sundownz

Sundown : New 2012 Stuff

I'm working on alot of stuff right now... I am not 100% sure how much will make it to the market by the end of this year but lets cover what is currently in the pipe-line :

1) Nightshade v.3 -- Already discussed on the forums a bit. This will be 15s and 18s only for a while -- maybe a few 12s for burp apps but NO TENS.

2) New Sundown baskets in 10/12/15 sizes. I can't show off the renderings yet until my ornamental patent application is in... but think at LEAST as much clearance as the "Eclipse" baskets AND even stronger. 18s will definitely not make it for 2012... but are on the road-map for 2013. This will allow me to make the NS v.3 in 12s for music applications. These will be used on everything larger than the SA line.

** -- With the baskets come all new spiders, cones, and surrounds. Some pretty sick stuff... you guys will like it.

3) Entirely new SAX / SAZ amp line... yes you read that correctly. I won't say any more yet until I get some prototypes Only the NS-1 isn't being re-vamped as it's already brand new and a separate line.

4) The elusive "X" line to go between the SA and Z lines (rated 1kw)... this will start to debut once the baskets are done. 12s first, then 15s, then 10s... not sure if all sizes will fit into 2012 yet or not but we will try! So yes our 1kw line will have huge spiders and tons of throw. And YES the X-8 is still in the works... it's just been a huge pain with the vendors but it's still on the table.

It's been a while since I made a "coming soon" thread... and you know how I like to keep you guys in the loop !

I'm sure I forgot a few things... but don't worry -- I will update along the way !

PS: The new baskets open up 4" coil designs with high excursion. Hmmmm... Wonder what that could mean for late 2012 to 2013 designs ?!

-----

Fun fact :

Our new 15" frame tool = ~7.7 lbs

15" Eclipse Style = ~5.0 lbs

15" 12-spoke = ~3.3 lbs

15" 4-spoke = ~2.7 lbs

Suffice to say I only wanted to tool this once no matter how heavy I wanted to make a woofer motor in the future.

And since basket prices go by the amount of aluminum -- you can see why we won't use it on the SA as it weighs / costs 2.85x more than a 4-spoke

Also I've managed to keep the cut-out within about ~8mm (0.3") of a standard frame on the 12s and 15s. It had to grow a bit as the frame material is so much thicker.

But to fit the 8 3/8" spider that I've grown to like so much from the Z v.3 15" on the new 10" frame I have to expand it by around 1/2" or so. I wasn't happy with just using a 200mm (8.0") spider since I am doing it I may as well do it the way I want it !

So users will have to do a bit more modding to their box on that one... but hey, that is what it will take to make a 10" worth having, IMO As much as I currently HATE making beefy 10s... this will alleviate my hatred for them as I will be able to make 10s throw down like the video I recently put up of the NS v.3 -- food for thought :)

SHYT!!! :morepower1:

Leave the amps alone. Jeez.

No need to change it every 2.3 months.

I have the x-12 prototype and I love it!

What about the shallow 6.5 components? I've been anxious to see them.

I am stoked too see someone stepping up to feel the void left by TC sounds.

Depending on how these turn out my loyalty my towards TC well end up shifting.

I am stoked too see someone stepping up to feel the void left by TC sounds.

Depending on how these turn out my loyalty my towards TC well end up shifting.

Loyal to some one because of their baskets? Lol

No they filled a small niche in the market for long excursion subs. Unless I misunderstood Jacob is building all new baskets, and associated softparts too go with the baskets that he says will have as much cleareance as the ti baskets.

It's quite necessary as we are actually shifting manufacturing facilities... while I'm at it I am improving them as I'd need to re-tool anyway.

I have the x-12 prototype and I love it!

What about the shallow 6.5 components? I've been anxious to see them.

Components are in testing but a relatively low priority vs. amps and subs which is what we are best known for.

No they filled a small niche in the market for long excursion subs. Unless I misunderstood Jacob is building all new baskets, and associated softparts too go with the baskets that he says will have as much cleareance as the ti baskets.

Yes, we will have room for over 2" one-way on all of the frames and be able to use spiders that will withstand that :drink40:

I would love to see some sundown tweets for a future active build. As I posted on ssa manufacture section, it would be cool for an all one quality company set up; whether it be sundown, SSA or Fi. All amazing companies that would be slick to get a one stop shop thing going with

It's quite necessary as we are actually shifting manufacturing facilities... while I'm at it I am improving them as I'd need to re-tool anyway.

Going to a Chinese manufacturer?

No, the SAX and SAZ will remain Korean made amps -- just a different Korean factory.

As all of our Class-D boards are custom tooled for us in their present form -- so we don't plan to use any stock boards at the new facility either.

It's actually been a while for any significant amp changes... I believe other than the NS-1 it was the first of 2011 or so since the last major change.

Edited by sundownz

No, the SAX and SAZ will remain Korean made amps -- just a different Korean factory.

As all of our Class-D boards are custom tooled for us in their present form -- so we don't plan to use any stock boards at the new facility either.

It's actually been a while for any significant amp changes... I believe other than the NS-1 it was the first of 2011 or so since the last major change.

Well I certainly hope they are epic. :)

I miss me some Sundown bass power. Lol. Still using SAX highs amps.

I'm anxiously waiting to see some customer installs and competitor scores with the new Nightshades. Can you fill us in on any details concerning the new amplifiers such as rated power, like will there be a bridge or new amp to close the gap between the 3500 and NS-1?

I'm anxiously waiting to see some customer installs and competitor scores with the new Nightshades. Can you fill us in on any details concerning the new amplifiers such as rated power, like will there be a bridge or new amp to close the gap between the 3500 and NS-1?

Amp details will come soon :)

The X line should be pretty cool. :fing34:

Dissapointed in the lower priority put on the comps but I understand :peepwall: Looking foward to seeing all the new versions and products coming out this year though :popcorn:

:lame:

I'm looking forward to the "X" line

Interesting. They are already bad ass since the added cooling fins. Can't wait to see the changes.

2) New Sundown baskets in 10/12/15 sizes. I can't show off the renderings yet until my ornamental patent application is in... but think at LEAST as much clearance as the "Eclipse" baskets AND even stronger. 18s will definitely not make it for 2012... but are on the road-map for 2013. This will allow me to make the NS v.3 in 12s for music applications. These will be used on everything larger than the SA line.

** -- With the baskets come all new spiders' date=' cones, and surrounds. Some pretty sick stuff... you guys will like it.[/quote']

On this subject... I forgot to add that I am designing / tooling an adapter for the 18" 6-spoke to tide me over until our 18" tooling is done that will support the same spider size as our new 15" frame (257mm).

So we can start making even high excursion 18s this year as well :D

3) Entirely new SAX / SAZ amp line... yes you read that correctly. I won't say any more yet until I get some prototypes Only the NS-1 isn't being re-vamped as it's already brand new and a separate line.

Some info will appear shortly in the next week or two on the first two models that will be made for the new 2012 series!