Hobofobo89

1 SP4 12 or 2 SSD 12

Alright in about a month i plan on buying new subs, I’m looking to spend around 600$. I was originally wanting to get two 12" SSD's, but now that the SP4 line is out idk. i can get one 12” SP4 for about the same price as two SSD, my question to yall is which is a better buy? What will i be more pleased with? Which one hits harder? Which one sounds better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright in about a month i plan on buying new subs, I’m looking to spend around 600$. I was originally wanting to get two 12" SSD's, but now that the SP4 line is out idk. i can get one 12” SP4 for about the same price as two SSD, my question to yall is which is a better buy? What will i be more pleased with? Which one hits harder? Which one sounds better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fi doesnt make a 12" sp4 for starters. after that i cant tell you what youll be most pleased with and as for how "hard it hits" or "how good it will sound" i cant tell you that either because the build will be the determining factor.

A 12" SP4 is in the works.

Why not go up to a 15" or 18" SP4?

What kind of power are you going to use? Goals of the system?

im just a fan of 12's i think they sound better.

Please tell me you're joking...

What kind of power are you going to use? Goals of the system?

im going to be useing a hifonics amp, the size i get depends on what subs i buy. im just a daily driver, i like loud bass but i also like it to sound good. im lookin at spending about 2000K between subs , amp, wires ect.

Please tell me you're joking...

iv only heard larger subs 2 times, and each time i dident like them very much. granted the person who owned them was stupid and knew nothing, so he could of wired them wrong. whats your take on larger size subs?

I bet you wish they made some 8" drivers then, sound even better?!

Although T/S specs can change from larger cone, larger cone doesn't effect the sound quality, it allows for increased output, and even increased output with the possibility of less excursion and less distortion. :trippy:

geez you guys are all over this today, must be a slow wednesday at work? haha

op, decide how much room you willing to give up for the subs then pick the largest sub that will fit, assuming your goal is output.

haha i was just thinking the same thing

Look whose talking! :P

Meh I'm on break and getting over being sick, what else am I do.

i could very easliy fit a 18 in my trunk, i drive a grand marquis it has alot of room. so from what im geting here is get a 18 SP4?

I Was Able to hit 150db in a small suv with 2 12ssds :morepower1: using a aq2200

18"s can sound just as good as 10"s. It's all about the enclosure.

I often have people ask me if my 18"s are sealed when I demo rock songs and such because of how fast they respond to everything. :)

P.s. I just got hired today and don't start till Monday, so I'm free all day. :D lol

Well thats one of the promblems my friend has with his 15" Q, one it dosnt responed fast enough and two it cant hit the higher freqs. These things are important to me, do you have any tips so this dosnt happen to me?

Well thats one of the promblems my friend has with his 15" Q, one it dosnt responed fast enough and two it cant hit the higher freqs. These things are important to me, do you have any tips so this dosnt happen to me?

His enclosure alignment sucks and possibly his amplifier settings are off.

Just design and build the proper box.

This is from a sticky here titled 'Before posting ANY questions' in the General Audio section. Hopefully it will help shed some light on your question regarding sound differences in respect to cone area

One of the biggest myths about woofers is that 8’s and 10’s are “tighter” and “cleaner” than 15’s or 18’s. Nothing is further from the truth. What tends to happen is that the smaller drivers have lower Q’s because manufactures tend to put large cones on smaller motors to increase SPL and sensitivity but not BL product. Well unless the motor can compensate for the extra mass it has to push, then the Qts will not be the same as the smaller drivers and ultimately the driver may not be suited for the same kinds of alignments and could ring too much and compromise the perceived sound quality. Having said that, high Qts drivers are not any less “tight” or “musical” than well dampened drivers, it’s just they require larger boxes and less internal pressure to prevent ringing. Ultimately there becomes a point where a driver really should be used in an infinite baffle where its actual Qts and Fs becomes the system Qtc and Fc. As enclosure volume decreases, Qtc increases and it will take a driver with a low Qts to make for an average Q system. So in conclusion, the only reason to use a smaller bass driver is for space, weight and potentially power considerations, but likewise, it is inappropriate to try and fit a larger driver into a space smaller than it is ideal for.

If you really think you can fit an 18 in the trunk that's what I'd do.. the 18" SP4 needs like 4-6 cubic feet after displacement in a SEALED box.. and make sure your box is a foot deep for the mounting depth..

For a ported box they need 6-8 cubic feet... I'm not very familiar with that car but I think you'd be surprised how big the box would have to be for a six cubic foot box..

And like everybody else said the cone area of the driver is going to matter far less then the enclosure when it comes to how 'good' it sounds.

I agree!! Go big or go home. I wanted to run a set of 15's but didn't want to give up all my cargo space in my SUV. I am happy with the output from my 2 BL 12's.

hmm ok. well thanks for the help! :thanx:

sounds like a enclosure issue. I have a q 18 and it sounds amazing. It works great on any kind of music Edited by Bobobass

I Was Able to hit 150db in a small suv with 2 12ssds :morepower1: using a aq2200

150dB on the dash, sealed up, with that gear in a KJ ?