but going on the small side will sacrifice low-frequency output and overall output will be lacking compared to a ported enclosure.

A ported enclosure will require more planning during the design process as you'll need a port large enough that it won't generate port noise and a larger port will require a larger enclosure to attain the same tuning. The downside is that increasing the size of the enclosure will increase the output at low frequencies and decrease the peak in the higher frequencies, which will reduce the "punchiness" of the system, so you'll need to find the correct balance to suit your tastes.

It also depends on what subs you're comparing as you may be comparing a low Xmax 15" to a high Xmax 10", in which case the 10" may have a greater displacement than the 15".

Also I have room I really don't care about trunk space lol I have 2 sa-12s ported right now.

Edited by clab333

So then why the change to the 15?? If you already have 2 quality subs?

A few people touched on it, but it has not really be addressed heads up. Discounting the price, do you want the 15" model for the output potential? A number of people will also suggest the larger driver as less power compression, less driver strain and more coil in the gap more of the time to achieve the same output. So, if money was not a factor, is output your primary issue to address?

Then if output and budget in play, a lesser expensive & larger coned sub, that is still high quality is easily with in reach. As Nick mentioned, the Fi X, or as others said the SSA Dcon etc. Maybe what I am getting at is pay less attention to the wattage race, and more on your actual goals. ;)

I don't understand. You have 2 sa 12s already and you want what?

I have owned some serious subs and the sa subs are some seriously capable drivers! Replaced my dd9515 with 3 sa 12s and i am very impressed with them.

Are you just bored with them, or maybe you think you can get different bass from a different size driver?

IMO, it would be wise to learn what can be done to a system to make it fit your taste. If you are under the impression that size changes usable frequency response then you do not understand mobile acoustics or woofer design.

I always say, quality in = quality out. So you need a great electrical, amplifier, subwoofer, and enclosure... not just one of the above.