djtomczak

Obsidian audio?

skar subs were also designed by the same person. If you look at the three, you will see some of the same "designs" used. All are good subs. I think that they will a sound similar. Also none of them are made in the USA. I would guess they are all made in the same build house.

I would like to see a comparison between these.

Just caused they are designed by the same person doesn not mean they share the same design. Different subs with different goal that share a common rms number or price tag (give or take a few bucks).

skar subs were also designed by the same person. If you look at the three, you will see some of the same "designs" used. All are good subs. I think that they will a sound similar. Also none of them are made in the USA. I would guess they are all made in the same build house.

Just caused they are designed by the same person doesn not mean they share the same design. Different subs with different goal that share a common rms number or price tag (give or take a few bucks).

Please don't take it as they are all the same. They are not. I didn't mean to make it sound like that. This is why I would like some one to compare them.

Should I be looking at the gain or spl tabs? This is the spl tab. Ill put the skar in too and post the gain tab when I get home. I have an analog DB meter that goes up to 125 I could use. Would that one work? And if so what do you want me to do with it?

1fy8ef.png

Now that's the Gain graph.

Obsidian- Blue

Sundown SA12- Green

Skar VVX- Yellow

2 12s in 3.9 cubes at 38Hz

The OA having a bit more bottom end compared to an SA is an accurate assessment -- on the other side of the spectrum the SA will typically produce more peak SPL up higher contrary to what the chart shows you based on our actual in-vehicle tests.

Both are extremely capable drivers... just don't over study the WinISD charts.

Edited by sundownz

Hmm, well my box has separate chambers, so I might try and throw one obsidian in and compare it to one sa. Would be a great way to spend my tax return!

An OA 18" for $148(think thats the presale price) is a crazy good deal.

It sure is -- super low price for what the driver is capable of, IMO.

If that would of shown up before I built my current box, I would of been running those! Some 18s I can run without needing a new amp!

If that would of shown up before I built my current box, I would of been running those! Some 18s I can run without needing a new amp!

new box ? ;)

new box ? ;)

When I bought my truck I said I wouldn't fill the back with a sub woofer box, I guess I'll have to start taking measurements...

Should I be looking at the gain or spl tabs? This is the spl tab. Ill put the skar in too and post the gain tab when I get home. I have an analog DB meter that goes up to 125 I could use. Would that one work? And if so what do you want me to do with it?

SPL, Although all the tabs will give useful info. You should play with the size and tuning of the box to see if one of these likes a different box. And check on the excursion also.

If you go to WinISD's Face Book page you can dl the latest version of the software. I really like it but you might have to reenter the drivers.

where is that sale going down at?

I hope you are not stating that the Obsidian woofers are designed by the same person who designed the Skar woofers because that is completely wrong.

If you are listening to your woofers in an anechoic chamber then definitely look at the WinISD graphs. If you are not, however, add in a +12dB/octave gain at ~45 Hz and you will have an estimated in-car response. :D

I hope you are not stating that the Obsidian woofers are designed by the same person who designed the Skar woofers because that is completely wrong.

If you are listening to your woofers in an anechoic chamber then definitely look at the WinISD graphs. If you are not, however, add in a +12dB/octave gain at ~45 Hz and you will have an estimated in-car response. :D

You might want to introduce yourself. Not everybody knows who you are :peepwall:

Electrodynamic is Nick Lemons.

Nick, while the WinISD graphs aren't going to predict response in a real world scenario, it successfuly puts all woofers on the same plane, to be compared without bias.

Electrodynamic is Nick Lemons.

Nick, while the WinISD graphs aren't going to predict response in a real world scenario, it successfuly puts all woofers on the same plane, to be compared without bias.

I am fully aware of that. That's why I said what I said. However, it is what people don't understand which supplies the illusion of having those response curves inside of their car. Sure you can compare subwoofers to see which one will play lower in the same size box but again it is in a test chamber, not in real life. Actual responses in real life are anything but close to what WinISD shells out. The program is very good for determining port length in a vented enclosure though.

While the WinISD graphs aren't going to predict response in a real world scenario, it successfuly puts all woofers on the same plane, to be compared without bias.

It really doesn't even do that... the real responses aren't like the graphs at all when we measured them.

These days I don't use a box program for anything more than calculating port tuning as they are so often separated by a big margin from what really happens.

I looking at getting 2-12's. I'm going to put them in my son's car 2000 grand am gt. Trunk space I have to work with is, 37w x 15h x 18d. Could I fit a dual ported box in there? And could you design a box that would fit and give me the plans so I could build it. Very interested in buying 2 if I could get box to fit. I will buy today if this would be possible. Thanks for any ideas.

I looking at getting 2-12's. I'm going to put them in my son's car 2000 grand am gt. Trunk space I have to work with is, 37w x 15h x 18d. Could I fit a dual ported box in there? And could you design a box that would fit and give me the plans so I could build it. Very interested in buying 2 if I could get box to fit. I will buy today if this would be possible. Thanks for any ideas.

That's plenty of room for two 12's in a ported enclosure. I would contact DC Creations or RAM Designs about enclosure plans and/or building the enclosure for you.

drop this guy a PM and go from there!

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/user/17102-ram-designs/

While the WinISD graphs aren't going to predict response in a real world scenario, it successfuly puts all woofers on the same plane, to be compared without bias.

It really doesn't even do that... the real responses aren't like the graphs at all when we measured them.

These days I don't use a box program for anything more than calculating port tuning as they are so often separated by a big margin from what really happens.

not bashing or anything, but if you dont see the graph, how do you figure what tune you want? do you base it on the music you listen to, how low you wanna get, or spl?

not bashing or anything, but if you dont see the graph, how do you figure what tune you want? do you base it on the music you listen to, how low you wanna get, or spl?

There's a pretty good port size calculator in WinISD. You put the frequency and box size, along with what port shape you want and it will tell you the dimensions of the port.

How are you measuring them?