mrbadwrench

Some questions about the fi x series

Currently have 2x12" rockford p3 subs in a shitty pre-fab box with a v12 alpine amp (600rms @ 2ohms, 400rms @ 4ohms)

The subs are extreeemely loud, but they lack the quality I desire. (i'd rather have them hit more frequencies and sound smooth over being heard 5 blocks away anyday)

I am looking into either getting a FI x or an alpine type-r. (Im going to be running just 1 sub in a box made specifically for it) which do you think would be better for quality purposes?

2nd question is, do you think a 10 inch or 12 inch would be better for listening to mostly dubstep and rap?

3rd question is, the fi x is rated at 400 watts rms. If you think thats a better sub for quality, Would I get the 4 ohms to match my 400 watts @ 4ohms on my amp, or would the x be able to handle 600 watts?

thanks a lot guys!

1) The Fi X would be my choice of those 2.

2) I always prefer more cone area unless you are trying to save as much space as possible.

3) It's really up to you, the X will perform just fine with 400 watts in a properly built enclosure. If everything is set up properly and you take care not to abuse it, it will do great with 600 watts.

Get a single fi Q 12 or 15.... If you're after the sound quality like you say you are you won't be disappointed!!! :-)

Build a box that fit the RF specs and tune to a lower freq. and see how you like that before you spend much more money on new subs. Either way you're getting a new box, so there is no reason not to try this.