Sign in to follow this  
dbsupra

X-12 prototype box built and installed

Picked up the proto from Jacob about a month ago. Finished up the box last night and wanted to share some pics.

specs:

1.85 cf3 after displacements

3/4 birch that isn't really 3/4

6" aero 31hz tune

sub:

2012-01-01_17-13-34_200.jpg

2012-01-01_17-14-11_769.jpg

port:

I flush mounted it then cut another plate to fit on the inside. That gave me more surface to epoxy and helped seal up the giant hole on the backside. Painted it several coats of hammered black. Used 1" dowel rods for bracing and support of the port.

2012-01-01_00-42-31_835.jpg

2011-12-31_19-13-48_191.jpg

2011-12-31_19-13-23_920.jpg

Double baffle

2012-01-01_19-42-38_910.jpg

Binding posts I made

2012-01-01_22-20-02_474.jpg

Flush mounted

2012-01-01_22-33-07_596.jpg

Complete box. Had a piece left over so made a double baffle for the top and rounded over the edge

2012-01-01_22-32-42_154.jpg

Took it for a test ride last night and it wangs! I still need to do some tweaks. The gain and ssf is still set for the sa-8 I had in there.

Thanks for looking!

Looks awesome!!!

Thanks!

I have a tendency to over build things a bit and this one was no exception haha. With 4 1" dowel rods and double baffles and near an entire bottle of titebond glue plus screws it's on the solid side. Surprisingly it is light since I used birch. I think mdf it would have taken 2 people to move it.

I'm running it off a sax1200 right now and it even surprised me. Even with the big 3 my headlights were dimming a bit so I had to back down the gain. Looks like I will be adding a couple more grounds and maybe a 2nd batt. The ssf is actually set just above port tuning and it still goes deep. I need to adjust that but the amp is ridiculous to get to.

May have a few vids to share later.

Thanks! I was waiting to add the grounds and do some tweaking this weekend. May have a vid to share.

I'm not sure how close this driver is to the production model. This one is more of a hybrid. It has the x motor with NS coil and cone and Z V2 spider. I'm real happy with it despite not having it at full potential yet.

Maybe I missed it but when are these coming out?

Maybe I missed it but when are these coming out?

Last that I know is Jacob was waiting on baskets to be tooled. They are going to use the X basket like the monster X-8 they were building. It was supposed to come out this year, but with so many projects going on I'm not sure where it ranks in the priority.

On another note, I did make a quick vid after I installed my stinger voltmeter. I have a much larger voltage drop than I thought. I picked up a Diehard Platinum P1 for underhood and working on some more grounding. Been busy at work and cold to boot.

I currently have the sub back port to the side (sounded the best on my other sub). I wanted to play around with placement and tried sub up. Not going to happen. I had to adjust the measurements slightly from the original design and had forgotten that my original design would just fit laying on its back. Since I added the second baffle on top it is about 1/2" too wide :suicide-santa:

The only reason I care is because the old box had about 8" clearance to the lift gate and this one is closer to 4". I don't know if that is better, worse, or indifferent.

Will update more later.

Sign in to follow this