Sign in to follow this  
chainsaw

Anybody ever repair an IPod?

Hey guys. I have a 30 gig iPod video that I have had since 2006. I use it in the car to store music and inside my house with my surround sound. The display has went out on it, but it functions fine with anything that doesn't need the iPod screen for functioning, such as my head unit. . The backlight still works, but it's just a blue and gray blank screen. All buttons still work. I have seen the displays on eBay for as low as six bucks, and simple looking tutorials on YouTube on how to replace it. My question is, has anyone on here ever actually replaced one? If so, can the average Joe Blow with basic electronic/ car audio skills do it without frying the hard drive or worse?

Power it down and use a lint free swab with a little acetone in it and clean the headphone hole. Clean it good and let sit for about a day.

Typically they get lint and such on there and cause your issue.

Power it down and use a lint free swab with a little acetone in it and clean the headphone hole. Clean it good and let sit for about a day.

Really? I thought it was maybe some kind of heat damage. This thing has spent most of its life in a glovebox in south Louisiana. About 2 years ago I got a gray blob on the screen and assumed it was dead pixels.

Really? I thought it was maybe some kind of heat damage. This thing has spent most of its life in a glovebox in south Louisiana. About 2 years ago I got a gray blob on the screen and assumed it was dead pixels.

In our haunt all the sounds come from ipods that people gave use because they did not work. So we learned how to repair them. Step 1 is make sure the headphone jack is clean of lint and debris using the method above. Many times that is all that is wrong with them.

Sometimes they need screens replaced and even the internals go bad from time to time, but they are cheap and easy to fix if you take your time.

Wanna just sell me the iPod? I need another older one since my radio can only charge the older ones.

if you decide to fix it buy the glass with the housing on it already gluing the glass by it self its a pain if you dont have the right glue

Not trying to take the Spotlight off of Chainsaw's Thread, but I have a quick question for Nem.

My question is as follows, Nem will that Method you just mentioned work on a 32gb Ipod Touch 1st or 2nd Gen with part of the screen not detecting movement? Or could it just be a Screen Issue and the Screen just needs to be replaced? Thank you in advance for your input.

Cleaning the headphone jack will cure many issues with ipods and iphones. Always try step1 before tearing those apart. It can save time and money.

Alright cool!! Thanks Nem!!

Wanna just sell me the iPod? I need another older one since my radio can only charge the older ones.

Couldn't part with. It's about half loaded with stuff and my jvc only reads older ones as well

Couldn't part with. It's about half loaded with stuff and my jvc only reads older ones as well

Mine reads all of them, just only charges the older ones.