Sign in to follow this  
jcs921

SSA ICON 12' vs SSA XCON 12'

Alright guys, this is going to be my first system. I need some input on what sub to get. I have an amp that my friend said is low budget but is decent. The audiopipe 1500 watt. Now I'm new and don't know a whole lot about systems and stuff so please bare with me :) I want the kind of loud that makes your nose and throat itch lol. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. Now I just need some advice on what to get. Thanks guys :)

You will get the same quality sound from each driver. Think of the icon as a v6 mustang and the xcon as a v8. Basically the same machine however the xcon will provide more output being it has more motor force and xmax, but like the v8 it'll take a little more gas (power) to get the extra output.

Exellent analogy

Edited by CrownVic

Thank you guys for the quick responses. So pretty much I'd be good with going with the icon and the audiopipe 1500 watt amp? Also, do you think that will get as loud as I'd like? As in making your throat and nose itch. Lol.

You will get the same quality sound from each driver. Think of the icon as a v6 mustang and the xcon as a v8. Basically the same machine however the xcon will provide more output being it has more motor force and xmax, but like the v8 it'll take a little more gas (power) to get the extra output.

excellent... except, the Xcon is like the most efficient V8 you'll ever find .... Holy shit did 500w make me giggle... But now on 1500+ on my current setup ... just fcking WOW!

Thank you guys for the quick responses. So pretty much I'd be good with going with the icon and the audiopipe 1500 watt amp? Also, do you think that will get as loud as I'd like? As in making your throat and nose itch. Lol.

all depends on install as well...

We can't tell you if it'll be loud enough for you. We can however say you will not find another woofer in it's price range with the same output and clearity.

I'm really leaning towards the 1 12' Icon. Are there any specific reasons I should go with the Xcon over the Icon?

I'm really leaning towards the 1 12' Icon. Are there any specific reasons I should go with the Xcon over the Icon?

I'm guessing you already have an enclosure? Or set on a 12" for space reasons? Otherwise more cone area is a good way to increase output.

If your current enclosure is an off the shelf one purchased from Best Buy, I suggest you invest some money into a custom enclosure, or build one yourself, as that will make the biggest difference.

The Xcon does have a higher power rating then the Icon; however, that doesn't make it any less efficient, in fact it's slightly more efficient in comparison to the Icon series, according to modeling using WinISD. But the difference shouldn't be audible.

I have an Icon and absolutely love it. I've also had a pair of xcons and loved them as well.

If you plan on upgrading to more power later, xcon would be a nice choice. Otherwise, Icon may suit your needs just fine.

I'm guessing you already have an enclosure? Or set on a 12" for space reasons? Otherwise more cone area is a good way to increase output.

If your current enclosure is an off the shelf one purchased from Best Buy, I suggest you invest some money into a custom enclosure, or build one yourself, as that will make the biggest difference.

The Xcon does have a higher power rating then the Icon; however, that doesn't make it any less efficient, in fact it's slightly more efficient in comparison to the Icon series, according to modeling using WinISD. But the difference shouldn't be audible.

I have an Icon and absolutely love it. I've also had a pair of xcons and loved them as well.

I have a friend that builds them. And he would do it for me for a small price.

Also, I'd bump up to a 15' I have a 99 maxima and the trunk is HUGE

But thank you guys for your input!

Now what about a headunit? Is there anything specific I need in a headunit?

Edited by jcs921

I feel stupid for asking but what does that mean? :/

Nothing. He's being retarded.

Ah alright. Thanks.

So do you guys think that the audiopipe 1500d is a good option for an amp?

An ICON should suit you just fine for what you need. As mentioned above though, an XCON would give you a little more room at add power down the road though.

If you can squeeze a 15" in there, I would deff. suggest the upgrade in cone surface area and get an I/XCON 15" instead to get the added output. Why not, it's only an additional $10 bucks :)

An ICON should suit you just fine for what you need. As mentioned above though, an XCON would give you a little more room at add power down the road though.

If you can squeeze a 15" in there, I would deff. suggest the upgrade in cone surface area and get an I/XCON 15" instead to get the added output. Why not, it's only an additional $10 bucks :)

Yes. thank you very much for your opinion. I will probably get the 15' Icon then. Once again though, do you think the ap1500d would be a decent amp for it? :)

Thanks once again.

Yes. thank you very much for your opinion. I will probably get the 15' Icon then. Once again though, do you think the ap1500d would be a decent amp for it? :)

Thanks once again.

"If" it does rated power, it should be perfect. Anything between 750-1500w will work just fine for it.

The Icon is a fantastic driver for sure.

Bbbuuuut, the Xcon is superior, in my opinion. If you have the money, get the Xcon ! 1500 w will be enough to make you feel happy !!!

I'm in love with the Xcon, sorry !:ughdunno:

A xcon will get loud with 1500wrms and still leave room to upgrade the amp. I would go xcon.

Ah alright. Thanks.

So do you guys think that the audiopipe 1500d is a good option for an amp?

If you have it, use it. Just make sure to set the gains correctly.

Did anybody say zcon???haha. That is one beefy 12

Like the guys said not really that much of a difference. However, the Xcon takes more power and will have a better low and high end. If you really care about numbers get the Xcon (I'd go with Xcon). U would c a 2-4db increase on TL (Install Dependent). Are you a big fan of 12's? Tight on space? Just asking cuz y not spend a xtra 10-20 bucks for a 15 or 18? They could get louder, push more air, and get lower, and louder! I mean y not you know. :fing34:

Edited by Randy.D

Did anybody say zcon???haha. That is one beefy 12

HYFR it is. Im going wid 2 18" Zcons. Can U say 150+ :woot: