djtomczak

Obsidian audio?

Found them and they look pretty good compared to my sa12s. Reading up on them they seem to hit the low lows very well. How would they compare to my sa12s? 35hz 1.75 cubes and 750rms each. And are they made in USA?

Obsidian is a joint venture between Jacob, the owner of Sundown, and Nick Lemmons, the owner of Stereo Integrity. They are not made in the USA.

That's what I figured. They're pretty cheap so I was thinking about just dropping a pair in an trying them out.

Not made in the USA but are a great sub woofer for the money!

Obsidian is a joint venture between Jacob, the owner of Sundown, and Nick Lemmons, the owner of Stereo Integrity. They are not made in the USA.

This^^^

I'd also like to hear one.

I don't know much about the driver, but I thought it was in the same ballpark as the sa12? So it shouldn't be a big difference?

Magnet sizes are pretty close, I don't remember the excursion on the sa12 but the obsidians are 62mm peak to peak!

I think I remember reading somewhere that they're supposed to the an internet only sourced brand that is geared more toward quality over output.

Then again I couldn't remember where I was going when driving around town three different times earlier today, so what the hell do I know.

Magnet sizes are pretty close, I don't remember the excursion on the sa12 but the obsidians are 62mm peak to peak!

You should find out which one weighs more. ;)

I kid, I kid. You can use WinISD to model how each driver does in your enclosure. Pretty simple.

That's Xmech. Pay no attention to it. If you try to move them that much, you're only going to destroy them.

Put them both into WinISD, Sa12s peak at 39Hz where the Obsidians continue on until 45Hz Obsidians also extend an extra 4Hz on the low end compared the the Sundowns. Looks like I'll be spending some more money...

Put them both into WinISD, Sa12s peak at 39Hz where the Obsidians continue on until 45Hz Obsidians also extend an extra 4Hz on the low end compared the the Sundowns. Looks like I'll be spending some more money...

By how much exactly? Mind making a screen shot and posting.

And that's exactly what they were designed to do - operate over a very large bandwidth while sounding good and getting very loud if need be. :D

Where to buy?

DOH!

Was going to post a picture but photobucket didn't send my new password right away, when I get home I'll post a picture of the slopes.

The lovely curves:

anigc5.png

Blue is Two SA12s Green is two Obsidian 12s. Found out my box's specs to be 38Hz and 3.9 cubes.

Very intetrsting, what values did you use to get this info?

Sundowns specs in the technical area and the specs off obsidian's website.

Is this from the "gain" or "spl" tab?

From that chart your not getting any gain until 40hz+, and not any real noticeable difference until mid 50 range. Not sure where your crossover points are, but from the graph, it doesn't seem like it would be worth while to switch. At least in that alignment.

From that chart your not getting any gain until 40hz+, and not any real noticeable difference until mid 50 range. Not sure where your crossover points are, but from the graph, it doesn't seem like it would be worth while to switch. At least in that alignment.

Realize this graph does not include cabin gain. In-car response will be completely different and that peak could very well move down one octave.

Realize this graph does not include cabin gain. In-car response will be completely different and that peak could very well move down one octave.

Cabin gain completely slipped my thoughts!

If the OP could use a spl meter, or even rta (low volume), then he could make a graph of his FR inside the car, then compare it to the winisd model, correct?

skar subs were also designed by the same person. If you look at the three, you will see some of the same "designs" used. All are good subs. I think that they will a sound similar. Also none of them are made in the USA. I would guess they are all made in the same build house.

I would like to see a comparison between these.