Sign in to follow this  
Jays04TSX-E

2 fault messages

So we installed my 350 SMD with external regulator on my Sierra. When not using the factory harness, I have a message on my instrument cluster saying "battery not charging". Ok understandable, the CPU is not seeing the signal, so we called and emailed Matt. He told us about the jumper to run (the L terminal I believe) but that didn't clear the message. ON TOP of this, the build was done, so I went to drive it home from my buddys shop and had a low brake pedal. Pulling out to the first stop sign, I now have a "service brake booster" light on my instrument cluster. I did some research on it when I got home and I think the 2 messages are tied together versus me having bad luck----a leaking booster. Sorry so long, just wanna know if anyone else had the same problem and how was it fixed.

The brake booster fault message is not charging system related, make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect something when installing the unit.

As for the message center, when the correct wire is powered the message center will see proper voltage and know that the vehicle is charging.

some there a leaner in the area while installing? i have caught people leaning on the master cylinder while watching others work.. bad idea they are pretty weak

some there a leaner in the area while installing? i have caught people leaning on the master cylinder while watching others work.. bad idea they are pretty weak

No leaners. No loose connections. I see no signs of leaking brake fluid anywhere.

The brake booster fault message is not charging system related, make sure you didn't accidentally disconnect something when installing the unit.

As for the message center, when the correct wire is powered the message center will see proper voltage and know that the vehicle is charging.

Nothing was accidentally disconnected and I believe your statement about the message center seeing the proper voltage but we connected the exact jumper that Matt said to and still have the message in the message center.

My vehicle has whats called a supplemental brake assist motor, it is a extra vacuum pump to supply extra vacuum in low vacuum conditions such as accel or if the booster failed. It runs a self test every time you start the vehicle for 1 second, and if the IPC (instrument panel) does not see that the test completes 5 times in a row it turns on the "Service Brake Booster" message. This is the message I am getting as well as "Battery not charging" They are related. I believe on my factory alternator plug that the blue one is for the supplemental brake assist. So this clearly needs to be ran as a jumper to.............where?? Matt? Anyone?

The reason why you're getting this message is because one of the following:

alternator regulator doesn't have a "P" terminal

"P" Terminal is not connected to alternator regulator.

The reason why you're getting this message is because one of the following:

alternator regulator doesn't have a "P" terminal

"P" Terminal is not connected to alternator regulator.

The message center gets power from the factory regulator as key-on power. In order to correct the message center warning when using an external regulator it is necessary to jump the appropriate pin in the factory alternator plug to key-on power. This can be from the switched power location on the external regulator and will allow the message center to function as normal.

The message center gets power from the factory regulator as key-on power. In order to correct the message center warning when using an external regulator it is necessary to jump the appropriate pin in the factory alternator plug to key-on power. This can be from the switched power location on the external regulator and will allow the message center to function as normal.

+1

Make sure you have the alt hooked into the right Pin for the "ignition on" switch

turn your key into the on position (dont start the car) and check for 12v with a dmm in the stock harness/plug that u have the alt hooked into

Edited by 14K