accordwithbass

Trying to get from 148.2 to 150+ DB's

Ok so I 2 FI Q 15s powered by a DD M3a at 2 ohms. I have 1 run of 4 gauge, and stock electrical. The box is 8 cubes at 33hz and is walled in my car but not completely sealed off yet. I only had 20 mins with the TL so I only tested 2 songs and I got a 148.2 at the dash sealed with Lil Jon Throw it up.

I just ordered new battery terminals today and My buddy is sending me 11ft of 0 gauge so I can do the big 3. Then I will sound deaden my 2 front doors and whatever I have left over I will sound deaden the floor of the car. After that I will seal off my trunk from the cabin (which is behind the box) but I wont have all the trim panels to go around the box to make it even more sealed off, for a while. Once that is complete I will do 1 run of 0 gauge to my amp and drop the load to .5 ohms.

Wil this get me the 1.8 DB's I need to break 150?

and

And what are you ideas on how to get over 150?

Please don't turn this into some kind of hate fest, just give me some answers so I and others will see how to gain a couple DB's

Thank you.

Completely seal it, do the big three, and run 0 gauge to the amp and you should be there.

Get some more meter time, try different seat positions, ac vents closed, window combinations, etc.

Thanks for you input. Will the sound deadening help? Because I don't want to spend $200 if it wont help. I don't have that bad of rattles because I put foam in everything, just my sunglasses up in the headliner

I tried at the dash with passenger window up and down, and at the passenger kick with passenger door open and closed, 148.2 was the highest but I only had 20 mins at the local audio shop sooo more time would be helpfull. But say that spot at the dash sealed was the best I could get, then what should I do to gain the other 2 DB's

I tried at the dash with passenger window up and down, and at the passenger kick with passenger door open and closed, 148.2 was the highest but I only had 20 mins at the local audio shop sooo more time would be helpfull. But say that spot at the dash sealed was the best I could get, then what should I do to gain the other 2 DB's

Like Stefan said little things like adjusting your seat can change your score. You could probably get there without much more money if you had some more time to play around with things.

Like Stefan said little things like adjusting your seat can change your score. You could probably get there without much more money if you had some more time to play around with things.

Ok, that sounds good enough for me. Ill seal off my trunk and do the big 3 and go back to the audio shop to do more testing. Being over 150 is pretty good I think.

Change your Subs.. The qs are not meant to be used like that. The bl would be more appropriate

Ok, that sounds good enough for me. Ill seal off my trunk and do the big 3 and go back to the audio shop to do more testing. Being over 150 is pretty good I think.

150 is awesome, run some 0 gauge to your amp too.

Change your Subs.. The qs are not meant to be used like that. The bl would be more appropriate

I would but Im out of money now, I got $800 from plowing driveways with my quad about a week ago when we got this big snow storm, So I got the new amp amp, 0 gauge for big 3 and battery terminals. Do you think I can find 20ft of 0 gauge for about $30?

Probably used. But prob not. Sell the qs and get bls they will be louder.

This whole thread is pointless!

This entire thread is about theoretical possible speculatory potential...

The only answer is to get a meter.

You physically need to have one...

When we(competitors) build boxes to tune, it can take us anywhere from a day to a week straight on just tuning the box with the car and that's having a meter.

Without having a meter, might as well be the same as going to American Idol as a Mime.

Not only will owning a meter answer any curious question you may have, it will also give you experience and let you see things that you never thought before.

People spend thousands of dollars on equipment, but fail to realize without the tools, how are you to achieve a great tune?

Shizz well said, and on another note, just dropping the ohm load to .5 will probably get you where you want to be if your getting all the other things you said you were getting, might even be a little higher i'm willing to bet. Oh and about the deadening sometimes it will help or hurt you just gotta check it out, ( it hurt my score lol ). Well good luck dude.

Edited by YojO

Well shizzzon thats great, good opinion but if its negative keep it to yourself because this thread was very use full to me so its NOT pointless. And YoJO, based on what you said I wont get sound deadening, because other just say test and wiring so I got what I needed to know. So thank all you guys for being help full. Except for shizzzon, im not a hard core competitor but Id like my system be over the 150 mark, and it sounds clean and clear. If I wanted a straight SPL car I would made it all for SPL and had a different amp, different subs, different box, but its my daily driver so I wanted it tuned to 33hz and I love it. And for Julian if your refering to my amp and wire being used its not, I got the amp from my buddy who bought it new and used it for a week then bought the next biggest amp DD makes so Its basically new and he had 11ft of extra 0 gauge so he gave it to me.

Check out Welding cable, It's way cheaper and does the trick. Everyone Has very solid points, I've found the biggest help is Meter time and experimenting like said above. I've gained over 3 db in the past just from trying the above mentioned ideas. Take your time and have fun learning with it. Good Luck. I'm sure you will get there and then some.

Shizz- This guy was just lookin for ideas. Yes owning a meter helps like all hell but he's just lookin for tips for now.

I am just surprised to see a 148.2 on this build. Not downing your build but damn.

Out of curiosity what meter was this on?

J

You need different woofers. Simple as that.

Get D2 BL's wire to .5ohm and poof 150. Cause at 2 ohm your just not getting power. Simple as that. And the Q's aren't meant for sheer loudness.

I was using one just as good as the Term Lab, I forget what its called but its not some $30 thing. It was at my car audio shop and they use it for testing comp systems. Ill be using that one until I get on the Term Lab on April 18th at Audio Northwest in Lacey Washington. Its a car audio comp we are setting up. Its going to be IASCA. And yes I know my subs need to be changed. I originally had 1 FI Q 15 in a sealed box in my trunk, then I got a second one and wanted to go ported. I plan on selling them the start of this summer and getting BLs or BTLs. And GodSmack I was surprised also. I never got my build log finished but its done now and alot of threaded rod bracing and its surprisingly loud and still sounds just as good as it did in my sealed box.

Was it the audio control?

Was it the audio control?

My thoughts exactly. 148 sounded high for the equipment/power.

Don't understand how shizzz giving you advice was negative...

I'm rather impressed by your score as well! :fing34:

Julian was saying that the only place you're likely to find 0 gauge wiring that cheap is if you buy it used.

Don't remember if anyone answered your questioning on deadening, but it goes both ways. Some people get higher scores, but some people also loose numbers from deadening.

On any respect, good luck :)

Don't understand how shizzz giving you advice was negative...

I'm rather impressed by your score as well! :fing34:

Julian was saying that the only place you're likely to find 0 gauge wiring that cheap is if you buy it used.

Don't remember if anyone answered your questioning on deadening, but it goes both ways. Some people get higher scores, but some people also loose numbers from deadening.

On any respect, good luck :)

Shizz just saying its pointless was a little rude. But whatever he gave some good advice. And as for 0 Gauge im just going to wait a week until I have $60 and get Knu 0 gauge, because my buddy sent me 11ft of knu 0 and its nice stuff. And I dont think ill sound deaden. Thank you!