Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

Blown or damaged woofer?

Hey fellas. My brother called me up yesterday saying his subwoofer was making a funny buzzing noise. The woofer resides in a sealed box we made for his truck (custom console). He said that he hadn't driven his truck in about 3 weeks, and when he had driven it last it hadn't made any noises. I was there when we installed about a year ago, and it sounded wonderful actually. The woofer in question is a IA Death Row, wired to 1-ohm. Since I live a few states over, I had him take the woofer out of the box and put a meter on the coils. Both of the coils read fine as they would brand new. I told him to press on the cone to see if he could hear/feel any rubbing. He said no, it was smooth. We then went on to play a little free air and he made a video of it. This was done with very low volume and the woofer barely moving, and there was a god awful rattle noise to it. The cone hadn't have been moving more then 4-5mm. I can post the video if you guys want, but could the woofer really be damaged with both coils reading fine, no rubbing or noise when pressing on the cone (moving more then it was when free-airing it).

The power wouldn't be much more than 500 watts I would say at most. This is hooked up to a rockford p1000-1bd. He doesn't ever play it loud or anything in his truck. So I find this an interesting problem, especially since the last time he drove and parked his truck it was just fine.

What are all your thoughts on this?

Dustcap rattle probably if so then just take it off and reglue

I shoud also say the rattle only happens at higher frequencies during the free-air. When playing lower frequency bass or tones the rattle doesn't happen. So is this really a sign of dust cap being lose or a small air leak in it?

Sounds like a loose dustcap.

Would he really have to remove the dust cap to fix it? Or could he just run another bead of adhesive around the outside. I know the latter option has the potential to come out looking like ass. But it makes me nervous for him to also have to cut and remove the dust cap.

i had my dr for 2 years and did my best to blow it. never had problems loose dust cap sounds strange.

i had my dr for 2 years and did my best to blow it. never had problems loose dust cap sounds strange.

Ya, I had it for about 6 months then moved to an xcon. I gave it as well as my old amp to my brother for his truck. He said that the last time he had listened to it it was just fine. The other morning he had got in truck and it was pretty cold out, went to the store to get wood and noticed the rattling sound from the sub. So not sure what happened from when he parked it to now, but something did. I just want to rule stuff out before it is decided to get a recone for it.

idk run your finger nail under the cap see if anything feels kinda lose id guess